1985 ranger 373v.

Started by yota2000, August 20, 2016, 05:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yota2000

bought this gem a few weeks ago. took it out 3 times and has never fail to land a LMB. only problem is I have to shift it in neutral in order for it to start. does anyone know why or its because its a 30 year old motor.

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

Donald Garner

That's a nice looking Ranger ;) I really like those model of Rangers.  I had a friend that had an 1986 Ranger it was a 370 with an 150 Black Max.  It wouldn't start unless it was in neutral either. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bud Kennedy

OK, I just gotta ask.   Why would you want to start the motor when it is in gear?  I have owned boats for quite a number of years and they all had to be in neutral to start. 

Oldfart9999

It's a safety thing, imagine being in reverse with the stern pointed at the brand new Ranger 3 feet behind you.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

yota2000

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on August 21, 2016, 11:44:37 AM
OK, I just gotta ask.   Why would you want to start the motor when it is in gear?  I have owned boats for quite a number of years and they all had to be in neutral to start.
What I mean is press shift lock, push throttle forward (gear is disengage) before turning key to start. It will start at a higher idle before shifting it back into neutral position.

Princeton_Man

I understand what you're saying. I've had a couple of outboards that were like that. They liked a little extra throttle to start but once they fired you could pull it back to idle. Once warm, it wasn't necessary.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

yota2000

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 22, 2016, 06:13:01 AM
I understand what you're saying. I've had a couple of outboards that were like that. They liked a little extra throttle to start but once they fired you could pull it back to idle. Once warm, it wasn't necessary.
Ok thanks. Need to day more research on these old outboard.

krazjon

I recently bought a 1985 Ranger 371-V and learned of this feature (fairly new to bass boats).
Mine has a button on the base of the throttle arm that you press in to disengage drive and can rev the motor.
The switch is touchy and sometimes I have to try a couple times to get it to disengage.

yota2000

Quote from: krazjon on August 22, 2016, 07:56:22 PM
I recently bought a 1985 Ranger 371-V and learned of this feature (fairly new to bass boats).
Mine has a button on the base of the throttle arm that you press in to disengage drive and can rev the motor.
The switch is touchy and sometimes I have to try a couple times to get it to disengage.
Gratz on the boat, yeah I just wanted to know if this was normal lol. Seen all new boat with a turn key without this step makes me jelly. Mine doesn't have the problem your has, once it starts, shift back to neutral position and trottle away.

Princeton_Man

Newer motors with fuel injection and computers that adjust the amount of fuel eliminate a lot of steps. Bigwrench can probably explain it.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

ranger1882

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 22, 2016, 06:13:01 AM
82 375v with 86 135 black max ...works just like this
I don't fish to escape life...I fish to live it

Montyb64

I have to use the cold start, similar to the button on yours, sometimes all the way up to get mine to start. Motor is a 1977 evinrude 140... my boat guy said it wasn't a big deal, once it's warm it starts no problem.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk