Took an old guy fishing

Started by Wizard, August 13, 2017, 04:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

I took an old guy from the condo complex fishing with me today. He asked if I was going out at dawn. I told him to be at the dock at noon. After several days of fishing, I have a pattern going in the afternoon. I know where the bass will be under large docks, what direction they are facing, and that they want a reaction lure that drops vertically. Some other patterns going as well but I wanted the guy to catch bass.
So, after a short run, I shut down about 40 yrds. from the dock and troll in on a steady low speed. As we get about 40 ft. from the dock, I turn off the troller and drift within target range. The guy has spinning gear with a 3 inch tube attached. I turn to him, tell him throw onto the dock and gently pull his tube into the water. I said the bass will hit quick and run under the dock. The guy looked at me and then pitched his lure. The bass took it seconds after it entered the water. Well, the guy caught a 3 lb. bass and then caught a bass at almost every spot we fished. He asked how I knew what would happen. I said it is an easy pattern based upon sun angle, available forage and experience. Really, a basic pattern you learn early in fishing. The older gent was 87 years old and I am 69. When we got back, he thanked me for a great afternoon and said I must be really good. I shook his hand thinking, well, I've got another one fooled.
If you are a new angler, remember this story. It contains good ideas on what you need to understand and look for to help you catch bass. Find forage, find structure or cover, find the best lure choice and ask yourself how the sun angle is going to create shadows for bass to use. Everything you need to create a "pattern".

Princeton_Man

Very cool Wiz! ~c~

I have a friend down the road I met shortly after we moved here to Princeton 7 years ago. He's in his 70's,  loves to fish, but has been unable to pretty much the whole time I've known him do to a couple of physical conditions. With help from our good Lord and some great doctors, it looks like he'll be able to get out on the water soon. I'm looking forward to taking him and hope I can put him on some fish that easily.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

Great story with a great lesson  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

merc1997

it is called our best fishing tool is our brain.  it is not rocket science. 

glad you were able to make that guys day.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Pacific NW Ron

Great story.  He will remember that day the rest of his life.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Lipripper

Way to go Wizard and to him you will always be a fishing pro. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

coldfront

~c~

one of my favorite memories is fishing a club tournament with one of our members.  guy was over 80...

it was a club situation.  as a boater, I tried really hard to put my non-boater in position to catch fish.

Got a great photo of this gentleman with a solid 4 pounder he caught on a fluke...

I think I'm as proud of that day as he was of his fish.  And the photo I took/shared.

Thornback

Good story, a chance to show off your experience to others, and make them happy. I had a friend call me several years ago to ask if I would take him and his cousin bass fishing. His cousin was visiting from the north and had only done salt water fishing. I took us three to a spot I thought would produce, anchored my boat, explained to the cousin how to fish with shiners for bass and he was a quick learner. I put the cousin on the front pedestal seat and my friend on the rear pedestal seat. I fished from the driver's seat. my desire was that the two of them would catch and have a memorable day. Soon both had put several nice bass in the boat and I had not had a bite. I was thinking it was a good trip and I was happy for them. Then something took my shiner and I hauled in a 10 pound 15 ounce bass. My PB. I took a photo of the cousin holding my bass and later emailed to him so he could show his friends up north.

Oldfart9999

Great story Wizard and congrats to the gentleman on catching! ~c~ ~c~  When I fish docks I'm chasing shadow first then cross braces and larger platforms and ladders on the dock, learned those lessons early.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.