vanish flurocarbon!

Started by Richard Cooper, April 09, 2006, 09:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Cooper

I fished the BFL event on Lake Gaston (va.) this weekend, and the fish did bite fairly well considering we had a bunch of thunderstorms.  Gaston is a clear lake and I decided to use some fluro as I was fishing plastics for all my bites.  I am not a fluro expert, but I have seen a lot about berkley vanish so i decided to try it.  I know fluro is not as abrassion resistant as mono, so i frequently checked my line and retied often.  I ended up catching 15 fish total, most shorts, but i broke off 3 fish that were good keepers, not monsters, but solid fish.  This would have given me a limit as i only had two keepers which was good enough for 40th out of 200.  I am extremely dissapointed in this line, it seems to have no knot strength and it seems verry brittle.  those three that i broke off would have put me in the 3rd to 4th place range and won me 700-1000 dollars, but i had to settle for 40th because of a crappy product.  I did notice a major increase in bites because of fluro, but does anyone have any advice on how to not break fish off, i cant afford to do that anymore it really killed me.  I was using 10lb, i might should try some 14-15 seeing as the diameter is smaller than mono.  I have always been one of those lip-rippers also, i guess that doesnt help, i set the hook harder than anyone i know.
Richard Cooper

Kistler Rods, Albackore Tackle Storage, Kidlizard Bait Company, Tripple Fish Lines

Bassman_7b4

Hi Richard,

I have some experience with the Vanish flourocarbin. When I first used it, I kept breaking off was about to trash the rest of the spool that I had left. I took a moment, though and did some comparison on where the line broke and what type of knot I was using at the time. I found out that the palomar knot (which is my favorite) was not a good knot for this line. Everytime I broke off, it broke at the knot and I was using the palomar. I switched to the Trylene knot and the breaking problem stopped. I have used the Vanish as well as the Transition lines from Berkley and I like the Transition line better. I also don't use anything lighter than twelve pound test except for my spinning rod I use for trout fishing. Your problem could also be caused by a defective lot number of line. I hope this helps you out! ~gf
Politicians are like diapers and should be changed periodically for the same reason!

Warpath

Coop,

There is a post here I made about fluorocarbon that covered this very problem.  I also used Vanish Transition and had similar difficulties.  I went to BPS and explained to the clerk what I was having trouble with.  He asked me if I was using Transition and I said I was.  He said he gets alot of similar complaints about the line, and he suggested I try Seaguar.  I was surprised that it was cheaper than Vanish. 

Some suggestions.....all given to me by knowledgable people I trust.

1.  Use a heavy pound test in fluoro than in mono.  You can afford to do this because 10# mono is equal to 14# fluoro.  The diamater of fluoro is smaller than mono.

2.  I love Seaguar Carbon Pro.  I use 15# and 20#  for almost everything, and I will have to respectfully disagree with you on its abrasion resistance.  I thinkit is far superior than mono in most cases. 

3.  I know Bass1cpr will chime in eventually on this.  I love Carbon Pro, but I guess the new Seaguar InvisX is even more supple (soft) than Carbon Pro.  It makes it more castable.  I think the reason Transition breaks so readily is that it is very cablw like and stiff.  One kink in the line and you have created a weak spot and thats where it will break. 

3rd or 4th is a long way from 40th.  Fluoro has its use, and you were right to go to it in a clear water environment.  I am not sponsored by anyone, more less Seaguar.  My experience is that Seaguar wipes Transition.  It's more castable, has great knot strength,  and it hasn't failed me at all since I spooled it up three weeks ago.  The only other lines I use, in mono, are BPS Excel 10#, and 14# Magnaflex.  They really work for me.

Eric

Richard Cooper

thanks for the replies guys, yea those three fish just keep running through my head, it only took 14 lbs to win and i had 4 lbs while breaking off three fish, so as you can imagine i have given those three some thought since yesterday afternoon.
Richard Cooper

Kistler Rods, Albackore Tackle Storage, Kidlizard Bait Company, Tripple Fish Lines

Bassman_7b4

Hi Warpath,

I haven't tried the Seaguar Carbon Pro yet but you have my curiosity piqued. I'll have to get over to BPS and get me some. So far I have only tried the Vanish and the Transition lines but I'm always on the lookout for something better. If I can get it for less cash, that's icing on the cake.

Bassman_7b4
Politicians are like diapers and should be changed periodically for the same reason!

Warpath

Bassman,

It was funny as I told the BPS guy my probelm, that he had this look like he knew where I was going.  When I went to check the line out, I thought the price would be higher, but it was $2 a spool cheaper. 

Honestly, the stuff is a lot softer, casts a lot better, and I don't have to spray it all the time with Reel Magic like I did with Vanish Transition.  I bought the spools before Bass1cpr told me about InvisX.  It is made by Seaguar too, and it is supposed to be even softer, more castable, and I think smaller in diameter than Carbon Pro. 

I have also heard good things about Sugoi line, but I have not tried it.  I think one of the guys in my club uses it, and he loves it.  The InvisX is more expensive than both Carbon Pro and Vanish, but save yourself the trouble of not looking at GAMMA fluoro.  I found it for $32 a spool at Gander Mountain in Columbus and nearly had a cardiac arrest in the store.  I've heard good things about it as well, just can't justify the expense when I love Carbon Pro so much.

Eric

Hawgwild

Lots of folks having problems with Vanish...my friend tried it one outing...after breaking off 3 fish...one a near 5 pounder at the boat...couldn't get home fast enough to get the stuff off...

I just recently put on the Gamma Copolymer line...really like it...I've had it on for a little over 2 weeks and 4 trips to the lake....not had a single problem with the line yet...very low line memory at this time also...I'll take my line ourside, tie some to a tree and walk back and stretch it to get what little memory out..

I'd say it was really tough also....I had 14 lb. Gamma on when I caught may 11.18 lb. bass last Saturday... :)

BPS sells the Gamma copolymer line for $10.99, 14 lb test, 330 yd. spool.....

Scottie

bass1cpr

Richard Cooper I'll give you one more tip about using Fluorocarbon and being a hard hook setter. Loosen your drag just a little so that when you set the hook you hear the drag slip. It'll sound like a zipper. Don't worry the fish will be hooked with suprising results.
   Fluorocarbon has very low strech. Stress any low strech line and bad thigs are going to happen (repeatedley) .
   Give it a try I' sure you'll be happy with the results.
   Warpath's wright Seaguar carbon pro is one of the best choice's if your trying to keep your fishing affordable. Invizx is just a little bit more costly, about a buck or two per spool but both are great lines with out pricing yourself to the moon.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Richard Cooper

yea thanks, I think i will give that a try, and i am going to re spool with a different brand in a higher lb test.  It sure would be nice to try some sunline, but i just can't come off of 40-45 bucks a spool for 200 yds!
Richard Cooper

Warpath

Oh yeah, Sunline is another one of those stop your heart lines.  I heard is was $$$$$ but I din't think it was that bad.

I'll stick with my Carbon Pro.

Eric

topcat

Just want to throw another Line into the pool...Xps is a good.......
Fluorocarbon line 100%....it is pricey.....but it is good....KVD use it and reccomends it...you can see it at Bass Pro.......

Topcat

kw4570gov

Tried Vanish, could not get home fast enough to get rid of it. It broke numerous times during hook set. If I cannot use a Palomar knot and have to be careful setting the hook, I will stick with Berkley Big Game. It has never let me down.

Kent

P.S. It's cheaper too!!!

Richard Cooper

update: I decided to give it one more shot before throwing it away for good, not in a tournament this time thank god!  I left the 10lb test on and went to a little honey hole near my house that I have been catching a lot of big ones out of lately.  I loosened my drag a little just in case i set the hook too hard, tied a fishermans/trilene knot, and tried my best to set the hook a little lighter.  I never broke off a fish and never retied!  I would have retied if i was in a tournament but this was test day, I guess because the stuff has no stretch, you dont have to really get into the hook set like you do with mono, just a simple sweek sets the hook all the way.  I know this is still a high maintenence line to use, but it really does make a difference in the number of bites you are getting.  I have still decided to take off the ten lb, and use 15 just incase.
Richard Cooper