1988 18"4 Champ

Started by crappie man, November 23, 2016, 06:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crappie man

1988 Champion 18"4 150 rude only 6 hrs been in basement since.Is it worth 12,000??Need some opinions....Thanks

Mike Cork

That's a little high for an 88. After all it's 28 years old. However there is nothing to gauge it against because of the condition. Simply unheard of?

The boat is a solid and at the time was a highly sought after rig. The best in rough water yet still quick enough to keep up with the competition.

If it is truly brand new and tucked away far enough to not have rotted away, I'd say it's worth it. However you'll probably have to have cash.

I'd still whine and kick tires, get the motor checked and try and talk him/her down to about 10k

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

crappie man

It's on craigslist list now the guy lives in Smithville Missouri and there isn't a scratch on it.Never been fish in the live wells.I have 2 Champs now and another boat if I brought it home she would own them all.Lol...I am thinking about it though.

cart7

I saw that boat at the Champion forum at BBC.

Incredible condition but these are the things I'd be worried about.
Fuel lines/oil lines in the engine and dry rotting.
Sealant on the transom and thru hull fittings, same thing, dry rot.
bilge and livewell pumps along with the bilge hosing... dry rot.
Steering cable
The picture showed the boat sitting on the trailer with Firestone Super Sport tires.  Firestone hasn't made those super sport trailer tires in a long, long time.  If those are original, would you really want to tow a boat around on 28 yo tires?

The electronics and TM are way outdated.  The boat is probably $3-4k overpriced.

Bud Kennedy

As the owner of an old boat (1991) there are things to consider.  If indeed the hull is sound you will still have to be prepared to make some tough future decisions.  At some point it won't make a lot of sense to keep plowing money into a boat because the investment value may not be something you can justify.  Most likely you will face a motor replacement in a few years or sooner, pumps will need replaced, trolling motor needs replaced, electronics need up graded, trailer tires etc etc.  If you are gonna use the boat just for some casual fishing then it may work for you but you should not expect it to run with the big dogs so to speak.  I would say that this boat might just be overpriced by at least $5 to $7K.