Top 10 Rig Set-Ups

Started by AceBoonKoon21, December 02, 2016, 12:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AceBoonKoon21

For parity sake this is a top 10 post. I know some have more rods and reels and some less. I also know that these can change depending on the body of water, season, time of day, weather etc.

If you were stuck with only taking 10 rig set-ups with you on any given day what would they be? You don't have to get in to the details however you can if you'd like. I'm really just curious as to what are the top 10 favorites out there and thought this might be a good resource for newbies.

1. Senko
2. Square Billed Crankbait
3. Lipless Crankbait
4. Jig
5. Carolina Rig
6. Spinnerbait
7. Texas Rig
8. Shakey Head
9. Swim Bait
10. Jerk Bait

What's your top 10?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cojab

My list would look very similar Ace.
For me though you could scratch the Carolina rig, Shakey head, and swim bait. Not because they wouldn't work,,,I just haven't tried them yet.
I would throw in tubes on my list also though. There is one place I fish, the smallies hammer them.
TTK has spoken.

Capt. BassinLou

Mine won't hit 10... lol!! 6 maybe.

cojab

TTK has spoken.

Capt. BassinLou

Lmao!! Nah, I just fish with 1 color and 1 frog

Lee Smith

1. Jig
2. frog
3. texas rig
4. square bill
5. shaky head
6. mid runner crank
7. punch rig
8. spinner bug
9. swim bait
10. Crazy Blitz Jig

Top 3, Jig, Frog, Crazy Blitz ( those suckers can catch some bass fishes! )
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

ccr425

1) Horny Toad
  2) Buzzbait
  3) Weightless Mag UV Speed Worm
  4) T-rigged 10" worm
  5) Fluke
  6) Swimjig
  7) Flipping rig with 1/2-3/4oz tungsten
  8) Baby torpedo
  9) Senko
10) Hollow body frog

* In no particular order.

zippyduck

1) a jig (no surprise to anyone on this site)
2) poppers
3) frog
4) small swimbaits
5) texas rig
6) carolina rig
7) spinnerbait
8) tube
9) spook
10) toad
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

AceBoonKoon21

Some great set-ups! Keep 'em coming. ~cf

Capt. BassinLou

My setups for the majority of my outings are as follows:

1. Frog
2. Punch
3. Swimbait/UV
4. Swimjig/ jig
5. T-rig
6. Spinnerbait/spook/whopper plopper

I have a several multi purpose rods, I don't have the deck space for 10 outfits.  :'(

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 03, 2016, 08:39:10 AM
My setups for the majority of my outings are as follows:

1. Frog
2. Punch
3. Swimbait/UV
4. Swimjig/ jig
5. T-rig
6. Spinnerbait/spook/whopper plopper

I have a several multi purpose rods, I don't have the deck space for 10 outfits.  :'(

Mines pretty similar to this.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

I would add 2 styles of tube and dropshot.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

merc1997

for summer fishing, i have three rods out.  one with a jig, one with a bare jig head with a soft plastic bait of some type, and a spinjig.  keep it simple.  if i need to change to something other than those three, i use one of those three rods to put the change on. 

i hate unneeded clutter on the deck of the boat for one thing.  it does not take that long to change lures, and most likely you needed to retie anyway.

one of the three choices that i put out will catch bass, but the only change most of the time will be in the weight of any of the three to find the correct fall rate that will trigger bites.

i would guess your choices would depend on how you plan to "skin the cat" so to speak.  many times, when i am not sure were or what the bass might be doing, i do not even get any rods and just go graphing various areas of the lake to see where the majority of the food source is and how deep you are seeing them and how the fish are relating to them.  then i begin to make some choices not only in what lure, but what weight might be needed to get the job done.  the correct depth and speed are critical to getting reaction bites from a bass.  also to factor in is whether the bass seem to be feeding up or down.  that means, that are the looking up for food or down for food.

keep it simple and catch more bass.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Smallie_Stalker

3 cranking rods (shallow, medium and deep), 2 jig rods ( or 1 jig and 1frog), 2 bottom contact rods (1 probably being a Carolina-Rig), 2 spinning ( drop-shot and one general purpose) and a top water rod.

