If I could only have two Dobyns Rods

Started by Mike Cork, October 03, 2016, 04:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

If I had to limit myself to just two Dobyns Rods, which two should I have to give me the most presentations possible?

I'm thinking a Champion XP 734 and 735. But ultimately letting my budget decide which series because the actions are great across the Dobyns Line up.

What are your choices and why?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 03, 2016, 04:39:06 PM
If I had to limit myself to just two Dobyns Rods, which two should I have to give me the most presentations possible?

I'm thinking a Champion XP 734 and 735. But ultimately letting my budget decide which series because the actions are great across the Dobyns Line up.

What are your choices and why?

Champion 734 and 736. 734 because of its high versatility in light and medium applications.
The 736, because of its brute strength in the power applications, ie, Frogging and punching.

rockchalk06

683 DX (older) and the DX745 (older)

Not much you can't do with either. 683 Topwater, Jerkbaits, light rigs. 735 jigs of all sizes, frogs C rig etc.

Elwood

Champion 705....it would take care of all my spinnerbait needs and light/tight pitching needs...ie....senkos, shakeyhead, flukes....  It is also a great frog rod when paired with braid and you are deep in the jungle and casting needs to be accurate.  I don't throw many of them but could cover the crankbaits that I do throw also.

DX 746.....this rod has the back bone to pull out a stuck Chevy 4x4 and the sensitivity to feel a fish sniff a bait. Frogging, Pitching to Punching is covered!

I think I could throw with confidence every bait I have in the boat with these two rods.
Elwood
Bass Cat Boats Moderator / Dobyns Rods Pro Staff
2020 Bass Cat Eyra 2020 Mercury 300R 4S

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 04, 2016, 08:29:07 AM
Budget cuts, eh?  lo

ROFLMAO.... times are getting lean  :shocking:

I wrote an article about what rods I would carry when shore fishing. In my current situation I can only fish an hour or two at a time and loading up the boat cuts into that. So taking space into consideration and walking the banks, 2 rods would be a maximum.

The post here are excellent and not what I would have picked, but everyone's thoughts are on target. Great information for me to add to the article.

Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 04, 2016, 08:36:02 AM
ROFLMAO.... times are getting lean  :shocking:

I wrote an article about what rods I would carry when shore fishing. In my current situation I can only fish an hour or two at a time and loading up the boat cuts into that. So taking space into consideration and walking the banks, 2 rods would be a maximum.

The post here are excellent and not what I would have picked, but everyone's thoughts are on target. Great information for me to add to the article.

OK, I get it. So the bucket and cane pole are out of the question?  lo

Me personally would use a shorter rod for bank fishing since you could be in some tight areas. (I know it can be down here). 704 & 705 for me. The 705 has a good backbone and tip for frogging and heavier weights. The 704's can cast just about anything from 1/4oz to 1oz.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

TNDiver

Being almost a sole shore fisherman, and some of the places I go to find fish, I would get cheaper rods  ~roflmao

I have had some stumbling moments where I almost slammed my rods into the ground or gotten them tangled in tree branches or slammed the tips into whatever is my way (cement walls, trees, the ground, etc).  I tend to limit myself to 2-3 rods and I love the Duckett Micro Magic rods.  Not too expensive if you get them on sale and do a good job.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

SFL BassHunter

My Savvy 734 does my bank fishing work. It is the most versatile rod I own. Because I don't punch any heavy stuff from the bank I can get away with the 734 doing everything from cranks, to worms, to topwaters, to frogs.
I have 2 spools for my reel. One with 40 braid, and one with mono. That covers every application I need it for.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Mike Cork

Tndiver, this was part of my concern as well. So in the article I covered actions versus the series. Dobyns rods Savvy Series is $109, I do use the Champion Series for most everything but would consider the Sierra series for my shore angling. I just got two Sierra Series rods and they are so close to the Champion series that if you blind folded me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference when holding like models.

Cork's Reel Service

CraigP83

734 and 735 for me also.

The 734 is hands down the most versatile rod I own. I originally bought it to use for buzzbaits and quickly found it was the best swimjig rod I had ever used, It's works for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits in a pinch and I was even using it last weekend dragging football head jigs in 20' of water for smallmouth bass.

The 735 I was going to use strictly for frogs and it is AMAZING for that, but I found it's also incredible at punching through weeds with 3/4-1oz tungsten weights, and I find myself using it more for that than what I originally got it for!

Bigwrench

Just two ?? Lol
I am extremely fond of my Champ 734c and at the moment my DX745 is in need of tip repairs and hasn't been used in 18 months or more !! So as a second I'd have to choose the Champ 735c. But if my DX745 was available that would be my second rod along with the 734.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

caddyjoe77

784ML -- Now that is a versatile rod not just for jigs IMO. Soft enough tip to do other things. 

734 -- For obvious reasons that have already been mentioned....
BeerMe

Gary Dobyns

I would lose my mind if I had to use only two rods with tournaments :( My two would be the Champ 734C and Champ 736C. I can do so many techniques with these two rods.....not all but a heck of a lot. They are not only two power differences but total different action as well. The 736C is MUCH faster than it's versatile little brother, the 734C.

Mike Cork

Gary the 736C is a Man's Man Rod for sure. Lots of back bone. Obviously it works very well for heavy vegetation, what other applications have you found it successful for?

I imagine it would be a great rod for dragging football jigs in deep water, with the power and how fast it is, the rod will take up line fast and ensure a solid hookset?

Cork's Reel Service