Could Dobyns Rods come out with a spiral wrap series??

Started by Princeton_Man, November 15, 2016, 12:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

Spiral wrap rods seem to be getting more popular among many. I really like the additional control and limited torque of the reel when bringing a fish to the boat.

So far spiral wrapped guides seem to be limited to custom built rods. At least I haven't seen any off the shelf spiral wraps. Is there any chance Dobyns might introduce a spiral wrap series in the future?
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Gary Dobyns

Thanks for the question. There's advantages to spiral wrapped rods. The main one I like is less guides with the line being on the bottom of the rod like a spinning model. Less weight and less cost with guide reduction and labor. Unfortunately they are a very tough sell to anglers. Back in the day with another rod company we make Spiral wrap production rods. They simply did not sell. We ended up with tons of them and couldn't hardly give them away. Another build that is AWESOME but does not sell either is a Tennessee Handle on spinning rods. It's my personal all-time favorite, but it doesn't sell either. As a company, Dobyns Rods tries to fill all niches for bass market. We build a lot of variations that other companies won't, but with Spiral Wraps and Tennessee handles, I've learned my hard lesson with lack of sales. Sorry!!!!

I will recommend an awesome custom builder. Williams Custom Rods by Lynn Williams. He does great work and is a super nice guy. I've spent many days in his shop, garage, and in a boat with him. He now lives in Kentucky. You won't find a better guy than Lynn.

Smallie_Stalker

I'm with you on the Tennessee handles Gary. Sad to see them fall by the wayside.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

Thanks for the information and explanation Gary! I love my spiral wrap Lee Smith customs and I love my Dobyns rods! The thought has crossed my mind just about anytime I'm in a shop with a large selection so I thought I'd ask.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

You know Jim, you could always buy a Dobyns and have Lee spiral wrap the guides for you. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my STUDIO X PLUS using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Terry G

I have 2 old Lews Spinning rods with Tennessee handles I didn't think anyone remembered them.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on November 15, 2016, 08:44:02 PM
You know Jim, you could always buy a Dobyns and have Lee spiral wrap the guides for you. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my STUDIO X PLUS using Tapatalk

That's a good idea!  ~c~

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 16, 2016, 05:07:43 AM
That's a good idea!  ~c~

that is what Lee did when my dad and I were punching grass.  Dad didnt see the braid around the eyelet and of they popped.

As always, build quality and finish were second to none. 
BeerMe

bass1cpr

I have two Roberts wrap (spiral wrap) rods. I have had them since the late 90's. I first heard about them from an Illinois rod company that built them forgot the name of the man but it was also the name of his company. He sold the company and the name to his partner who ran it in the ground. The original owner tried to buy it back to get the name back but it was not worth what  the price was to buy it back so it went by the way. I did find another company that built them out of Arkansas Lowe's super one touch. I still have and use them I love them for cranking and that is what I wanted them for. Only problem I've ever had was I broke a ceramic out of one of the guides had that one replaced and it's still catching fish to this day. Maybe if you search for Lowe's super one touch you could possibly find a few out there somewhere. When I was working at the bait shop we got some for clearance and sold them for $25.00 wish I would have bought a few to keep for backups.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation