15hp getting low speeds

Started by evansjoem, February 11, 2017, 02:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evansjoem

So I have my 1985 15hp Evinrude.  It is a long shaft motor on a short transom.  Is this the reason I'm only getting 10mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

evansjoem

14 semi-v Gregor

Princeton_Man

Quote from: evansjoem on February 15, 2017, 02:47:29 PM
14 semi-v Gregor

I'm not familiar with the boat but I searched it out a little. The 14 foot H and U series weigh in around 900 lbs and they appeaar to have a relatively wide beam at 60" and  63". I'm leaning towards 10mph not being too bad. The long shaft could be slowing you down a little.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

evansjoem

Ya I'm gonna put a jack plate on it to see if that helps

Princeton_Man

That's a lot of boat for 15 ponies. Is there a max hp rating on it?

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

How fast were you expecting to go on a 15 horse? There are several factors contributing to the speed of your rig. Size, weight, fuel, gear, batteries, etc. Lastly, how many people are on the boat?

Oldfart9999

Raise the motor til the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the hull and then play with the trim settings. Takes some time but I think you'll notice a big change.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

evansjoem

Thank you

evansjoem

Quote from: evansjoem on February 20, 2017, 12:20:01 PM
Thank you

Building a side console

Oldfart9999

Interesting, keep us posted on the work. I noticed one thing, it looks like a corner of the windshield is covering part of a hatch.?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

evansjoem

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on February 21, 2017, 07:47:13 AM
Interesting, keep us posted on the work. I noticed one thing, it looks like a corner of the windshield is covering part of a hatch.?
Rodney
No that is a seat pedestal mount that will be removed

LgMouthGambler

You may just have a heavy boat. I have a 13ft V hull jon with a 5hp 4 stroke Mercury(Tihatsu) on it. Boat, deck, batteries, trolling motor, and gear probably bring the thing to a total of 500lbs. And I can do 15mph
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

evansjoem

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on February 21, 2017, 03:42:25 PM
You may just have a heavy boat. I have a 13ft V hull jon with a 5hp 4 stroke Mercury(Tihatsu) on it. Boat, deck, batteries, trolling motor, and gear probably bring the thing to a total of 500lbs. And I can do 15mph
I will play with it when I get the jack plate

evansjoem

Now to clean it up and polish the face

evansjoem

She is done

evansjoem

Boat did awesome after months of building and testing

Princeton_Man

Looks like you did pretty good yourself! Nice fish! ~c~

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

evansjoem

Thank u all

West6550

evansjoem

Thank you

icuOklaCity

Not sure if the OP is still active in the fourms, but if you are what was the speed before you installed the Jack Plate and after what type of mph gain did you see..???

I have a 1978 12' Deep V Gregor (U model)Conversion power by a 2016 Suzuki DF15 . with me and gear along with the added weight of both the decks I've add I still get 21.7 mph (gps). I've built a Jack Plate with 4-1/2" of setback and 4" of lift but have yet to install it . Hoping to gain 5-7 mph once installed...

Lipripper

Quote from: icuOklaCity on August 18, 2018, 12:44:54 AM
Not sure if the OP is still active in the fourms, but if you are what was the speed before you installed the Jack Plate and after what type of mph gain did you see..???

I have a 1978 12' Deep V Gregor (U model)Conversion power by a 2016 Suzuki DF15 . with me and gear along with the added weight of both the decks I've add I still get 21.7 mph (gps). I've built a Jack Plate with 4-1/2" of setback and 4" of lift but have yet to install it . Hoping to gain 5-7 mph once installed...
I see that he stopped by a few days ago even though he didn't post. Send him a PM and ask him your question he might answer his PM's

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet