OK...NED RIG thoughts and questions.

Started by analfisherman, January 20, 2017, 11:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

Well I've used the Ned Rig for awhile now.
And yes I recently read BassMasters article about Ned Kehde who popularized the technique.
I got some ideas from the article and some new thoughts on places to use it.
I've done well on it BUT as you may have guessed........I use a lot of different baits other than a 3" Elastic worm.
Caught A LOT OF FISH but most in the 14"-16" range and smaller.
Biggest 3.2 lbs.

So lets start with the questions about YOUR results.  :)
1)  What's the best day (most fish) you've had using the Ned Rig?
2)  What's the BIGGEST BASS you've caught using the Ned Rig?
3)  What's your favorite BOW you use it on?  (EX: Lake/River/Pond.....Clear water/dingy water/etc....Moving water/still water/etc
4)  Do you have a favorite time of year to use it?
5)  Have you ever used ANYTHING other than a 3-4" worm?  (if so what and why and howd it work for you)
6)  Whats your favorite weight......and WHY?

NOW for the questions about the ideas I have!  ::) lo

1a)   Have you ever used it during Spawn? (if so, what bait did you use and results)
2a)   Have you ever used a 'skirt' on the jig?

AND for the reason for the questions.   ::) ;) lo probably guessed I had an ALTERNATIVE MOTIVE for the Anal research and questions.......OTHER THAN JUST WAITING FOR THE ICE TO MELT.  :'(

So I'm looking to eliminate the small ones and while doing so...CATCH A HOG!!!!!!! ;D

So last year I was thinking of trying a 'skirted jig'.
And now I see this year Zmann came out with a skirted Shroomz Micro Finesse Jig.
Well they use Silicone Skirts.

I want to use HAIR on some NuTech Crappie Jigs along with some 3/16th Mushroom heads.
I'm going to use Zshads as bait (used them creek fishing for Smallies and did well).

So NOW FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION OF THIS SHORT THREAD!!!!!!   ::) lo

What hair do you jig tying/skirt making  guys think I should use?
I want it to pulsate with almost no action provided along with a slight current. (when applicable)

So Fox, squirrel, rabbit, deer, Marabou, artificial....or should I use feather instead or in combo with hair?

Answer as many or as few of the questions you want.......EVEN ONE if you never Ned Rig BUT TIE FLIES/JIGS

Thanks Pro Staff!!!!!!!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

merc1997

the nature of the bait itself is going to lend it to catching everything that swims, and in particular smaller bass.  however, with that said, to catch bigger bass more consistently just upsize and use the 5 inch elaztek senko.  it does the same thing for you.  you are just fishing a larger bait.  it float up just the same as the small piece.  the elaztek minnows are just as effective for bottom fishing.  when bottom fishing the 4" minnow i use a NuTech jig of the appropriate weight and nose hook the minnow.  it is deadly on summer bass that are foraging on shad.

you just have to think outside the box sometimes.  i like the elaztek products because of the float factor, but also because of the suppleness and softness.  it looks very natural in the water.  elaztek is one of those things that you just have to learn the ins and outs of using the material.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

MBB Nate

I threw a ned rig about 75% of the time since last spring.

1/16th oz pumpkin schroomZ with a green pumpkin blue flake finesse shadZ.   I fish it on a spin rig with a ML rod and 8lb fluoro.

I did not go a single trip without catching fish.  I can't tell you my most productive day because I lost count.  I caught quite a few 5+ lb fish.

analfisherman

Bo, thanks for some great input!

I've used the larger worms along with TurboCrawZ 4", PaddlerZ 4" & 5", CrawdadZ 4" (Go too for Smallies)

Strike King Cyber Flexxx......centipedes 4",  Craw Bats 4.5"

The Strike Kings Cyber Flexxx are actually a plastic made from Zmann FOR Strike King.....old school ....actually before Zmann started to market their own ElasTech line?
Ya Ned popularized the Ned Rig but strong plastics have been in my arsenal and around for some time now.
As well as SK, Caffiene Shads.