Sent from my STUDIO X PLUS using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

j102

My 5 in no particular order.

1. Crankbait/Jerkbait.
2. T-Rig.
3. Swimbait.
4. Jig.
5. Frog.

cortman

I don't even have that many setups for bass, maybe if you count surf gear and ultralight gear and fly gear.
For me I'll have

1. Jig/worm setup
2. Weightless senko
3. Spinnerbait
4. Either a frog/punching setup or a crankbait setup. I don't usually have those two on the same outing.

Of course I'll also throw topwaters and occasionally a crankbait with the spinnerbait setup, buzzbaits with the jig/worm, and smaller jigs/t-rigs with the weightless senko rig. Versatility is very important to me- I fish mostly from the bank or a small jon boat or kayak. I've actually never even set foot in a bass boat, lol.

Princeton_Man

1. Jig
2. T-rig plastic
3. Senko wacky/texas rigged
4. Jerkbait
5. Squarebill
6. Crankbait
7. Crazy blitz/jig
8. Swimbait
9. Frog
10. Punch rig

Guntersville

1. Frog
2. Punch Rig
3. Swimbait
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Wizard

I only keep 3 or 4 rods on deck because I don't like to fight bass on a cluttered deck. The rods I start with can be used any season and on any water in the country.
1) Jig
2) Jig worm- precursor to the shaky head
3) Large grub- 6-12 inch with 8 inch grub being my normal setup
A Texas rig will sometimes start the day on deck. All other rods (10-14) are pre rigged in the rod boxes. No special order: square billed crank, spinner bait, football head jig, Crazy Crawler, tube, jerk bait, Spence Scout, Little George, backup jig and grub rods and an ultra lite with a 3 inch jig worm for shooting lures into tight places.

Deadeye

Hmm. Well it varies with my mood and how/where I'm fishing. Where I live that can mean a lot. In the River one set of baits, on a lake another and on a different lake another.

To keep it simple I'll say:

1. Weightless U-Vibe
2. T-Rig worm
3. Topwater, most likely a Devil's Horse or Popper
4. Swimjig
5. HB Frog
6. Lipless Crank
7. Flip/Punch Rig
8-10. Any Given Day the rest will vary from: Spinnerbait, Buzz Bait, A-Rig, Lizard, Senko (rarely), Jerkbait, Squarebill Crank, Jig & Trailer, Buzz Toad, Swimbait, to whatever else I decide to throw or try.

Right now it is:

1. Buzzbait
2. T-Rig
3. Spinnerbait
4. Lipless Crank
5. Devil Horse
6. Jerkbait
7. Flip/Punch Rig
8. Swimbait
9. HB Frog
10. Jig & Trailer

CraigP83

I only have 3 that I ALWAYS have tied on

Jig (3/8-3/4)   
Frog
DropShot

To round out the top 10, in the rod locker I have rods ready to be rigged up with:

1/8oz Bullet weight w/ t-rigged Skinny Dipper
Weightless Senko
3/16oz mushroom head - Jig Worm
3/16oz mushroom head - Grub Worm
1/4oz Swim Jig
3/4oz Tungsten w/ Beaver
1/2oz undressed football head w/ Hula Grub

BassSacker

9 months of the year I will have;
1. Jig
2. TX rig
3. Fluke
4. Hollow body frog
5. Toad
6. Buzzbait
7. Yellow magic
8. Square bill
9. Shake head
10. Chatter bait
I will make adjustments as the day goes on but usually always have these to start.
retired! now there is more time to fish!

Mike Bush

1. Jig
2. T Rig
3. Crank
4. Topwater
5. Swimjig/Spinnerbait