Everglades US 27 West Side 6/26/16

Started by Capt. BassinLou, June 26, 2016, 08:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Went fishing today with BIL on US 27, and fished the finger channels.
Conditions: Winds from the SE at 5-10 mph Outside temps Low 90's Humidity: high, Water temps 89.5 degrees. Water Clarity: Clear. Current: Very light to the South. Weather: Several T-storms in the vicinity.

What I report from here, I swear I cannot make up.

Our outing was scheduled to be a short trip. I rarely go out on my boat on Sunday's  but I really wanted to fish with the frog so we decided to fish from 4pm to 7pm. We hit the road by 2:45pm and shortly after, as far as the eye could see were brake lights along the Interstate. We got off on the next exit and went another way, and made it to the ramp exactly at 4pm.

Backed the boat down and as I went to unhook the boat, the roller, broke off. No biggie, easy fix. Before backing down, however I did notice dark cloud formations a few miles to the North. I told my BIL, that it was headed our way and he said they weren't. Proceeded about a half mile South to start fishing, and the formation got bigger and darker and thunder could be heard. I reeled in my line and headed right back to the ramp. Beached my boat, and proceeded to my truck. 2 min later it was pouring.

After about 25 min of sitting in the truck, the storm moved past us and we got back into the boat and ran South again. The fish were showing signs of activity, I missed a blow up and my line threw a loop and knot in my spool.  ~rant  After about five min and no luck undoing the loop and knot, I decided to retire my reel, and take out my spare reel. Proceeded to fish and started getting some aggressive strikes and landing a couple fish. Feeling the fishing momentum building, my next cast, I threw toward what I thought was a log, instead it was a decent size gator. It swung its head around and caught my frog. After battling the gator and noticing that the frog could not be recovered I told my BIL to cut my line.

Took out a new frog, and was finally starting to settle down, when my BIL got hung on some brush. Proceeded over to his frog and as I reached to undo his frog, I mistakenly placed my foot outside the boat onto the bank, and upon doing that lost my footing and fell feet first into the water. Fortunately, I was right next to the bank and the water was about 3 feet deep. Couple of more feet and I would have slipped off the drop off. Yikes!! In one swift motion placed my foot on the deck of my boat and I got myself out of the water. After a few  ^-^ and  ^-^.. I continued to fish. 30 min later after I missed another nice blow up, and I kid you all not, I threw the exact same loop and knot in the spool of my spare reel. After I let out another  ^-^ and  ^-^. I told my BIL sorry, but I had enough of the bull crap and there were too many things going wrong. He agreed and we headed in and made it home at 7pm the time I said I wanted to stop fishing.  :'( The kicker of all this is that we left with fish biting!!  ~rant... ~xyz....

My day in perspective. Weird. Too many things going wrong. From the traffic, the roller, T-storms, reel #1 issue, Gator taking my frog, falling into the water, and Reel issue #2. The universe was trying to tell me something and it only took 7 signs to convince me to go home...  lo

The good news is that in the 1.5 hrs of actual fishing we got to do I caught 3 fish frogging.  ;D

SFL BassHunter

Dang that is a weird day. Sorry it didn't go that well.

Sent from my iPhone powered by Dark Side of The Force
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: rickdelprado on June 26, 2016, 08:19:58 PM
Dang that is a weird day. Sorry it didn't go that well.

Sent from my iPhone powered by Dark Side of The Force
Thanks Rick, weird indeed ... lol!!

flowerjohn

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 26, 2016, 08:10:18 PM
Went fishing today with BIL on US 27, and fished the finger channels.
Conditions: Winds from the SE at 5-10 mph Outside temps Low 90's Humidity: high, Water temps 89.5 degrees. Water Clarity: Clear. Current: Very light to the South. Weather: Several T-storms in the vicinity.

What I report from here, I swear I cannot make up.

Our outing was scheduled to be a short trip. I rarely go out on my boat on Sunday's  but I really wanted to fish with the frog so we decided to fish from 4pm to 7pm. We hit the road by 2:45pm and shortly after, as far as the eye could see were brake lights along the Interstate. We got off on the next exit and went another way, and made it to the ramp exactly at 4pm.

Backed the boat down and as I went to unhook the boat, the roller, broke off. No biggie, easy fix. Before backing down, however I did notice dark cloud formations a few miles to the North. I told my BIL, that it was headed our way and he said they weren't. Proceeded about a half mile South to start fishing, and the formation got bigger and darker and thunder could be heard. I reeled in my line and headed right back to the ramp. Beached my boat, and proceeded to my truck. 2 min later it was pouring.

After about 25 min of sitting in the truck, the storm moved past us and we got back into the boat and ran South again. The fish were showing signs of activity, I missed a blow up and my line threw a loop and knot in my spool.  ~rant  After about five min and no luck undoing the loop and knot, I decided to retire my reel, and take out my spare reel. Proceeded to fish and started getting some aggressive strikes and landing a couple fish. Feeling the fishing momentum building, my next cast, I threw toward what I thought was a log, instead it was a decent size gator. It swung its head around and caught my frog. After battling the gator and noticing that the frog could not be recovered I told my BIL to cut my line.

