Considering a 2012 Bass Tracker 175 TXW

Started by Wetahook, August 03, 2016, 04:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wetahook

I'm new to  bass boats and would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on the 2012 Bass Tracker 175 TXW.  Looking at one with a 60hp 4 stroke Merc. at a price around 10K.  Good boat for the $$s??? and any thoughts on other options.  Also, opinions on upgrading the TM to a MK70 24v.  Does the boat have room for a 3rd Battery and charger.  Thanks for any and all feedback.. Again I'm new to bass boats and looking to get an entry level rig at an affordable price.. Thanks for your thoughts on the Tracker....

cojab

I have no experience with that particular boat. However, I was in your exact spot a year ago. I picked up a 98 PT 185 with a 90 HP Merc on it for $3500. It needed a bit of work but nothing too bad. It has been a good starter boat for me.
It fishes two people easily and a third is possible. It is a bit narrow and will roll a bit when someone gets on the sides. It does blow around in the wind a lot.
The ride is surprisingly pretty good. It handles small chop well without soaking you if trimmed correctly. I only get wet when the wind is blowing the spray back at you.

It had a 12/24 volt MG trolling motor on it when I bought it. I changed to a 65 lb MK Powerdrive 24 volt and am getting ready to upgrade to an 80 lb thrust MK Terrova or MG xi5 soon. The 80 should scoot it around very well. Mine had plenty of room for the third battery. I put a charger under the seat originally but had to replace that one. The new one I placed in the fuel tank/battery compartment but have not mounted it yet. When I get home I pull it out and set it on the transom area and plug it in. It's worked for me so far.

I am happy with the purchase but am glad I didn't pay more for it. Not because it's not worth it, but because I should be able to get all my money back out of it when I can afford to upgrade.

Good luck on your search.
TTK has spoken.

Oldfart9999

Wet, welcome aboard the UB site!! Don't forget the new members contest, great prizes if you win! Check out the other boards and jump in or ask questions, it's all good! That's a 4 year old boat, what shape is it in? Only you can answer that, if it is super sharp with low hours it can be a great deal. As far as a third battery, I'm not sure, you'll have to do a bit of measuring.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

31airborne

welcome aboard!

this is a terrific first boat but don't let that comment fool you - this boat has a ton of capability in it.  it'll also allow you to fish areas no glas boat can get to.  the 60 hp 4-stroker is a superb match.  price sounds/looks typical for that year/model.

yes, make the upgrade to the 24v TM.  you have room but it'll be tight.  you wilol not get 31 series batts in there.  may have to compromise and use 27s (maybe even 24s) but your stay time and performance will be significantly enhanced.  consider adding a 3-bank charger when you make this upgrade.  that'll allow you to charge all three at the same time.

good luck!

cojab

Quote from: cojab on August 03, 2016, 11:47:36 PM

I am happy with the purchase but am glad I didn't pay more for it. Not because it's not worth it, but because I should be able to get all my money back out of it when I can afford to upgrade.

Good luck on your search.

Yeah, I should clarify that statement. When I upgrade, I am referring to another aluminum and another Tracker is certainly on the list of boats I will be looking at. Just something newer with all the bells and whistles.
An aluminum to me represents a good value, easy to tow behind my truck and camper, and it fits the way and places I fish. I pull into some pretty thin water with lots of weeds and branches etc. and I don't worry too much about it getting beat up.

If I remember there is another thread in here about that same boat. They also asked about the batteries and they found you could do three. 31airborne is correct though. I think they were 27's.
TTK has spoken.

LgMouthGambler

Welcome to UB! Bass Trackers are hard to beat for the money. I will tell you that when I am ready to get me another boat, it will be a Tracker because they are built very well and are a fair price. Everyone that I know that has one, has very little issues with them, and service is great.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

West6550

My fishing buddy has one, a little newer mind you with a 60hp and it is a great boat. Takes a few to get you on plane but your not racing anyone anyway. His boat is an excellent fishing boat. The only down fall of them is the wood floors but they will last quite a long time before you have to worry about that. If the boat sat under a tree for a while I would check for a soft floor.

The trackers are great boats for the price and with some easy upgrades will be excellent boats. Like the TM upgrade and a good boat cover.

scbassfanatic

I don't have that same year model. Mine is an 05, but basically they are the same with a minor change in the front deck layout. I upgraded to a MK Edge 70 - 24 volt. Best upgrade so far. You can fit another battery in the back. It is close. But will work. For now I am using a trickle charger for the starter battery and the dual back on the TM batteries. The 70 is swift. I did not have to change out the wiring or the circuit breaker. But I did learn the hard way to change out the plug. I also suggest adding the recessed TM tray. Another great upgrade.

Pros - Easy to tow. Low draft, you can pretty much can go anywhere with these. Great fuel economy. Mine has a 2 stroke 50.
Cons - Do not like the wind very much. It is manageable, but can get aggravating. Wood floors. Rod box (if yours has the center rod box this may not be an issue, mine was on the side and did not hold rods to my satisfaction so I opened it up a bit with a sawzall to fix that issue)

LgMouthGambler

Dont worry about the floors, Tracker deck material is a seven ply marine grade wood laminate and is lifetime warranted. You will have no issue. They are better in my opinion than an all aluminum deck due to its rigidity and they are more sound deadening.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

West6550

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 04, 2016, 02:49:22 PM
Dont worry about the floors, Tracker deck material is a seven ply marine grade wood laminate and is lifetime warranted. You will have no issue. They are better in my opinion than an all aluminum deck due to its rigidity and they are more sound deadening.
Except for a foam filled one ;-)

They are great boats. I had a 2001 Alumacraft with the original wood floors and it was perfectly fine. Like I said before you have a long time until they would be an issue. Unless you didn't care for it. Same with a glass boat.. though. You let it sit under a tree for a while with out a cover or cleaning it out and it will rot. Warranty or not.