I do have a pack of Copperttreuse and Dirt Finesse Worms 7"...SK but they are Elaztech....not Cyber Flexx....haven't tried yet so don't know if there is a difference or if I will be able to tell?

loomisguy

I don't think there is a bad time to throw it. I usually use a 1/16 OR 1/8 OZ. head and a TRD . Either green pumpkin or pbj . There is another color called the deal that has been good also.
It does catch a variety of fish for sure.
My wife had post spawn LM that would have been very close to 6 last year. I've had several 50 + fish days on Table Rock.
  I use a ML spinning rod, 10lb. braid and 6 lb. leader.

analfisherman

MBB, thanks for sharing and your input!

5+ is the target!!!! ;) lo

So where you from?
What type of water you fish?
Are FIVES a norm or a rarity in your area?
WHY you stop tossing them after Spring?
Are the FIVES....bed fish? (Spring)

Come on, you know your not going to get off that easy!  ;) lo
Again, thanks for sharing!

analfisherman

loomisguy,
Thank You for great input and sharing with me/us.

Don't anyone miss-understand.....I like to catch all the fish I can......and ElazTech doesn't make you go through a ton of plastics doing it.......so small fish doesn't anger me......I'm JUST ANAL and always trying to 'up' my game and learn.

loomis, Thanks again.

loomisguy

Another thing I might add is to super glue the TRD to the jig head.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: loomisguy on January 21, 2017, 09:10:52 AM

Superglue has become my bait saving friend. I picked up that tip from Jake Davis using it on swimbaits and use it for a lot of my plastics.  ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Pacific NW Ron

I have used what now is called "Ned Rig" in some form or another for as long as I've been fishing for bass, probably 50 years.  Occasionally I'll take it a step further and even use a real live worm.  The live worm rig is actually what we used most often when I was younger.  It was much cheaper.
This rig has been my go to for as long as I can remember.  Many times I've looked in my box or bag and wondered why I have all that gear in it.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

loomisguy

By the way, those SK Zeros are elaztech and the same as a ZInker Z. Just cut them in half and away you go.
Thats how we did it before the TRD. You actually get a couple more out of the bag by cutting a Zero or Zinker Z .

merc1997

one thing that i might add about the super glue is that i have found for what you can buy at the store, the gorilla super glue seems to work the best.

however, i use some of the glue that i had made to glue our guide arms in, and it does an even better job.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

analfisherman

Great point/idea.
I've been using the Shroomz jig when I'm actually 'finesse' fishing because they have a barb on the hook shaft that keeps it in place.

Quote from: sportsmansfriend on January 21, 2017, 09:56:37 AM
I have used what now is called "Ned Rig" in some form or another for as long as I've been fishing for bass, probably 50 years.
This rig has been my go to for as long as I can remember.  Many times I've looked in my box or bag and wondered why I have all that gear in it.
Ron

Yes, another old schooler.
I too have used this method for sometime BUT being just a 'puppy'....50 years ago I was still getting lost walking to kindergarten class. (no it wasn't 20 miles each way  ;) lo)
You using full size plastic worms?

Quote from: loomisguy on January 21, 2017, 09:58:31 AM
By the way, those SK Zeros are elaztech and the same as a ZInker Z. Just cut them in half and away you go.
Thats how we did it before the TRD. You actually get a couple more out of the bag by cutting a Zero or Zinker Z .

A TRD is 2.75" and a Zero is 5"........so your down sizing even more?
I was using Zeros a couple of years ago........but ended up preferring 4" cut and was throwing away the rest......

Quote from: merc1997 on January 21, 2017, 10:43:16 AM
one thing that i might add about the super glue is that i have found for what you can buy at the store, the gorilla super glue seems to work the best.

however, i use some of the glue that i had made to glue our guide arms in, and it does an even better job.

bo

I use Gorilla Glue at the house...... "If you can't fix it with Duct Tape or Super Glue......than you have to buy a NEW one!"  I always say.
Incidentally... I use Gorilla Clear Repair Tape for duct tape too.  ;)

Bo, you have a small tube of GG or do you carry a larger bottle?

