Upgrading to Windows 10

Started by Bud Kennedy, July 21, 2016, 07:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

After all this time I have finally started the upgrade process for windows 10 on the Mrs. computer.  About half way through the download.  I know I am late to the game but it was about time for the free upgrade to expire so what the heck.  I guess us old guys are just slow to change sometimes.

Polaris425

Id have stayed with 8. Lol. My PC at work was a forced updated.

Posted via TapaTalk for iPhone6
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Lipripper

Mine has Windows 7 and as long as it works I won't upgrade. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cojab

I've been debating whether to do the update or not.
I think I am staying with 8 unless I am forced to do the change.
TTK has spoken.

Pferox

I went from 7 to 10 and haven't had a problem except for a couple of drivers that Windows didn't automatically install.  Most of our peripherals are pretty new, so no problems with those.  I built our desktops almost 8 years ago and are still flying.  Probably going to have to think about an upgrade cycle for them soon, since just about everything else has been.  ~b~

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

boydn1

8 I would upgrade, 7 I would not.
My two windows 7 machines I use for Windows Media Center which will not work on Win 10..

Dark3

I would agree with boydn1 on this.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

the system had Win 7 Pro and the download of 10 went smoothly.  The install is currently underway and is sitting right now at 91% complete.  Seems like everything is doing well at this time. It will be interesting to see what drivers might need some attention during the set up.

Pacific NW Ron

I haven't done it yet either.  As far as what I use a computer for I'm fine with what I have.  I see no need to change. 
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Bud Kennedy

As it turns out, the Mrs. old computer is NOT windows 10 capable.  So, I guess we just stay on win 7

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: boydn1 on July 21, 2016, 09:07:25 AM
My two windows 7 machines I use for Windows Media Center which will not work on Win 10..
Actually there is a workaround to get Media Center to run on Windows 10 but it is a royal pain in the backside. If Media Center is important to you then you are better off sticking with 7.

Sent from my STUDIO X PLUS using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

cojab

Quote from: boydn1 on July 21, 2016, 09:07:25 AM

This has probably been hashed out already, but what are the advantages/differences to Windows 10 from 8?
TTK has spoken.

Oldfart9999

The laptop I bought came with windows 10, finally getting used to it. It had Word 2013, couldn't stand it so I deleted it and installed my word 2007 program, hate having to learn upgrades I don't need. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Kris

When I retired from AAA in January I had planned on going to work for an automotive engineering company as a field investigator.  I got a new laptop and an HP tower to get me going.  The laptop was Windows 7 from the start as specified by the company.  The HP was also Windows 7 but had that upgrade anytime deal for Windows 10.  Couldn't stand the suspense and upgraded it to Windows 10 several months ago.  I have not had many problems with this at all.  Like some I had, still have, some driver update problems but all in all I am happy.  I did lose my scan and fax that worked with my HP 3 in 1 printer but I will get that straightened out.  I think it was a Microsoft add on so it shouldn't be hard to find.  The printer is on my home network so it can print wirelessly from the laptop.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Princeton_Man

I've performed a few upgrades at work, because I know 2020 is just around the corner. That's when Microsoft will no longer patch Windows 7. Microsoft's "free upgrade" was an attempt to catch up with Apple and be able to say 90% of Windows users use the latest operating system. For most users, there isn't a lot of pain involved, particularly if they are already familiar with the interface differences from Windows 7 but, Windows 10 does break things with some software packages.

Windows 8 IMHO was mostly a disaster in the business world. I don't think I've ever accepted a new Microsoft operating system that hasn't been out at least five years and rarely move my office to one until our current OS is reaching the end of support, primarily for security reasons.

There is a free open source app called GWX Control that will remove the Windows 10 upgrade nags and remove all the Windows 10 apps that Microsoft has slipped into the Windows 7 patches over the past few years. I use it at work and home.  Here's a link for anyone interested. http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Good luck Bud!
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

I am a Mac guy and seldom do anything with a windows based machine.  I was dreading trying to upgrade the wife's PC and was surprised that win 10 could not be used with this older system.  My Mac is also an older platform and it has reached the end of it's capability as well.  I have maxed out the memory and most likely will have to get another one some time if the operating systems continue to grow as large as they have been.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Princeton_Man on July 22, 2016, 06:54:05 AM
I've performed a few upgrades at work, because I know 2020 is just around the corner. That's when Microsoft will no longer patch Windows 7. Microsoft's "free upgrade" was an attempt to catch up with Apple and be able to say 90% of Windows users use the latest operating system. For most users, there isn't a lot of pain involved, particularly if they are already familiar with the interface differences from Windows 7 but, Windows 10 does break things with some software packages.

Windows 8 IMHO was mostly a disaster in the business world. I don't think I've ever accepted a new Microsoft operating system that hasn't been out at least five years and rarely move my office to one until our current OS is reaching the end of support, primarily for security reasons.

There is a free open source app called GWX Control that will remove the Windows 10 upgrade nags and remove all the Windows 10 apps that Microsoft has slipped into the Windows 7 patches over the past few years. I use it at work and home.  Here's a link for anyone interested. http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Good luck Bud!
My son doesn't want to upgrade his gaming system from 8.1 I told him about the GWX app about 3 months ago when I read an article on it. He downloaded it and all his malware and security software said it contains malicious code and wouldn't let it install. If it is working for you maybe I should tell him to give it another shot. Sometimes these programs see certain code as malicious when it is not.

Also, I heard MS was supposed to be including an option to decline the upgrade permanently, but so far no one I know has seen that option on the form that pops up to remind you time is running out to get the upgrade for free.

Princeton_Man

As long as he gets it from ultimateoutsider.com, should be safe.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks Jim. I'll let him know.

rockchalk06

I've been a Mac user all my computer life. When I took this job 4.5 years ago, I had to learn PC's. We work with Windows 7 on all our machines. Just when I finally got used to it, I had to get a new laptop for work due to the university's policy on encryption and it came with Windows 10.

2 days of playing with it and I'm hooked. I'm fairly impressed. It's not my 2015 Air or 2013 iMac, but it's a damn good machine.

boydn1

I still don't want to do it but, if you have a pointer to where the procedure is, I'd like to see how they did it.
Thanks

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on July 21, 2016, 07:47:31 PM
Actually there is a workaround to get Media Center to run on Windows 10 but it is a royal pain in the backside. If Media Center is important to you then you are better off sticking with 7.

Drake691

I know I'm not doing it. I may be bias because I work for Apple tech support but I've run into so many windows 10 issues
I have lots of great personality traits. Or as my doctor calls them, symptoms.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: boydn1 on July 25, 2016, 07:41:03 AM
I still don't want to do it but, if you have a pointer to where the procedure is, I'd like to see how they did it.
Thanks

Here ya go. Media Center On Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please read all of the warnings on the page. The source of the files is NOT verified. To date there are no known issues but after downloading you should run a security scan on the file before installing it just to be safe since things change so quickly.

You may also want to wait until after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out on August 2nd. I don't know if this will run on the update and need to be patched or if the update would uninstall it and you would have to reinstall all over again.

Pferox

I'm pretty sure that after the Anniversary, unless they extend it, they will pull the free update stuff.  Then again who knows with Microsoft.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Smallie_Stalker

You could be right Jim. With Windows 10 falling under the category of "Software As A Service" it seems to imply that at some point that "service" will no longer be free.  And MS is definitely not known for their generosity.  ~shade