Fury Spinning Rod

Started by PA Jimmy, July 03, 2016, 05:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Jimmy

I need a couple new spinning rods for smallmouth fishing. I'm not sure which of the two Fury's to purchase. I'm looking for something to throw a variety of lures (4" tubes with a 1/8-1/4 oz head, 1/8-1/4 oz shaky head worms, 1/8-3/8 oz grubs and finesse jigs). I'm fishing mostly in lakes. Should I purchase two of the MF or one MF and one MLF? (I already have a drop shot and senko rod).

Also, how do these rods compare to the St. Croix Premier series?

steve76

I would get two 703's. I bought a 702 Fury for shakey heads and didn't think it was stiff enough. I use it for drop shots now. The 703 would be a versatile finesse rod for the things you mentioned.

Mike Cork

A ML is going to be too light for a 1/4 ounce jig head with a 4 inch tube and you'll think the same thing when throwing a 3/8 ounce finesse jig with any kind of trailer at all. The 703 will probably be your best fit.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Tylermsawmiller

I've got a Champion 763 (discontinued)  that I use for drop shotting. I use a 3/8 Oz weight plus plastic, hook, and barrel swivel.

I wish I would of bought ten of them. Not sure if that's the information to help you, but just what I use and love for drifting erie and st clair.

Ralph

Wish I would have seen this thread a day earlier. I just ordered a 702 Fury yesterday for dropshot and shakeyhead. Was torn between the 02 and 03 but went with the lighter. Oh well, cant have too many rods!

Mike Cork

You might love the 702, Jimmy is using some pretty heavy baits. So depending on what size shakey head you're using it could be perfect

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Ralph

Probably 3/16 or maybe up to 1/4. I've got other rods that can throw heavier if needed, albeit without the sensitivity that the Fury likely has. Either way, I'm excited to get this out on the water.

Gary Dobyns

When Shakey heads are mentioned I recommend 703 SF automatically. You need a bit more power to drive hook through worm for good hook-ups. The 702 SF really shines as drop shot rod, dart head rods ( this is real popular in west only, not much cover in a lot of our lakes ), or anything with exposed hook. But, many guys just like a bit softer tip and prefer 702 SF. The 703 SF will do it all. This is not a club for a rod. Great tip and will work with all techniques listed in question. Many times it comes down to angler preference. The sales in the two spinning models is almost identical. So both are very popular. THX!!!!

Ralph

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on July 06, 2016, 11:34:58 AM
When Shakey heads are mentioned I recommend 703 SF automatically. You need a bit more power to drive hook through worm for good hook-ups. The 702 SF really shines as drop shot rod, dart head rods ( this is real popular in west only, not much cover in a lot of our lakes ), or anything with exposed hook. But, many guys just like a bit softer tip and prefer 702 SF. The 703 SF will do it all. This is not a club for a rod. Great tip and will work with all techniques listed in question. Many times it comes down to angler preference. The sales in the two spinning models is almost identical. So both are very popular. THX!!!!

Thanks Gary for all that info. I'll try out the 702 and see how it goes. If I feel like I need more backbone for SH, I'll hit you guys up for a 703.  ~cf