I'm going to have to do a thread on using SuperGlue.....I used to use it with some definite challenges!!!
Else I'm afraid this thread may gravitate towards glue questions/answers....because I HAVE MANY.  ::)

Bo, Mr. loomis, Ron, Princeton-Man,
THANKS FOR SOME GREAT INPUT!!! ~c~

Down4ttown

Always have the Ned tied on. 1/5oz is my favorite weight. Throw it on 10lb Sunline flouro on an aldebaran. Use a med light rod.

Caught 36 bass on it one day last spring. Biggest fish was 5.6lbs and 3 4lbers. Love the Ned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

analfisherman

Quote from: Down4ttown on January 21, 2017, 12:42:53 PM
Always have the Ned tied on. 1/5oz is my favorite weight. Throw it on 10lb Sunline flouro on an aldebaran. Use a med light rod.

Caught 36 bass on it one day last spring. Biggest fish was 5.6lbs and 3 4lbers. Love the Ned

Down4ttown,
Thanks for the input!

Are you talking an Aberdeen Hook? Or you talking a Shimano Aldebaran Reel.....I think the reel but making sure.

Down4ttown

Quote from: analfisherman on January 21, 2017, 01:30:39 PM
Down4ttown,
Thanks for the input!

Are you talking an Aberdeen Hook? Or you talking a Shimano Aldebaran Reel.....I think the reel but making sure.
Reel. I throw the Ned so much that I bought a set up for it.

Kris

So lets start with the questions about YOUR results. 
Actually the best day I had with a Ned Rig was 14 bass.  I did notice that many of the bass were smaller than expected.
Biggest bass was around 2.5 pounds
3)  What's your favorite BOW you use it on?  (EX: Lake/River/Pond.....Clear water/dingy water/etc....Moving water/still water/etc
Fishing mostly drinking water reservoir lakes.  Very clear water most of the time but sometimes has color from flow or wind.  Baits in Green/gold flake seem best in the reservoirs for me and the back of pockets seems best.  Again, fish seem smaller than a wacky worm setup.
5)  Have you ever used ANYTHING other than a 3-4" worm?  (if so what and why and howd it work for you)
I have always used Yum Dingers cut in half on the Shroom head
I use the 1/8th Shroom head most of the time.  I do have them in 1/16th also but the 1/8 seems best for me.  I did pick up some weedless heads to try and see if they help in some areas.  I did try one without a bait lock and it was a PITA.

Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

loomisguy

Go ahead and cut the Zinker and use both ends...The fish won't measure that that 1/4 inch..
The TRD is convenient but I've never seen a difference in it vs half a Zinker or Zero.

MBB Nate

Quote from: analfisherman on January 21, 2017, 08:57:20 AM
MBB, thanks for sharing and your input!

5+ is the target!!!! ;) lo

So where you from? Oklahoma
What type of water you fish?Lakes
Are FIVES a norm or a rarity in your area? Not really, most fish are between 1-2 lbs
WHY you stop tossing them after Spring?I fished the ned rig all year
Are the FIVES....bed fish? (Spring)Nope, water visibility is only about 2-3 ft and I couldn't see a bed if I wanted to
Here is a video I made of the action of a finesse ShadZ.  You can see why it catches so many fish the action is amazing.  I typically cast it out, let it sink for a couple seconds and fish it similar to a jerk bait.  Jerk, jerk, reel, jerk, jerk, reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLbjd1kd68

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: MBB Nate on January 21, 2017, 06:09:36 PM
Here is a video I made of the action of a finesse ShadZ.  You can see why it catches so many fish the action is amazing.  I typically cast it out, let it sink for a couple seconds and fish it similar to a jerk bait.  Jerk, jerk, reel, jerk, jerk, reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLbjd1kd68

Nate, I tried to watch the video but You Tube says it is unavailable. You may want to check your channel and make sure there is nothing of concern for you going on.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Tavery5

NOW for the questions about the ideas I have!  ::) lo

1a)   Have you ever used it during Spawn? (if so, what bait did you use and results)
2a)   Have you ever used a 'skirt' on the jig?

