Best length of rod for Jerkbaits

Started by Mike Cork, October 10, 2016, 11:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Jerkbait season is here for some, or just around the corner for the rest. Some fish them year round.

What length rod do you find best for fishing jerkbaits?

I like longer rods over all. I just feel that I have better hooksets and better control of fish. When it comes to a jerbait rod I really like the 705CB Glass.

By nature of the presentation with the rod pointed at the water, one has to wonder if a shorter rod would be easier and more effective?

First I really like Dobyns CB glass rods for treble hooks, that leaves models that are 6 foot 3 inches and 6 foot 8 inches. So in ya'lls opinion 7 foot.... 6-8.... 6-3 ?

I'm going to call Gary out on this one too guys but I also want your opinions  ;)

Gary I know your a big jerkbait guy (or at least you used to be back in the 90's when I was buying your boats for you), what's your thoughts on jerkbait rod length?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

31airborne

I like a 7' M/F baitcaster for the larger profile jerkbaits (100s, 110s).  I use a 6-6 ML/F spinny pole for the smaller profile baits (85s and smaller).

Dunno about the rest of the doods but I keep a jerkbait tied on year round.  There are times in the dead of summer when a suspended fish won't hit anything else.  I've also had success calling them up from deeper water w/ a jerkbait, much like some do w/ a topwater lure.

civicrr

Although I'm not a tall guy, I like to use the 7' sticks.  I've experimented with shorter sticks that Dobyns offers (6'8", 6'3") as well as some other brands (6', 6'6").  I personally don't subscribe to the idea

I like the 705CB for 100 size baits most of the time.  I think it really depends on where I'm fishing.  Definitely like it for the Delta.  Never know when you'll tie into a big fish or a striper.

Other water, I'll use the 704CB - for the 100 size or smaller baits.  Several years ago, had a good talk with Richard Dobyns at the Sacramento ISE.  We discussed the problem of possibly overworking the bait with too powerful a rod.  I was feeling that at times I was 'dragging' the bait through the water instead of 'working' them.  He confirmed that idea & said the 704CB was his preferred rod.

Smallie_Stalker

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually prefer shorter rods for jerkbaits. 6' 3" or 6' 4" are the most comfortable for me. I have used 6'6", 6' 8" and 7 footers at different times but I still like the shorter rods best. I don't think I could ever go longer than 7' for this technique.

Now that I am stuck fishing from the bank it's become a necessity to use a shorter rod or I end up slapping dirt or the surface of the water on the downward jerk.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

Quote from: civicrr on October 10, 2016, 03:08:10 PM
Other water, I'll use the 704CB - for the 100 size or smaller baits.  Several years ago, had a good talk with Richard Dobyns at the Sacramento ISE.  We discussed the problem of possibly overworking the bait with too powerful a rod.  I was feeling that at times I was 'dragging' the bait through the water instead of 'working' them.  He confirmed that idea & said the 704CB was his preferred rod.

I've wondered this a lot myself. I may have to look into a 4 power for my next one.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

j102

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 10, 2016, 03:37:18 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but I actually prefer shorter rods for jerkbaits. 6' 3" or 6' 4" are the most comfortable for me. I have used 6'6", 6' 8" and 7 footers at different times but I still like the shorter rods best. I don't think I could ever go longer than 7' for this technique.

Now that I am stuck fishing from the bank it's become a necessity to use a shorter rod or I end up slapping dirt or the surface of the water on the downward jerk.

I generally prefer the shorter rods too, and more so for jerkbaits.

Tavery5

I like to use the longest rod that allows me to work the bait tip down without smacking the side of the boat or water with the rod tip.  For myself it ends up being about a 6'8" to 6'10" rod.   Try walking a few topwater baits tip down and it will give you a good indication of what you prefer for a length.   I also try to find a rod with a shorter butt end, it keeps it out of your clothing when the temps are cooler and you need an extra layer or two.     

I use several rods to throw jerkbaits on but the baitcasting rods I currently use are the Falcon Cara Eakins Finesse Jig rod and the Falcon Cara Headturner.   They work well for me.   I use a really old Gloomis 723 SJR spinning rod once in a while as well.

predator

I've been using the 684cb for the past 2 TX seasons, so far it's been one heck of a rod. Perfect tip for 90 and 100 sizes plenty of back bone to get the big girls in.
Also works really good for rio ricos and smaller poppers.

