Skeeter with a clipped wing

Started by SkeeterEater, March 28, 2016, 10:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkeeterEater

I just bought a skeeter and the motor is cutting while idling, won't get any speed, just runs like a one legged duck. Any tips on where I should get started looking? Batteries are OK. Going to pop the cover tomorrow and poke around like a dummy.

Just looking for some ideas on common problems that make the old 97 Yamahas (175) cut out real bad.

Mike Cork

Could be a simple as bad gas.

Pump the fuel bulb and make sure it holds, indicating no leaks. Then I'd start by making sure I had good spark at each of the plugs. Check the fuel filter and fuel lines really good. The Yamaha runs on very high fuel pressure and if anything is bogging it down you'll get a missing motor.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SkeeterEater

Got that handled - bad kill switch  ~b~

Now the water pee hole isn't "peeing". He should have pee any time the motor's running, right? I've got the earmuffs on the lower vent holes by the prop and nothing coming out the pee hole.

SkeeterEater

Draining lower unit today and dropping it. Fingering the water pump to make sure it turns. I'll report back for anyone else that has this problem.

Lee Smith

replace the pump, no matter what.  Very cheap insurance!!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Mike Cork

Agreed on replacing pump while your there. Some motors don't pee well until given a little gas but on muffs the hose pressure should be making its way to the pee hole. Could be a stuck thermostat as well.

Cork's Reel Service

Nutt

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 12, 2016, 08:25:45 AM
Agreed on replacing pump while your there. Some motors don't pee well until given a little gas but on muffs the hose pressure should be making its way to the pee hole. Could be a stuck thermostat as well.
My Dads Merc XR-6 wouldn't pee until the motor got up to temperature, then it was fine. 
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

SkeeterEater

You guys know where the thermostat is on these Yamahas?

Mike Cork

I'm a Merc guy, I would start with YouTube and search Yamaha thermostat replacement and I bet there are several how to videos

Cork's Reel Service

SkeeterEater

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 12, 2016, 10:48:02 AM
I'm a Merc guy, I would start with YouTube and search Yamaha thermostat replacement and I bet there are several how to videos

I forget Youtube is there. Wasn't around in my day haha.

I'll have a look-see. Thanks Mike

SkeeterEater

Tstat has no water (They're located up by the top spark plugs, for others interested - and there's two of them.).

Pulled the lower unit and checked out the pump. Wouldn't turn. Wonder why....

There were three rings stuck in the impeller and the impeller *seems* to be too tight to turn properly in the housing. Not sure where the rings came from but I'll be putting in a new housing this week.

Mike Cork

Impellers are very tight. That one looks a smudge too big but may not be. Definitely shouldn't have rings floating around in it. I wonder if they are some sort of spacer that wasn't installed correctly?

Cork's Reel Service

SkeeterEater

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 12, 2016, 05:07:16 PM
Impellers are very tight. That one looks a smudge too big but may not be. Definitely shouldn't have rings floating around in it. I wonder if they are some sort of spacer that wasn't installed correctly?

You mean you don't just drop 'em off in the wheel and off ya go?  lo

I got 'em all pulled out. Waiting on the new rebuild kit to come in now. Thanks for all the help guys.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: SkeeterEater on April 12, 2016, 05:13:05 PM
You mean you don't just drop 'em off in the wheel and off ya go?  lo

I got 'em all pulled out. Waiting on the new rebuild kit to come in now. Thanks for all the help guys.
Are you sure they're not thrust washers, one on top and one on the bottom?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.