TXW 175 trolling motor upgrade

Started by Keneds, February 14, 2017, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keneds

Curious to know what you replaced the dinky 45 lb. thrust trolly with, I'm having a mental argument with myself on which direction to go.......Minnkota Talon or a new  80 lb. 24v motor with the spot lock feature . Opinions?
2016 Tracker pro 175txw / 12' Minn Kota Talon / Minn Kota 80 lb. Fortrex / Lowrance Elite 7ti Bow and console

Mike Cork

How often do you fish water shallow enough for the talon?

If most of your fishing is in deeper water then I'd lean towards the spot lock. Spot lock can be used in shallow water too. The only problem with spot lock in shallow water is the constant trolling motor movement where with a talon you can sit still and quiet.

If my boat stayed in deeper than 8 feet of water the majority of the time I'd definitely lean towards the spot lock.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Keneds

A little of everything. I could probably justify use for both.
2016 Tracker pro 175txw / 12' Minn Kota Talon / Minn Kota 80 lb. Fortrex / Lowrance Elite 7ti Bow and console

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Keneds on February 14, 2017, 06:27:09 PM
A little of everything. I could probably justify use for both.
Did you buy the un it yet? If not go with the Terrova not the Power Drive, trying to use the foot control on the Power drive is a pain and you can't use it with I-Pilot, with the Terova use can use each, in the wind you don't want to have to be stuck with the remote control only, you won';t get much fishing in. Ask me how I know! I had a PD, got so frustrated I ripped it out, sold it for half of what it was worth and used the money to buy a Terrova.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.