First bass on a spook

Started by phred, August 30, 2016, 07:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phred

Finally, this one hit it after three zigs, if that's what you call it. About 2.5lbs. Lost count today.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Want to help returning vets? Check out the site.

www.armybassanglers.com/returningheroeshome/

flowerjohn

Real nice man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West6550

Smallie_Stalker

Congrats dude. ~c~  One of my favorite baits. And nothing beats the adrenaline rush of a top water bite. 😎

Sent from my STUDIO X PLUS using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Tavery5

Congrats, many a fish have fallen victim to the Zara Spook.   

A bit of trivia about the "SPOOK"  see if you can figure out how it got it's name.

31airborne

now THAT'S a thumb!  well done.  nothing better than topwater.

rockchalk06

No matter the top water bait used, nothing compares to the explosion of a LM hitting the bait.

Lipripper

Nice Bass and love a top water bite, ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

Nice fish and bass thumb to boot :toot: that's a great day !!!

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catch ~c~  Tks for sharing the picture with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Tavery5 on August 30, 2016, 09:49:14 PM
Congrats, many a fish have fallen victim to the Zara Spook.   

A bit of trivia about the "SPOOK"  see if you can figure out how it got it's name.

I know the answer. Do I win a prize if I tell?  lo

Tavery5

I guess the prize will have to be the satisfaction of the knowledge you share...  I am interested in what you were able to find, I have heard a  version of the way it got it's name.

flowerjohn

Isn't it the name they gave to the original plastic bait line that they introduced after they made them out of wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

I originally learned about it from a book I had called "Fishing Lure Collectibles". An online source had basically the same information so I'll copy and paste that to save some typing:

DOWAGIAC, Mich. — Almost every serious angler knows about the Heddon Zara Spook, one of the top-10 artificial lures of all time and still a standby after 80 years. But did you ever wonder how it got its name?

The original wood version, the Zaragossa, was made in the 1920s for fishing in Florida. After watching a prototype lure zigzag across the water in a test tank, a Heddon worker remarked that it wiggled its butt just like the hookers on Zaragoza Street in Panama City.

The misspelled name stuck, and when the plastic version came out a few years later, workers dubbed it the Spook because they thought it looked ghostly when light shone through its translucent body.

You can see an original Zara Spook and the 1902 Dowagiac Minnow, which started the modern lure industry, at the National Heddon Museum in this southwest Michigan town.

The full online article is here: http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060917/NEWS/609170341/1017/FEATURES08

West6550

Awesome info Smallie you are ridiculous lol

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks bud. That's much nicer than what my wife says I am  :o

Tavery5

Great share Smallie, that is the article that I read about the history of the Zara Spook.