Favorite chatterbait

Started by cojab, February 15, 2017, 06:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West6550

Quote from: steve76 on February 15, 2017, 10:19:57 PM
    Siebert outdoors Fogy bladed jig. I use only the 1/2oz and it stays down better than any of the others I have.

^This. Fogy is a good color as well.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Bassun67 on February 28, 2017, 09:20:43 AM
FloridaFishinFool

Thanks you. I love to read your posts, ALL are very knowledgable and interesting.

I wonder if the vibration of inline spinner is the same as chatterbait? I am trying to DIY a inline spinner and wonder if I do not have the small piece of "U" type metal to attach to the blade before inserting to the metal line, will the blade spin when retrieving?

I appreciate the kudos on my forum efforts. Hopefully by now this thread has served its purpose informing the OP of some of the best chatterbait choices so hopefully deviating a little bit now won't undermine the purpose of this thread.

I would have to say no the vibration of the inline spinner is nothing like the chatterbait. The chatterbait plows the water while the spinner is trying to rotate without moving much water. I say trying to rotate because when buzzing it across the surface through heavy vegetation it is often prevented from spinning as you would see it do in open water.

But my theory on this is if a fish is in a hole in the grass and an inline spinner or chatterbait is moving across the surface above it, the fish has only a fraction of a second to respond to it.

Does a fish really sit there and think a chatterbait sounds better than a spinner? A reaction strike could be on any moving target within the fish's range.

But I can't sit here and try and say a bass likes one better than the other. Both catch fish. Presentation has a lot to do with it as does other factors. Some will swear up and down the color of the blade makes the difference, or the color of the rubber lure used on it make the difference, the trailer, the skirt, this or that.

At what point does all of that become too much to keep up with? Sometimes it is just the speed too. Who knows?

What I do know is that for the inline spinner I showed earlier- the Terminator- using a high speed reel did not work well with this lure at all. The first time I bought one of these Terminator snagless inline spinners I tied it onto a 7.2:1 reel and found out real fast that lure has its own speed to operate at and it is really slow. When I tied it onto my old Curado 3.8:1 B series reel it was like a match made in heaven between that reel speed and the lure speed. I am sure if I could trim down the size the spinner blade I might be able to gain a little more speed out of it.

As for your spinning issue on custom inline spinners- experiment, experiment, experiment. Trial and error will tell you what you need to know.

Post some photos when you have some made up.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

FATFLATTIE

I use a Clevis  (u shaped piece that the blade fits on) on all mine that I make. I haven't tried not using a clevis so I don't know how that would work. I feel as though it would force the blade out too hard and not wanna spin right unless you get a blade made to that exact application. I have also found that a Colorado blade or turtle back blade (like the one posted in the pick on the terminator) or an indiana blade work best. I've tried willow blades and they haven't worked for me. As suggested earlier they work better and tire you out less using a slower ratio, I prefer a 6:1. I just make up the spinner part add a split ring and a Nutech jig (3/8 99% of the time) and get to catching em! :) hope this helps some.
Life's short, fish hard.

Bassun67

FloridaFishinFool

Thank you very much for your post. It's my first time to post images so hope it works.

The pic with red beads is what I am trying to DIY recently. I have not added blade because I am trying to find an alternative for the "Clevis" (I learned a new word today! great!) , and because I do not have one and did not know where to buy this stuff (Hey! I know it's "clevis" so I can try where to find). Thanks. FATFLATTIE

In the pic you can see I have a another hook with weight and blade in silver color I bought about 1yr ago. I have not used it because I used chatterbait 80% of the time. As you can see there is no clevis on it. It's a made in japan hook called "S-Blade hook". I could not find any video to see how it rolls.

The blade itself is not similar to the one I bought from "hildebrant". There is a hollow part in the center line. In the hole area, it's also different. Sorry I do not know how to describe so please see the picture. Anyway, I will try it this year. I try to DIY because I want to add red color on it. Bling bling!

Back to the topic. I love using chatterbait because the vibration tells me the info I need and I DEEPLY addict to it. As long as the hook got weed, it stops vibrating and I know to pull it back. Once I got a fish bite, it stops vibrating. The feeling of "emptiness" hooks me to use chatterbait most of the time. And that's why I would like to know whether inline spinner has similar vibration for me to enjoy. If there is no vibration, I think the characteristics of inline spinner is more like spinnerbait. Am I right? 

