Claytor Lake Fishing Report 11/18/16

Started by Princeton_Man, November 20, 2016, 06:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

Tried to beat the approaching front and didn't. Launched from CL State Park at 06:00. Water was only lightly stained with visibility of better than five feet. Surface temp was 57 and warmed to 60 around 2:00. Not certain what the morning air temperature was but guessing low 40s.

First run was up past Ferry Point, then Peeks Creek, the state park area, then up by the dam. While we found several schools of bait twenty plus feet down, there where no other signs of life in the water. Not even a Bluegill bite. Folks fishing for crappie in the boat slips were having some luck!

After dropping my backseater off at 2:00, I went back out to do some exploring.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

At least you were out fishing  ~c~ Don't sound like the fish were hitting if nobody was catching anything not even a Blue gill.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

I'm surprised your bait is that deep with those water temperatures. Your lack of rain over the last few months have probably really hurt the fertility of the backs of the creeks so the shad have nothing to chase as far as plankton bloom...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Lack of rain has hurt a lot. I just missed the action. My original desire was to fish Tuesday but, as usual work got in the way.

I don't believe I saw even one crawfish this year on Claytor. Used to see lots of crawfish and minnows in the creeks and shallows. I usually pay attention to the small creatures. Sometimes helps to clue me in on baits and colors.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 20, 2016, 10:04:40 AM
Lack of rain has hurt a lot. I just missed the action. My original desire was to fish Tuesday but, as usual work got in the way.

I don't believe I saw even one crawfish this year on Claytor. Used to see lots of crawfish and minnows in the creeks and shallows. I usually pay attention to the small creatures. Sometimes helps to clue me in on baits and colors.

Seeing the food sources and matching the hatch is huge. I've dialed in my jig fishing tremendously by knowing what color and size the crawfish are ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service