BASS Opens Co Angler

Started by Bud Kennedy, October 01, 2016, 08:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

I believe that the Open Series is one of the toughest events to win.  While they are all tough the opens have such a diverse competition the local guy does really have a chance to show off their skills.

One thing I wish B.A.S.S. would do would be to identify what pro the co was fishing with on each day.  Just kinda curious if there is any information that reveals that some pro fisherman are more successful with putting their co angler in a position to catch fish than others.  Maybe some pro fisherman are not as good a partner as they should be.

Mike Cork

I've never fished as a co-angler, however I know many. The draw is a huge part of the gamble a co-angler takes when fishing a tournament like this.

A co expects not to have any choice in water, however pros (boaters) at all levels of these type of tournaments have reputations both good and bad. Some are excellent about making sure the Co angler has fishable water, others are known for putting the co angler at a serious disadvantage and basically rude to fish with all day.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

Mike I think that is exactly my point.  It would be great to see the information that would allow us, the general bass fishing public get a look at who is a good partner and who might be a not so good partner.  The Co Angler is in a tournament too.  It would be less than ethical for a pro not to allow the co to have fishable water.  But........I have seen and heard it happen.  Sure would make for a miserable day if you were front ended by the boater all day.

Oldfart9999

I have a friend that knows the best and the worst. Hee fished a tournament with Shaw Grigsby and won a Nitro 482, he fished one with Woo Daves Jr. and was back boated dock fishing when there weren't any fish on docks.All depends on the draw.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Scott McGehee

In my opinion, there's more to it than who they draw.  While it's true that who the co draws is critical since you have to draw someone who's around fish to be able to catch them, it's also important how the co approaches the fishing.  The co's who try to do what exactly what the pro is doing, generally don't do well.  The co who modifies his approach to what the conditions are and how his pro is fishing will do better.  It can be something as simple as a different bait or even a totally different technique, but a different approach allows the co to target fish that the pro is not, giving them a better chance at success.  I've also noticed that the co's who try to compete with the pro, hurt both anglers chances.  The guys who work together have a lot more success and a much more pleasant day.

Keep in mind, I'm speaking as a guy who only fishes the pro side. 

Bud Kennedy

Now that is something to think about.  Never considered that one should be doing something different than the pro but it makes total sense.  Guess that would hold true when fishing back seat in a buddy's boat.  Got to remember that the next time with Terry G.  I can't let me have all the fun catching fish.   ~gf

Wizard

Scott is right on with today's BASS Opens. Years ago, the concept was the same but many of the pros fished like a human seine net in shallow water.  Any of the pros could "front end" you by pitching a bait and saturating any target before you had a chance. The money wasn't near as good as today and the pros needed every dollar they could to survive. It was easy back then to identify who was a good pro to partner with and who wasn't. Lots of co-angler's zeroed for the day because of a pro's style and needs. Several pros got a bad reputation but in reality were nice people. They just needed the money to survive.
Bud, a co-angler has to fish either a different bait or a different style from the pro. The pro is nearly always better than the co-angler but there are still fish that he missed or needed a second bait passed in front of it.
I fished a BASS at Truman Lake in Missouri in the early 1980's. Everyone was fishing tree lines and a well respected friend was fishing a tree near me. He fished the tree for maybe 10 minutes because it looked so good. His co-angler didn't have a target and watched him fish the tree. As the pro got on his troller to go to the next tree, the co-angler made one cast to the tree and immediately caught a 10  lb. bass. Unbelievable! The pro took a real ribbing at supper that night.

Canesfan

I fished as a "co" many years ago and it was one of the neatest things I have ever done. An unexpected cold front blew through Kissimmee and turned the fish off but I learned so much from observing and listening.  I came to appreciate the sacrifices these guys make. None of the 3 pros I fished with (Mark Menendez, Mike McClellan, and the 3 Rd one, who had ZERO personality and can't even remember his name), treated me like a nobody and  didn't appear to knowingly "back seat" me. It was an amazing experience and I highly recommend it if you ever have the opportunity.  I lost a real nice one at the boat and Mike McClellan told my 2 sons about it a few weeks later when he was appearing at our local BPS.  I was very impressed that he remembered that.