LgMouthGambler

An aluminum deck boat that has foam filling had nothing to do with deck rigidity. Remember, the hatches are not access to a compartments filled with foam. All boats are filled with foam, it's for buoyancy. Walk on the deck of a boat with aluminum deck and hatches vs one with a good grade wood deck and you can tell a big difference in the sound it makes as you walk along it. That sound travels. Main reason why I have the rubber in between my deck and my boats cross sections, as well as the bottom areas.

<")))>{

Oldfart9999

If you take care of the bot the wood deck will last as long as you keep the boat. Always unhook the trailer when you get home, raise the jack all the way and if it's sunny or windy or both leave the cover off to allow it to dry. Don't keep it under a tree unless it's covered. Keep the boat covered or inside when it's dry. I have a boat that is 21 years old and the wood deck is rock solid, wish I had indoor storage, I'd like to replace the carpet.
Rodney

West6550

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 04, 2016, 11:12:26 PM
An aluminum deck boat that has foam filling had nothing to do with deck rigidity. Remember, the hatches are not access to a compartments filled with foam. All boats are filled with foam, it's for buoyancy. Walk on the deck of a boat with aluminum deck and hatches vs one with a good grade wood deck and you can tell a big difference in the sound it makes as you walk along it. That sound travels. Main reason why I have the rubber in between my deck and my boats cross sections, as well as the bottom areas.

<")))>{
Trackers have aluminum lids as well. Almost all mine have a welded brace like a glass boat. Say whatever you want. I have had several boats with wood and my current all weld foam filled aluminium boat is as quite as my Stratos was. Walking, wave slaps or jumping from deck to deck...it's quiet.

I am simply saying to care for the boat.. just like a glass boat and it will be just fine. But argue all you want how wood is better. It's not correct no matter how you spin it. Leave a piece of aluminum out in your yard vs a piece of wood and see which one last longer.

Sorry to jack the thread lol

Like I said in my first post they are great boats and you take care of it and she will last you a very long time.

Oh and just like you should check the floors in case it was not cared for you should have the engine looked at by someone you prefer. Compression test it as well. You never know how people do or don't care for the boats.

Goldstar225

I plan to buy a tracker 175 next spring.  If I find a 2012 at that price I'll be all over it.  If the boat checks out I say get it.

If you take care of it, don't concern yourself about the wood decking.  My present boat is an 1987 Tracker TX17.  I didn't need to replace the wood until the boat was 28 years old and that's because the prior owner stored it under an awning that allowed rain to soak the front of the casting deck.  The wood flooring was still solid, I just went ahead and replaced it since I also re-carpeted the boat.   

wvridgerider

I am considering the same boat but a 2010 model with a 50 2stroke. It is at a dealer and they want 9k. I only looked at it online and the one concern is the seats are seperated at the seam, to me it may have been out uncovered. I will look at it but not going to rush into things. My son is crazy about fishing and the high school started a team so maybe it is time to get one.
After reading these posts I will check the flooring extra careful. Not sure but maybe the seats are telling me something. All info will help. 

Oldfart9999

Quote from: wvridgerider on September 21, 2017, 07:20:25 PM
I am considering the same boat but a 2010 model with a 50 2stroke. It is at a dealer and they want 9k. I only looked at it online and the one concern is the seats are seperated at the seam, to me it may have been out uncovered. I will look at it but not going to rush into things. My son is crazy about fishing and the high school started a team so maybe it is time to get one.
After reading these posts I will check the flooring extra careful. Not sure but maybe the seats are telling me something. All info will help.
The seats can be reupholstered or replaced, if the decks are solid they can be re carpeted or covered in marine vinyl and a trolling motor tray can be installed. I would want a list of what they checked and found for the motor, a replacement won't be 2 stroke and will be expensive.
Rodney

Princeton_Man

Anytime I shop for boats, cars, guns, tractors, you name it. I pay attention to how the item was taken care of.

It can tell you a lot. A care that was never washed or cleaned out might not have had the oil changed, been greased, had the filters changed regularly either. A boat that's stored in the open without a cover, may not get scheduled maintenance/service, might have rodent damage, rotting foam fill, carpet and seat issues, who knows.

All that said, the owner of that boat might have fished it a lot. Damage from the sun and elements doesn't just occur from sitting unused.

Have the motor checked out and get a computer report with all the logged data from the motor.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 04, 2016, 11:12:26 PM

<")))>{

walk across the decks of any Ranger RT boats lately?

wvridgerider

Going to look at a 06 proteam 19 footer, one owner with a 90 four stroke. Hope it all looks good.

sticks

Bought a 2016 Lowe's stinger with a 60hp 4 stroke. Great motor can hardly hear it run! Moves the boat along well! Real similar to the bass trackers! Rough water will beat you to death... but that's the trade off going aluminum semi v Hull design. But yes I can take it on a electric only lake and with my upgraded 24v TM, breeze anywhere! The 24TM is a must upgrade! Great starter boats! I love mine!!❤️❤️❤️❤️

wvridgerider

OK now I came across a 2005 Crestliner 1754cx with a Merc 50 4 stroke 90 smoker 2 k more with the 90. He is asking 5900 for it and it has a garmin depth fish finder and one at the bow and a 24volt 70 pound trolling motor. It will need cleaned and the seats are a little rough. Anyone have one of these or have an opinion?