Being from the same general area as Ned Kahde I have known about and fished the "Ned Rig" for quite some time.  It is important to understand that the "Ned Rig" is a very specific type of terminal tackle and bait, most anything else fished using this same system is known as midwest finesse fishing in this area.   

The "Ned Rig" is a ZMann Zinkerz cut in half, or more recently the TRD, which uses a different formula than the Zinkerz and a very light mushroom jig.    ( We can discuss formulation differences and how they have an effect on the action of the bait if the thread moves that direction.)

The most fish I have ever caught in a day is over 50 and have done it multiple times, my partner and I have had several days of over 100 fish total.

The biggest bass that I have caught on the Ned Rig is a 3.7 lb smallmouth and a few largemouth bass in the 5lb class.  Here a 5lb largemouth and a 3lb smallmouth are nice fish.

My favorite body of water to fish it on would be reservoirs with clear water and lot of rock, smallmouth waters in this area.   

I fish the Ned Rig from early spring into the late fall, after that my fishing slows down considerably.  I will say the Ned really shines on hot muggy summer afternoons when it is tough fishing.

As mentioned above the "Ned Rig" is a small mushroom head and a Zinkerz cut in half, so I guess I would say no that I do not fish any other baits.

My favorite weight depends on conditions, but in good conditions, I prefer a 1/16th oz head, it allows the bait to have the proper action, and promotes the "feel nothing" technique that Mr. Kahde promotes.

I have used the bait during spawn, with good results, but other baits have matched or exceeded the results I have had with the "Ned Rig".   

When you use a skirted jig, you are no longer talking about the "Ned Rig"  I do use skirted jigs with elaztech baits, primarily the bitsy bug and leech, works well at times, but again, it is outside the purist definition of the "Ned Rig".

I don't mean my post to sound concerning, but Ned's followers in this area are very clear on what the "Ned Rig" is and is not, it was his followers that gave it the name.   They are a devout group of fisherman that will tell you the "Ned Rig" is a lot more than the bait and hook but really a system of fishing that promotes frugality and  catching large numbers of fish, regardless of size.

MBB Nate

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 21, 2017, 08:17:24 PM
Nate, I tried to watch the video but You Tube says it is unavailable. You may want to check your channel and make sure there is nothing of concern for you going on.

Should be able to watch now.

Smallie_Stalker

Yep, that works now.   ~sun  Lots of action on that bait.Looks very natural though.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

analfisherman

Smallie I can't get it....can you make it a LIVE link?

Kris thanks for great input!

Tavery thanks for some good insight!

The skirt deal is just me and I did see that Zmann calls the skirted Shroomz Jig a 'Micro Finesse Jig' so good point.
Ned actually prefers Gopher jigs.
I have read  the BassMaster article on Ned himself and his input on the actual Ned System like 6 times so far. I really learned A LOT from him/his article. ~c~
And you are exactly right...it's a lot more than just a bait.
He uses 6 different RETRIEVES when Neding.

So again Great input.

One thing that Ned did say though is he uses more than just a half worm (his preference is still a half ZinkerZ) but he uses a pretty wide variety of other baits too.
He says he uses, ShadZ, the hula StickZ, the TRD Tube and even the TRD itself.

But he also says he uses 'Scent' added to his baits too.
He likes, 'Pro-Cure Nightcrawler Super Gel'.

The anglers in your area using scent additives?

OH and for you Anglers that don't get BassMaster Mag. here's a video from Ned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqGTzPt6TIQ

MBB Nate

Fixed the url.

It has a lot more action on a rod, the tail really flails around and it looks similar to a tadpole kind of motion.

I havent tried any scent on these, i have tried scent on hula stix but i havent seen any difference in # of fish.