Paired up with a Lew's tourney mb it's super light.

podcast

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 10, 2016, 03:37:18 PM

Can't agree more. I had a 6'4" rod and needed to warranty it this year. The replacement was a 6'9" and I'm not happy. Its harder to work the rod since my boat is very close to the water and the rod is heavier simply because it's longer. Also as mentioned it tends at times to pull the lure through the water instead of working the bait.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

dockboy

I think it depends on how you like to fish a jerk bait. We call them a rip bait here, because that's how most guys fish them, with a more sideways ripping motion. Cast at 45 or higher angle from the bow, and rip the rod back towards the stern.
Other parts of the country, guys spend more time making straight downward rod pops and twitches. Personally, I tend to fish them as Gary once told me years ago...5 seconds is a long time to wait! Plus, in places like Havasu and Mead where the water doesn't get very cold, those fish will usually react better to speed than a more methodical twitching technique.

I'm 5'10' , so I feel most comfortable with a 7'. I too prefer the 704CB or 705CB. The 704 can throw everything up to a Pointer 100. I also upgrade to the 705 on the Delta and Clear Lake, because I tend to throw 12-15lb and bigger baits there.

The 704 is probably the best rod I've used for a rip bait. It's soft enough to let the bait recoil and when you get hit mid rip, the rods absorbs the shock and keep them pinned. The biggest thing I've found is hooks....for whatever reason fish (especially smallies) can throw the jerk bait pretty easy. Going to the Nano Treble by Gamakatsu has really helped with that.

Gary Dobyns

All good info here. I'll re-state some points. It depends on how you work the bait. I can use a very long rod because I work the bait out sideways and not straight down. So length depends on "how" you work the bait and there's really no right or wrong way. It's what fits you. I don't like super long pauses as Dockboy stated, 5 seconds is a LONG time to let a bait sit. Some guys want it to sit for 30 seconds which would drive me crazy. It comes down to time and I can make a lot more casts with 5 seconds pause vs 30 second pause. 5 seconds for me is a long time. I've been jerk bait junkie for 35 plus years. Dobyns makes 6'3", 6'8", and 7' in several power ratings. My favorite is 704 CB for baits like the size of Vision 110.

coldfront

Quote from: j102 on October 10, 2016, 06:06:30 PM
I generally prefer the shorter rods too, and more so for jerkbaits.

as long as we agree that 'short' in today's world is 6'8" to 7'2"   ;D

rockchalk06

6'6" is about max for me. I'm only 5'9" with combat boots on lo and anything longer wont allow me to work the bait.

Dink Dawg

I don't fish jerkbaits as much as I should but do have two models, the 684cb and 704cb.  I will generally fish the 704 when cross dressing and wearing my high heels. Seriously, it's a push. The 684 also makes an awesome Rico rod.

coldfront

Quote from: Dink Dawg on October 14, 2016, 01:29:28 PM
I don't fish jerkbaits as much as I should but do have two models, the 684cb and 704cb.  I will generally fish the 704 when cross dressing and wearing my high heels. Seriously, it's a push. The 684 also makes an awesome Rico rod.

thought that was you...   lo

(I'm sorry... long day... GREAT post!)

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on October 13, 2016, 11:52:01 PM
I don't like super long pauses as Dockboy stated, 5 seconds is a LONG time to let a bait sit. Some guys want it to sit for 30 seconds which would drive me crazy. It comes down to time and I can make a lot more casts with 5 seconds pause vs 30 second pause. 5 seconds for me is a long time.

Gary, I'm just curious about something here. Does this apply for you all across the country? I know the water temps out in Cali don't get as low as they do here, so if you were fishing a jerkbait in water that was say, 36 degrees would you still use that short of a pause? Or would you maybe just not jerk it as erratically but still keep the short pause?

I completely agree with you about time and more casts, which is probably why a crankbait is my bread and butter lure. But when the water gets really cold up this way a jerkbait fished with a long pause will get me more bites.

j102

Quote from: coldfront on October 14, 2016, 07:45:43 AM
as long as we agree that 'short' in today's world is 6'8" to 7'2"   ;D

More like 6'3", 6'6".

Gary Dobyns

Smallie Stalker all true. I've been lucky enough to fish from Great Lakes to the deep South and back across the U.S. I will say there are times that a longer pause would be better, but for me I can't stand to fish slow. I believe more casts and covering more water catching the aggressive fish is better than letting a bait sit for 20-30 seconds. I believe most times I'll do far better with the "more casts attitude" than the next guy fishing slow. Rather than fish slow I'll change baits and try fishing deeper most times, sometimes shallower but most times if I'm not catching them I want to fish a little deeper. I believe they can see the bait but are unwilling to chase it far, so I go deeper so it's more in their face.

Smallie_Stalker