Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about upgrading my 2013 iMac Hard Drive to an SSD Drive  (Read 5100 times)

rockchalk06

• Ultimate Basser

Question:

My 2013 iMac's Apple Care ran out today. It's also running much slower since upgrading the OS the last few times. I have 8GB of RAM and a 1TB standard HD.

Which upgrade is going to give me the speed I want? Either one, I will have to remove the LCD screen. I'd prefer to only do this once if possible.

Replacing the HD is only a few simple steps but then the transfer and format of the new drive is going to take some research. I do not think my machine is capable of running both the 1TB HD and an SSD flash drive, so it's going to require the format and transfer. SSD 1TB is going to run 365.

The memory on this machine is buried. It's a much deeper tear down. I will be going from 8 to 16. I think 16 is my max I'm allowed on this machine as I only have 2 slots. Memory upgrade is going run 120 with the kit and tools.

Which upgrade is going to give me the best performance? I know both would be a Yuge upgrade and may consider it.

Thanks

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
Re: Questions about upgrading my 2013 iMac Hard Drive to an SSD Drive
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »

Try the Micro Center for your parts. They stock for every maker of computers. If you take in your computer or call them, they will tell you the best choices to do whatever you need. Plus, they ship and have lowest prices I have seen anywhere.
My computer has 2 TB HD. I use it for computer mapping. It will hold the Google world plus other satellite mapping. I make everything from fishing maps for friends to business intelligence maps for corporate use.

cortman

• Lunker
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »

SSD will breathe new life into that machine, far more so than a RAM upgrade. If you're not currently maxing out your ram on a regular basis you shouldn't need to worry about it. Replacing an HDD with an SSD in any computer makes an amazing difference. I've done it on several computers myself.

rockchalk06

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »

SSD will breathe new life into that machine, far more so than a RAM upgrade. If you're not currently maxing out your ram on a regular basis you shouldn't need to worry about it. Replacing an HDD with an SSD in any computer makes an amazing difference. I've done it on several computers myself.

How do I tell if I'm maxing it out?

hughesjasonk

• Lunker
  • THE BAD GUY
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:51:34 PM »

A ssd HD will give you the performance you're looking for. You won't know too much difference going from 8 to 16 of ram

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

hughesjasonk

• Lunker
  • THE BAD GUY
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »

You can go to the system monitor and see how much resources it's using. Keep in mind if you run out of ram it will start using extra HD space this is why you always want to leave 10% open on your hd

cortman

• Lunker
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »

What he said ^^ system monitor. Are you playing any graphics intensive games or editing a lot of video? If not 8 GB is likely sufficient for you.

rockchalk06

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 08:50:48 AM »

What he said ^^ system monitor. Are you playing any graphics intensive games or editing a lot of video? If not 8 GB is likely sufficient for you.

I've never played a game on it. I do edit some video, but generally just use the GoPro software that they give away free. It's good for what I do.

Mainly I use it as an at home work station. I will be running iTunes for music, 4 remote apps, teamviewer, email and text messages.

cortman

• Lunker
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 09:22:54 AM »

I've never played a game on it. I do edit some video, but generally just use the GoPro software that they give away free. It's good for what I do.

Mainly I use it as an at home work station. I will be running iTunes for music, 4 remote apps, teamviewer, email and text messages.

SSD all the way then. I have a 2013 Macbook Pro that I use for everything. SSD and 8 GB RAM. RAM has never been a problem yet and the machine is still blazing fast.

hughesjasonk

• Lunker
  • THE BAD GUY
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »

Mac disables programs when not in use. It tends to only load up ram when programs are currently being used. I think 8gb will be just fine. But if you want to do it because you're there then go for it. You're not going to hurt anything

rockchalk06

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »

Mac disables programs when not in use. It tends to only load up ram when programs are currently being used. I think 8gb will be just fine. But if you want to do it because you're there then go for it. You're not going to hurt anything

I do know the remote apps aren't disabled as they are monitoring apps.

I actually don't want to do the Memory lo The SSD drive is 4 screws and 4 cables then a reinstall. The Memory is all the way to the aluminum shell  :o
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:56:54 AM by rockchalk06 »

rockchalk06

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 09:56:26 AM »

SSD all the way then. I have a 2013 Macbook Pro that I use for everything. SSD and 8 GB RAM. RAM has never been a problem yet and the machine is still blazing fast.

Now that you said that, I have a 2015 Macbook Air 13" that has a 256GB SSD drive and only 4GB of RAM. That sucker smokes. I've yet to bog that sucker down. Only drawback is the University will not allow remote applications and work related material on it without a full Encryption from the University with their software on it. New policy this year says negative on notebooks unless they have the encryption software installed. Desktops are a go though.

That's why they bought me a 15" Dell Latitude.

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
  • Working too much, more fishing time needed!!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »

As I mentioned on the phone, SSD would be the first thing I did, but RAM could be depending on the remote apps you are using.  I suggested the RAM because it sounded like you were doing a lot of remoting and the video refresh rate (the way I understood what you were asking) would be mostly residing in RAM.  When an application is redrawing it is using memory. 

Did you ever check your swap space via the command line using the top command?

Here is a quick walkthrough: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/lackofram.html

If you were doing more local stuff, I would say SSD first.  SSD will help for sure though. 
BeerMe

rockchalk06

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 11:39:32 AM »

As I mentioned on the phone, SSD would be the first thing I did, but RAM could be depending on the remote apps you are using.  I suggested the RAM because it sounded like you were doing a lot of remoting and the video refresh rate (the way I understood what you were asking) would be mostly residing in RAM.  When an application is redrawing it is using memory. 

Did you ever check your swap space via the command line using the top command?

Here is a quick walkthrough: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/lackofram.html

If you were doing more local stuff, I would say SSD first.  SSD will help for sure though. 

You're right. All 4 apps are running non stop when I am remoted in. If connection on my end is lost or interrupted, I get booted off and have to log back in. I generally never lose connection, so that leads me to believe they are running non stop.

Not yet. I forgot that you had asked me to do that lo I'll do that this weekend and see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.