Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I add a floor to my jon boat?  (Read 1628 times)

cortman

• Charter Member
  • Obsessive Fisherman
Should I add a floor to my jon boat?
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »

As the title suggests, I'm considering adding a subfloor to my 12' Tracker jon boat. What I'm really after is noise reduction, since anything that touches that aluminum floor sounds like a gun going off. Therefore I'm planning on installing marine carpet over the floor and benches, and can't decide if it's worth the trouble to add an aluminum floor that sits on the ribs, or just run the carpet on the existing floor. The one advantage I can see to adding the floor is that it would allow any water that might come aboard to run down to the back and not soak the carpet.
What do y'all think? Is it worth the extra time/work/money?

bigjim5589

• Charter Member
Re: Should I add a floor to my jon boat?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:40:02 PM »

My jon has been decked, so I would do it. When I bought it, it was already done. However it also adds a lot of extra weight, so take that into consideration. Part of the decking on mine was done with fiberglass covered plywood & part was done with a marine construction foam used in building boats also covered with fiberglass. All ( top side only) has been covered with marine grade carpet too. The plywood is less costly, but the foam doesn't rot.

I need to repair some of the wood decking now & replace the carpet, so nothing is forever!  ~shade
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:59:37 AM »

Mornin'
One of the things that I like is a flat floor with traction when wet.  You may have seen my thread in aluminum boats on the forum where I am redoing a Ouachita 16 footer.  I am assuming your Tracker is a modified v boat and you pull it on a trailer.  The following is personal opinion.
The easiest and lightest would be to go with an aluminum floor direct to the ribs.  You could then cover it in marine carpet and have an easier way to move around the boat.  This would reduce the noise of dropping something on the floor but not sure if it would greatly reduce it.  This would be the best bet if you put your boat in or on your vehicle to transport.
In my previous reservoir rig, Grumman V-jon, I built removable flat floors between the seats.  I used Azek, PVC wood, to build the floor supports.  This is lighter than wood and does not have the rot problem of wood.  I tried to keep the floor supports as short as possible to have as much depth in the boat as possible.  Marine plywood is recommended if you are going to cover it in carpet.  What I have done for my last two reservoir rigs is exterior grade plywood, two coats of Thompson's Water Seal and two coats of color, one with sand in walking areas for traction when wet.
On my latest reservoir rig I did go all out.  I used 4" Azek for the supports.  The front section is bolted to the front TM deck support and bolted to the rear section of floor.  This makes the front section 4" higher.  I used four long supports from bow to stern and then cross braced then where necessary.  I also installed two bell pedestal seats and a TM pedal pan.  You can see those pictures on this forum under "Aluminum Boats".
DO NOT use pressure treated plywood in your aluminum boat anywhere.  Pressure treated wood and aluminum should be considered enemies of each other.  A previous owner of my latest caused me to have the stern and front TM deck replaced on her.  DO use stainless screws with as deep penetration as you can to make it strong.  Good luck with your project.
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »

You have some good ideas here and what Kris said about pressure treated is true, it can kill your hull in a season. There is a website where you can get more ideas; Tinboats, it's free and has a lot of advice, instruction and ideas and you'll find projects with the same boat as your's.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Dark3

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »

Keep in mind the added weight. Most 12 footers don't have a very high max weight rating and once you add all the goodies and people there isn't usually much left. Its not only the loss of performance thats the issue with busting weight, if the boat gets a hole and it swamps, she is going down like a battleship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West6550

• Charter Member
  • 9 LB PB
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 10:35:53 PM »

I would just use some velcro tape and buy some rubber fatigue mat like the sell at Harbor Frieght or $10 and trim them and tape them down. They are light, water proof, comfy, and you could pull them in an out if you want.

Just an idea.

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »

I use this rubber matting that they use behind bars to prevent slippage and fatigue. Pretty similar to what West is talking about. You can get a big piece of this from Home Depot. Couple of zip ties to keep them in place. Also, I put it between the deck and cross braces to deaden sound.

<")))<{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »

I use this rubber matting that they use behind bars to prevent slippage and fatigue. Pretty similar to what West is talking about. You can get a big piece of this from Home Depot. Couple of zip ties to keep them in place. Also, I put it between the deck and cross braces to deaden sound.

<")))<{

For the middle of my center console boat I looked at those as well. For the price I ended up buying a rubber truck bed mat and cut it to an exact fit. Worked out pretty good and cheaper after I added up how many of those square pieces I'd need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West6550

• Charter Member
  • 9 LB PB
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »

A pack at Harbor Frieght is 25 square ft I believe and it is $10. They look like puzzle pieces. I cut one to make my bait well lid insulated and into a cooler.

Same thing LMG is talking about but no holes in them.

cortman

• Charter Member
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »

Thanks all who posted. There are some good ideas here. Now I'm torn between doing a floor and just laying down anti-fatigue mats like some of you do. The former looks nicer and seems like it would be sturdier/more permanent/less likely to shift around and stuff, while the latter is cheaper, easier to clean, and quicker to install...

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »

:-* You could go with the mats (cheaper, easier to clean, and quicker to install) and if you didn't like them you wouldn't be out much $$ and then you could go with the floor . ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cortman

• Charter Member
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 07:43:08 AM »

:-* You could go with the mats (cheaper, easier to clean, and quicker to install) and if you didn't like them you wouldn't be out much $$ and then you could go with the floor . ;D

That might be the answer right there. :)

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 11:19:46 PM »

Tractor Supply or Rural King have the rubber horse stall mats fairly cheap. The 3/4" thick ones are only $30. They are 4'x6' in size and you can cut these to fit with a utility knife. They're heavy so they will lay in place pretty well. But this will add weight also. There is also a 1/2" thick version too. Might cost less and save a little weight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.