MY PB story

Started by bassinbrian, January 24, 2017, 10:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassinbrian

Just wanted to share my story of my PB largemouth ... because I'm not too proud of it  ::) lo 

I grew up and spent most my 20's as just a general fisherman, didn't matter what I caught as long as I was out on the boat and casting a line. Then I actually started to learn more about bigger bass and new tactics , especially after a buddy introduced me to jig fishing. I picked up some better equipment and learned where and when to use it. Boy what a difference that makes  ~shade

So I had this local swamp not far from me in the hill towns of upstate NY. Heard a few "stories" from locals, but nothing real reliable. I started fishing this same body of water on a regular basis, learning the ins-and-outs, weather effects, etc...

Little by little I notice great results. Up until then this point i hadn't even landed a 5lber. Then like a light switch each trip out I kept finding better and better fish. Days of mult 5lbers, then a few 6's ... eventually I landed a 7lber and was like WOW !! (all this over a few years span) as I got more confident.

Knowing what I knew about my honey hole I said to myself one day , there has to be bigger fish in here and I'm going to find one. I set my Northeast goal of catching a 8lber in NY waters, big goal, but I like to dream big.  :) 

The magical day was Tuesday Oct 15th 2013   ... I missed out fishing over the weekend and kept a close eye on the forecast. Things looked good so I took a day off of work to go (what a great choice that ended up being).  The fall in the NE is a great time for huge bass to feed, prime jigging time of the year. 

I couldn't get any buddies to go, so solo it was (I not one to go solo very often, I enjoy sharing the water and laughs with buddies) . Chilly morning so I slept in till 9am , this place I never did well early am, they seemed to like mid-day feeding here.

Slow to start, couple small ones but I kept at it. I see a nice thick patch of cover, set my eyes on the spot I wanted to hit, adjust the boat just right.  I give a nice pitch in, just after the big 3/4oz black jig disappears into the matt I see the line jump , I know what that is, give a eye-crossing hookset and I knew she was decent.  Took a deep dive into grass , heading towards boat. I horse her out and reach for the net, she tries to dive under boat but I get her and a clump of grass, not yet being about to tell just how big. 

Once I lift over the side and reach for the mouth while clearing grass ... I was in AWE !!  :o  With a HUGE smile.  I knew she was 7+ ... and after weighing her 4 times just to make sure, it was confirmed ... 8lb 4oz slob   ~bb

She had recently ate something else based on the massive bulge in her belly. I'm guessing that put here over the 8lb mark, just very glad she was being a pig and ate my jig too.

Really wish I had a buddy there with me to share the experience and help with photos.
But it all ended well.  She went back in to grow. Never caught her again over the past couple years.

So that's it, I know it's long winded but certainly burned in my memory bank forever.

~beer~

thanks for looking.
BB

Adam

~c~ I've never caught anything bigger than five, but I'm hoping to change that now that I live in Florida.

rockchalk06

Terry G

Anyone would be proud of that HAWG

Lipripper

Thanks for sharing your story and that's a great looking Bass. ~c~ ~c~ Now go get the 10 lber. ~bb

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cojab

Not long winded at all. Good story and great fish! Congrats.
TTK has spoken.

bassinbrian

thanks guys.

Quote from: Lipripper on January 24, 2017, 11:45:38 AM
Thanks for sharing your story and that's a great looking Bass. ~c~ ~c~ Now go get the 10 lber. ~bb

I know right !!    ~fff

I'm ready for some more 8's  ... but a 10 is my new goal now that I live down here.  ;)
First I have to get a darn license and get my butt out there.

BB

analfisherman

Again, great fish!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Lipripper

Quote from: bassinbrian on January 24, 2017, 11:51:00 AM
thanks guys.

I know right !!    ~fff

I'm ready for some more 8's  ... but a 10 is my new goal now that I live down here.  ;)

BB
Just do it. lo lo You can get your license on line and then you wouldn't have to get out there to get it. ~roflmao ~roflmao

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

zippyduck

Great story, now get your license. You are in the south now and the fishing is best now. Don't wait till June it is way to hot then.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

cortman

Congrats man! Great story and great fish! I felt the same way when I caught my 8 lb. PB. :)

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catch and thanks for sharing the trip and pictures with us. ~c~

That's a very nice bass there  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

big g

That is something to be very proud of. ~c~  For New York that is a monster fish, and probably pretty old for bass.   Glad you got a good picture. ~c~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Oldfart9999

It's about 3 lbs shy of the state record. A really really nice bass. Did it come out of one of the City water supply reservoirs?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SFL BassHunter

Very nice fish! When you get your sights set on a goal it's just a matter of time before it's met. Like the other guys said get your license it's real easy. You can get em at your local Walmart or just go to the FWC site and order online. I renew mine online every year. It's quick and easy! Also the fwc website has a lot of good info on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

bassinbrian

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 25, 2017, 05:42:58 AM
It's about 3 lbs shy of the state record. A really really nice bass. Did it come out of one of the City water supply reservoirs?
Rodney

Yea not many 8+ taken from NY waters, I know it was a special one.  Taken from a public body of water with a state launch, got plenty of fishing pressure. Small body of water , kind of swamp like (and FL like  ;))  ... shallow weedy etc...

BB

bassinbrian

Thanks for the lisc info Rick   ... always easier to do on line for sure.

BB

coldfront

Quote from: bassinbrian on January 24, 2017, 11:51:00 AM

first ... wow! and congrats... that's a very special northern bass...  and great photos to boot.
good luck with the 10 down here...  have same goal...   ;D  working hard these coming months to see if I can make it a reality...

Keep us posted on your journey! 

jocko

I guess your fishing holes are locked in ice ? 

For a public lake in NY - that is a BEAST!  Amazing catch - congrats. 

LgMouthGambler

Thats a monster for North of the Mason Dixon. Congrats!

<")))<{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.