Rod Tip uses

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 30, 2017, 10:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

I am in the schmo fishing knowledge category.  This question is about rod tips.  We often speak about rod lengths and rod powers but not a lot of mention about tips.  Just what are the applications for certain tip speeds.  When to use certain tips (i.e.)  extra fast, fast, etc.etc.

Mike Cork

The hardest part about tip actions for people is to understand what they mean.

In general terms, tip action discribes how fast a rod quits bending.

A fast action might stop bending and transfer to the "back bone" of a rod at 20 inches from the tip. Where as an extra fast in the same rod would stop bending and transfer to the back bone at 16 inches from the tip. This gives the angler the feel of a stiffer over all rod.

Actions come into play for a lot of different reasons.

Casting - the slower the action the more load an angler can put in the rod. This generates longer casts until the weight of the lure over powers the rod and distance is dramatically reduced.

Working baits - to slow of an action can prevent working baits easily or effectively. To fast of an action can limit casting distance and accuracy. Too fast can also hamper hook up ability when fishing reaction type baits. Jerk Baits for example - a slower action helps with casting, prevents moving the bait too far on twitches, allows a bass to engulf the bait before the rod pulls it away from them on strikes, and gives when a bass surges during battle preventing the hooks from pulling free.

Fighting a bass - faster action rods can move a bass quicker. So when dealing with heavy cover a faster action rod can help get a bass to open water. However a fast action rod can pull baits away from a striking bass or tear hooks free.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

analfisherman

WOW MIKE..........that is probably the BEST explanation I've EVER read!!!!!!!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Capt. BassinLou

That's great explanation Mike!! Lock it, and put a sticky on this one....  lo ... ~c~

Mike Cork

Quote from: analfisherman on January 30, 2017, 12:14:09 PM
WOW MIKE..........that is probably the BEST explanation I've EVER read!!!!!!!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

From a research guru like you that make me feel good  ~c~

I've sat with some of the best builders around and soaked up a lot.

Quote from: Bassinlou on January 30, 2017, 12:22:44 PM
That's great explanation Mike!! Lock it, and put a sticky on this one....  lo ... ~c~

As I was writing this I was thinking it would make a great article  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

As I was writing this I was thinking it would make a great article  :-*
[/quote]

Get writing, because that's a good topic. This type of question is asked a lot.  :)

LgMouthGambler

As Im reading all the smart responses, I was gonna respond with "using as a depth finder".  ~roflmao

Im sure Lee is gonna kill me.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lee Smith

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on January 30, 2017, 01:34:12 PM
As Im reading all the smart responses, I was gonna respond with "using as a depth finder".  ~roflmao

Im sure Lee is gonna kill me.  lo

OH no, make a lot of $$ on those Rod depth finders, love them, EVERYBODY should use them, it's perfect!  ;)  lo
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

zippyduck

Mike that was an excellent explanation and good luck  with the article.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Tavery5

Some great information here.  There is one other thing about "rod tips" that can make them even harder to decide on the correct rod action for the bait and environment that you want to fish in.   As Mike said, "In general terms, tip action describes how fast a rod quits bending" but what has not been discussed is the amount of force required to create that bend.   
This is where the discussion of descriptions like XF action with a soft tip, or M power Moderate Fast Action with a stiffer tip.   

So you see you can have a XF action with a very soft tip, where XF describes where the rod stops bending and Soft describes the force required to create that bend.   

With no standards across the board with rod makers it becomes even more difficult to get that exact rod action you are looking for.

Mike Bush

And...to go deeper into this topic.

The line in use will affect what that rod will do according to the technique (baits) used. It is equally important to know your style of fishing and match the rods and lines together for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.

One thing I have noticed with a certain brand is they all tend to be very parabolic (soft tip, slow action) across the line. With that sort of rod, you should know what you are getting and how to fish with it. What that type of rod can do well...and what it cant. It can be frustrating if you dont have your setups correct for the type of fishing your are doing, and dont have it matched to your personal skills and preferences. Ive seen many people miss alot of fish in a day due to the incorrectly matched equipment.