Looking for some HALLPPP!

Started by Pferox, February 13, 2017, 08:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pferox

I've never worked on a laptop before and am kind of stumped.

I am trying to recover some data from a friend's old, dead laptop.  I have the hard drive out, and the connections on it look like a male serial ribbon cable, without the extra power plug that is found on an old serial PC hard drive.

I have a couple of questions about this.

Is there more than one standard, like there is on PCs, as an example Ide, and Sata?  Or are they all the same connectors?

Is there a docking cable available that will allow me to connect this to either a serial connection on my desk top, or better yet a way to dock it to a USB port? 

Once I get the HD connected to my desktop, I can get the data out, it is just getting it connected to my machine that has become the challenge.

Thanks in advance for any information Y'all can pass along.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Lipripper

Jim good luck and sorry I can't help none the only advice I could give would be too ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

That's probably an ATA-100 (IDE) drive and yes the power is supplied on that header connection. You can purchase a USB IDE bridge like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6RA55U9411&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Hard+Drive+Adapters-_-9SIA6RA55U9411&gclid=CMGol-WpjdICFc-PswodQ0QH_w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Be sure to get one that comes with a power supply. Most of them will also support SATA as well.

Here's one from Amazon with power.

https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Adapter-Converter-External/dp/B00BIE996S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486997788&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+ide+bridge
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Pacific NW Ron

Another example of why UltimateBass is the best site around.  There ain't nothing you can't find out on here.  It's not only fishing.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Lipripper

Quote from: sportsmansfriend on February 13, 2017, 09:19:36 AM
Another example of why UltimateBass is the best site around.  There ain't nothing you can't find out on here.  It's not only fishing.
Ron
Your so right Ron we have fishing geeks. We have computer geeks. We have motor geeks. We have boat geeks. We have rod and reel geeks and then we have posting geeks like me  lo lo All with one thing in common the willingness to share with anyone that ask. ~c~ ~c~

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pferox

Thanks guys, I haven't decided on what to get yet.  I have two Sata docks, but am going to look for something IDE that will also handle laptop drives.  Those look interesting and are on the list of possibilities. 
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Lee Smith

Jim, you gotta take that thang-a-magiggy and stick it in the watchamacallit.  Then you turn them on and wait till they booted up, walk outside, find some 10 year old kid and pay him $1.00 to fix the crap

~roflmao  ~roflmao

Or, that's what I do  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Pferox

Around here, I'm still the 10 year old kid.  ~roflmao

I just spent almost 2 weeks figuring out what was wrong with one of two BRAND NEW machines that Jan bought for us.  If somebody who wasn't in the know about this stuff got this machine, it would have been game over, it was a dog to figure out.

Lipripper

Quote from: Lee Smith on February 22, 2017, 06:32:36 AM
Jim, you gotta take that thang-a-magiggy and stick it in the watchamacallit.  Then you turn them on and wait till they booted up, walk outside, find some 10 year old kid and pay him $1.00 to fix the crap

~roflmao  ~roflmao

Or, that's what I do  ;D
Works for mew too Lee  lo lo either that or a big   lo

Smallie_Stalker

Ironic that computers were designed to solve problems and make life easier.  ::)

Lipripper

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 22, 2017, 04:04:39 PM
Ironic that computers were designed to solve problems and make life easier.  ::)
Ya right. ~roflmao ~roflmao

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 22, 2017, 04:04:39 PM
Ever notice how the machine that was supposed to eliminate the need for paper has increased the us of said item. :shocking: :shocking: :surrender:
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

I buy it by the case now instead of by the pad. SMH.