Took out a new frog, and was finally starting to settle down, when my BIL got hung on some brush. Proceeded over to his frog and as I reached to undo his frog, I mistakenly placed my foot outside the boat onto the bank, and upon doing that lost my footing and fell feet first into the water. Fortunately, I was right next to the bank and the water was about 3 feet deep. Couple of more feet and I would have slipped off the drop off. Yikes!! In one swift motion placed my foot on the deck of my boat and I got myself out of the water. After a few  ^-^ and  ^-^.. I continued to fish. 30 min later after I missed another nice blow up, and I kid you all not, I threw the exact same loop and knot in the spool of my spare reel. After I let out another  ^-^ and  ^-^. I told my BIL sorry, but I had enough of the bull crap and there were too many things going wrong. He agreed and we headed in and made it home at 7pm the time I said I wanted to stop fishing.  :'( The kicker of all this is that we left with fish biting!!  ~rant... ~xyz....

My day in perspective. Weird. Too many things going wrong. From the traffic, the roller, T-storms, reel #1 issue, Gator taking my frog, falling into the water, and Reel issue #2. The universe was trying to tell me something and it only took 7 signs to convince me to go home...  lo

The good news is that in the 1.5 hrs of actual fishing we got to do I caught 3 fish frogging.  ;D

Lou! It's fishin and if we didn't all go out there then this stuff wouldn't happen!  It's better than sittin home readin the paper !! Sorry for your luck but glad you got out to have it Lou !! Cheers   J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Holy crap, now that should have been on film. Lol. It was not a good day all round for fishing I guess.

<")))<{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 26, 2016, 08:39:25 PM
Holy crap, now that should have been on film. Lol. It was not a good day all round for fishing I guess.

<")))<{
Thankgoodness that was not  on film... you guys would have had ammunition on me for years!! Lol!!

ccr425

Sorry about the bad day and having to hang it up early Lou. We've all had days like this one. I'm sure you'll make up for it another day! Still made for a nice report!  ;D

Pferox

Rule #1:  If it is a crap day, make sure you can make a great story out of it.

Lou, you blew rule #1 outta the ball park with this one, and I bet you and your BIL will talk and laugh about it for years to come.

Thanks for sharing.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

West6550

My sergeant jumped in after his reel one time after saying "it's only 3 ft deep" to this day we laugh about it lol I heard his words.. a splash and turned to see his nose and hat in the water lol.. 3 ft of mud under that 3 ft of water lol

Lou just be glad you didn't get caught on that "log" and step out by the gator lol!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: West6550 on June 27, 2016, 12:47:51 AM
My sergeant jumped in after his feel one time after saying "it's only 3 ft deep" to this day we laugh about it lol I heard his words.. a splash and turned to see his nose and hat in the water lol.. 3 ft of mud under that 3 ft of water lol

Lou just be glad you didn't get caught on that "log" and step out by the gator lol!
WEST, lol.. you got that right

Deadeye

Dang what a trip! Thanks for sharing

Canesfan

Good thing no gator was nearby when you went in. Just add it to the stories for the grandkids one day.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Canesfan on June 27, 2016, 07:18:37 AM
Good thing no gator was nearby when you went in. Just add it to the stories for the grandkids one day.
Yeah, my 10 yr old got kick of hearing his old man fell out of the boat. First thing he asked was about the gators... We laugh about it, but I was lucky.

Lipripper

Lou some days are better than others and you don't need too many like this one. :o ~sweat Glad you didn't have a gator by you when you went in the water. Well at least you caught some fish,

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

big g

Wow, that's one hell of a day!  If you fish a lot those days happen once in a while.  Next outing will make up for that.  Losing that frog would really tick me off.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on June 27, 2016, 12:05:16 PM
Wow, that's one hell of a day!  If you fish a lot those days happen once in a while.  Next outing will make up for that.  Losing that frog would really tick me off.

George, it was one heck of an outing indeed. I still  ^-^ I lost my frog, they aren't cheap..  lo

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 27, 2016, 12:20:08 PM
George, it was one heck of an outing indeed. I still  ^-^ I lost my frog, they aren't cheap..  lo
Better a frog than a finger trying to get it back. lo lo

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lipripper on June 27, 2016, 12:22:36 PM
Better a frog than a finger trying to get it back. lo lo
Yeah, I wasn't going to try with this particular gator. Sometimes gators just grab and hold to frog and after a while just release it, this one got both hooks stuck on the side of its jaws...game over.. :(

Lipripper

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lipripper on June 27, 2016, 12:34:45 PM
Did it have a nice run. lo lo

The LSCR handled that gator with no problem. But, I wasn't there to fish for gators, so when I saw where the frog was hooked, I told my BIL to cut the braid as close as he possibly could.

West6550

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 27, 2016, 12:40:10 PM
The LSCR handled that gator with no problem. But, I wasn't there to fish for gators, so when I saw where the frog was hooked, I told my BIL to cut the braid as close as he possibly could.
Smart.. making the BIL to cut it "as close as possible" as Lou is yelling "braid ain't cheap get closer" lol poor BIL is having a intimate eye to eye moment with the gator lmao

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: West6550 on June 27, 2016, 01:36:42 PM
Smart.. making the BIL to cut it "as close as possible" as Lou is yelling "braid ain't cheap get closer" lol poor BIL is having a intimate eye to eye moment with the gator lmao
Too funny. I wasn't going to let him hold my custom rod so that I could cut the line.. lmao!!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 27, 2016, 01:40:07 PM
Too funny. I wasn't going to let him hold my custom rod so that I could cut the line.. lmao!!

~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

Thats funny right there!!  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 27, 2016, 01:40:07 PM
Oh I see you like him but not that much. lo lo

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lipripper on June 27, 2016, 02:53:31 PM
Oh I see you like him but not that much. lo lo
He's the adventurous type. Seriously speaking though, he cut the braid a pretty good distance from the gator. I couldn't begin to explain to my SIL if a gator bites my BIL... lol!!