Which Dobyns Rods to use shore fishing

Started by Mike Cork, October 12, 2016, 10:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Well since my back surgery boat fishing is out, shore fishing hasn't happened either but it got me to thinking... If I were to run down to the local lake and make a few casts from shore, what rods would I take...

So I put this article together

http://ultimatebass.com/fishing/articles/bass-fishing-articles-bass-fishing-articles/which-dobyns-rod-to-use-bank-bass-fishing/

This is what I would take, and a break down of why.

Let me know if I'm on track or what I'm missing? Make sure to explain your thought process. This is great info for future readers.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

dockboy

I think your on track for about 90℅ of places. The 733 and 734 are both workhorses, and I love my 745, though I never take it if I'm out shore fishing. But having fished a ton from shore up through college, here's some things I've come to:

- If you are fishing anywhere with clear water, a spin outfit is a good investment. I think with a 703S in your quiver, you could easily fish any type of finesse presentation you may need. As a Western angler, a spin rod is mandatory...but if you are fishing mostly shallow, stained water it would not be a priority.

- You are limited in your ability to fish heavy cover from shore more often then not. The 735 is a great stick, but in most cases your 734/744 could do 99% of what you want from the 745.

-If given two rods, it would be 734C and 703S. If you have the option of 3, I would either stick with the 733C...or I would go the opposite way with a 805CB. In reservoirs, throwing a crank bait is a great way to search water on foot. The 805CB can make long casts, and handle any type of reaction bait except the lightest finesse cranks. If I'm limited in what is in front of me (shallow, stained water) I would probably go with the 733C as you mentioned. It can throw a square bill, top water, or any other basic medium weight bait you desire. You can make a point that the 734 would handle just about any single hook bait made, so if you are fishing primarily in clear, relatively steep reservoirs it makes sense to have a dedicated stick to throwing search baits

Mike Cork

Great stuff dockboy  ~c~ I rarely use spinning gear anymore but do recognize what your saying here, very valid points. I spent many years on the left coast and had as many spinning rods as bait casters.

This is why I love member input  ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Another great read Mike.

Since I bank fish more than I boat fish, I fall under the 1 rod category. I fish urban canals and imho, and experience, taking more than one rod in some of the areas I fish is risky. Also over the years I have adapted and I bank fish carrying the lightest gear and equipment possible. But that's a whole other article. As far as what rod I would choose, I would go with a 704C. Here's why, when I'm bank fishing, the terrain I walk on is always changing. From flat, angled, rocky, woody, etc. Fishing with a longer  rod increases the odds of hitting something, including knicking the ground while casting, especially on low trajectory casts. 7 ft rods I find are the better choice for these type of situations. As far as techniques. The 704 can handle several techniques comfortably. For ex, but not limited to, t-rigs, light to medium jigs, spinnerbaits, and various top water applications including my favorite, frogging. :) This style of rod has a forgiving tip to allow for comfortable lengthy casting, and a strong backbone to handle fish in light to medium cover range. Versatility and creativity will go a long way when you choose to fish with only one rod.  :)

Mike Cork

Thanks Bassinlou, another great perspective ~c~

Protecting a rod while walking the banks is a huge concern. Especially if you only have one. Break it and the trip is done. Taking terrain into consideration is a must.

You're absolutely correct about the 704, it's the little brother to the super rod 734 :-*

Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

I think geographic location has some influence here. Folks down south who fish places like the Red will have a different set of needs than guys like me in the northeast who fish mostly gin clear natural lakes.

Personally I do about 95% of my fishing in small ponds now, and they have varying degrees of water clarity and cover even within the same pond.

I sometimes take different rods depending on which pond I am planning to fish and sometimes I can only carry one rod. If that is the case I would want something in a 4 power, probably a spinning rod like the 704SF.

If I can carry two rods then I think one casting and one spinning rod would give me the most options for the places I fish. In that case I would go a 704C and either a 703SF or even a 702SF.

7 feet is a comfortable compromise in length for most of what I do. The cover I fish from shore is  not usually heavy enough to need more than a 4 power at most. With the spinning rod I can handle lighter line techniques and smaller lures that have proven themselves on these ponds, and these powers will allow me to throw the smaller lures a long way.

On the idea of carrying extra reels, I used to do that. To keep things lighter now I carry extra spools for each reel. It's a lot easier with spinning reels since I use the same brand/size reel on most of my spinning rods but I do have extra spools for some of my baitcasters too.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

More great inputs  ~c~ Love the spool idea   :-*

Cork's Reel Service