Thank you computer geek...

Started by Oldfart9999, June 25, 2016, 02:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

My wife's best friends son and his daughter were over for a visit, David and I got to talking and I asked him how to open a zip file, Lowrance updates come as a zip file and have to be opened to send a upd file to an SD card to update your unit, neither my laptop or my PC would open it, they sent the file to media player. David told me about 7 zip, a free app for opening zip files, loads in a heartbeat, I opened the HDSGEN2 5.5 update in 7 zip and it was ready to send to the card, took the card to my unit and it is now updated. Nice having friends that are puter literate. ~c~ ~c~
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Sounds like your default program for zip file extensions got changed. You really didn't have to have 7zip. If you right click a file and select Open with  , you can select the program you wish to open the file with, in your case WIndows Explorer would be the choice.

You can change your default programs by changing the file associations. This is directly from Microsoft's TechNet site.

Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use, by default.

If a program does not show up in the list, you can make the program a default by using Set Associations.

• Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button  and then clicking Default Programs.
  • Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
  • Click the file type or protocol that you want the program to act as the default for.
  • Click Change program.
  • Click the program that you want to use as the default for the file type you selected, or click the arrow next to Other Programs to show additional programs. (If you don't see Other Programs, or your program is not listed, click Browse to find the program you want to use, and then click Open. If no other programs are installed that are able to open the file type or protocol, your choices will be limited.)

If you don't see the program you want to use as the default, click the arrow next to Other Programs to see a list of programs available on your computer.
  • Click OK.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Thanks PM, set it to windows explorer.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

Here's a second approach that may save you a few steps or to try if you run into a snag with Jim's method.

If you have Media Player I am guessing you are still running Windows 7 so I don't know if you have this option or not, but if I right-click on a zip file there is an option in the context menu that pops up that says "Extract All". If I click this I can choose where to extract the files to.

In the past I have extracted directly to external drives, so I don't see why you couldn't extract directly to the card for your unit.  :-*

Not stepping on Jim's toes. Just always good to have a few options in case one or the other doesn't work for you for some reason.   ~sun
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

No prob Jim, don't feel stepped on at all. lo

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club