Looking at picking up 2 more rods, insight

Started by Dam0007, January 09, 2017, 08:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dam0007

Sup guys,

After using the DX HP 744 for carolina rigs and football jigs last year I had zero issues. But in a pinch I used it for pitching small Texas rigs and like it for that even more. So I'm thinking about maybe getting the HP 784 for C rig/football duty. Thoughts anyone?

The next one is the CS XP 744C, 'Jig Special'. No typo,  not a Extreme HP. For jigs I'm currently using, both DX HP, 703 for 3/16-1/4oz and 704 for 3/8-1/2oz. Not really crazy about pitching anything heavier on either of those. But there's times when I want to go from 3/8 up to 3/4 on the fly so a 3rd jig rod? Lol also idk how sensitive this is gonna be compared to the HP. I have a CS XP 734(def not my choice for bottom contact) but from what I'm reading the 744 is a totally different animal... Thoughts?

MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

IG: @dam0007bass

Mike Cork

I haven't used the Champion 744 yet but from what all the staff guys are saying, it's the bomb for jigs. Since you are used to the extreme sensitivity of the Extreme Series I hate to comment on the sensitivity of this rod in comparison to the 744. The Extreme Series 744, 745, 746 are my mainstays for bottom contact baits.

I use a 745 for heavy jigs and c-rigs, however I can see where the longer 784 might be very advantageous for deep water jigs and casting a c-rig.

Let me see if I can get Gary to touch on this one for us.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Dam0007

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 09, 2017, 09:30:00 AM
I haven't used the Champion 744 yet but from what all the staff guys are saying, it's the bomb for jigs. Since you are used to the extreme sensitivity of the Extreme Series I hate to comment on the sensitivity of this rod in comparison to the 744. The Extreme Series 744, 745, 746 are my mainstays for bottom contact baits.

I use a 745 for heavy jigs and c-rigs, however I can see where the longer 784 might be very advantageous for deep water jigs and casting a c-rig.

Let me see if I can get Gary to touch on this one for us.

Sup Mike, Happy New Year!

Last year I'm pretty sure Rich was trying to talk me into the 784 lol I was using a 7'3" for years prior I think that's why I was sticking with the short rod to begin with... but yeah the 784 would be a major difference but frees up the 744 for other tasks.
MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

Mike Cork

Quote from: Dam0007 on January 09, 2017, 09:35:45 AM
Sup Mike, Happy New Year!

Last year I'm pretty sure Rich was trying to talk me into the 784 lol I was using a 7'3" for years prior I think that's why I was sticking with the short rod to begin with... but yeah the 784 would be a major difference but frees up the 744 for other tasks.

Happy New Year to you as well.

I've let Gary know about this thread, I'm looking forward to his suggestions. He and Richard are usually on par with each other though.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Dam0007

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 09, 2017, 09:46:52 AM
Happy New Year to you as well.

I've let Gary know about this thread, I'm looking forward to his suggestions. He and Richard are usually on par with each other though.

Cool beans! I'm actually grabbing a 3rd too but for something totally different, most likely gonna be a Sierra 734.  ;D

Lipripper

Hey Dam0007 since you haven't been around for a little over a month. Happy New Year and may you catch lots of Big Bass  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Dam0007

Quote from: Lipripper on January 09, 2017, 10:07:46 AM
Hey Dam0007 since you haven't been around for a little over a month. Happy New Year and may you catch lots of Big Bass  ;D
thanks! You too brother! Real life and work has been crazy past couple months.

Lipripper

Quote from: Dam0007 on January 09, 2017, 10:11:12 AM
thanks! You too brother! Real life and work has been crazy past couple months.
It does get that way. ~sweat Well get your new rods and enjoy  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet