Pro Guide 175 Combo

Started by NickIL, January 15, 2017, 07:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickIL

I have a '14 Pro Guide V-175 Combo.  My cranking battery is located near the stern, below the pedestal seat.  My deep cycle battery is located in a hatch directly under the pedestal seat on the front fishing platform.  I would like to "add" a second deep cycle battery for those all-day trips, especially when a lot of boat positioning in high winds is an issue.  For those familiar with the schematics, is there an obvious location for the 2nd battery (that would be switched with something like a Perko switch)?  Or, should I just plan on manually switching the batteries when necessary?  Other options?  Thanks.

Oldfart9999

Is there room for 2 batteries in that compartment, I don't remember? If there is just hook them together positive to positive and negative to negative, Add a 2 bank on board charger there.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pondprowlers

as oldfart said,

easiest would be to wire them in parallel. which will made it still 12v but twice the amount of runtime/battery length since you are equally draining each battery together.

Just make sure to wire in PARALLEL, and NOT series otherwise itll be 24v and youll probably fry the Trolling motor.

NickIL

Unfortunately, the front compartment just has room for the deep cycle battery.  The rear hatch, where the cranking battery is located, does have room for a second battery, but it looks like it would be a challenge to wire the second deep cycale battery into the system.

Kris

I am not sure of the layout in the boat so I can't help you with that.  But............. I agree with putting a second battery in wired parallel.  Wire the batteries positive to positive and negative to negative then connect your trolling motor to either battery.  I run my bow mount, an MK Edge 55, that way and have never had a problem.  I also use Group 29/31 batteries as my power source.  Be sure to match or increase the AWG wire size of the trolling motor wire to the socket.  I used 8 gauge wire on my aluminum boat rebuild.  Good luck.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Oldfart9999

Since you don't have room for another battery I would just go with the largest battery I could find. To run another battery from the rear would be tough, you're talking running 6 or 8 gauge cable where there isn't a chase to do it. You could try to run a fish from the compartment aft to the bow to see if it's possible, if it is just run a switch to change from one to the other. Be sure to have a 50 or 60 amp fuse in there some where.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

NickIL

Thanks for the excellent feedback fellas.