Exactly speaking, I started bass fishing since June, 2014. There are so many things I'm learning and would like test. I would like to test the size, shape of blade and weight for inline spinner. I also would like to test the vibration of chatterbait if I bend the blade with a certain angle. I just read an article yesterday regarding this modification.

I TRIED TO USE MACBOOK (USING GOOGLE CHROME) TO SUBMIT THE POST BUT IT SIMPLY FAILED. THE IMAGE IS 56 KB ONLY BUT THE SERVER JUST DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO ATTACH IMAGES. HOWEVER, "TAPATALK" WORKS. GREAT!

:-)

從我的iPad使用Tapatalk 發送

sillybass

KaRu vibrashock.  I wont have anything Zjunk in my boat.  ~rant

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bassun67 on March 01, 2017, 08:10:36 AM
FloridaFishinFool

Thank you very much for your post. It's my first time to post images so hope it works.

The pic with red beads is what I am trying to DIY recently. I have not added blade because I am trying to find an alternative for the "Clevis" (I learned a new word today! great!) , and because I do not have one and did not know where to buy this stuff (Hey! I know it's "clevis" so I can try where to find). Thanks. FATFLATTIE

In the pic you can see I have a another hook with weight and blade in silver color I bought about 1yr ago. I have not used it because I used chatterbait 80% of the time. As you can see there is no clevis on it. It's a made in japan hook called "S-Blade hook". I could not find any video to see how it rolls.

The blade itself is not similar to the one I bought from "hildebrant". There is a hollow part in the center line. In the hole area, it's also different. Sorry I do not know how to describe so please see the picture. Anyway, I will try it this year. I try to DIY because I want to add red color on it. Bling bling!

Back to the topic. I love using chatterbait because the vibration tells me the info I need and I DEEPLY addict to it. As long as the hook got weed, it stops vibrating and I know to pull it back. Once I got a fish bite, it stops vibrating. The feeling of "emptiness" hooks me to use chatterbait most of the time. And that's why I would like to know whether inline spinner has similar vibration for me to enjoy. If there is no vibration, I think the characteristics of inline spinner is more like spinnerbait. Am I right? 

Exactly speaking, I started bass fishing since June, 2014. There are so many things I'm learning and would like test. I would like to test the size, shape of blade and weight for inline spinner. I also would like to test the vibration of chatterbait if I bend the blade with a certain angle. I just read an article yesterday regarding this modification.

I TRIED TO USE MACBOOK (USING GOOGLE CHROME) TO SUBMIT THE POST BUT IT SIMPLY FAILED. THE IMAGE IS 56 KB ONLY BUT THE SERVER JUST DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO ATTACH IMAGES. HOWEVER, "TAPATALK" WORKS. GREAT!

:-)

從我的iPad使用Tapatalk 發送

Tapatalk does work great, but in case it ever goes down and you want to post a pic you can do it from your Macbook. You just have to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket or Shutterfly. I personally use Photobucket. If you would like details send me or any other staff member a PM and we will be glad to get you the information.  :)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bass 24 7

kadas

Quote from: West6550 on February 28, 2017, 02:28:29 PM

^This. Fogy is a good color as well.
This also--have had pretty good results with Siebert chatterbaits--good hard vibration from them

cojab

Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciated.
TTK has spoken.

Team KaRu

I'm still a go-to VibraShock guy.  Fogy green.
PB: 10.3 lbs - Lake Fork

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Team KaRu on September 16, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
I'm still a go-to VibraShock guy.  Fogy green.

Don't want to get  ~off~ or hijack the thread but I was just wondering if you have any kin up here in the northeast? I had an uncle by marriage with the last name Albrecht who said he had lots of family down south. Just curious. That whole six degrees of separation thing.  :)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Team KaRu

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 16, 2017, 05:44:02 PM
Don't want to get  ~off~ or hijack the thread but I was just wondering if you have any kin up here in the northeast? I had an uncle by marriage with the last name Albrecht who said he had lots of family down south. Just curious. That whole six degrees of separation thing.  :)
I actually just moved to the Canton, GA (Northern Atlanta suburbs) about 2 years ago. I used to reside in the Chicago suburbs (St. Charles). Very common German name.  ALDI's grocery chain is Albrecht Dist.
Now I wish I was related to that Family!
PB: 10.3 lbs - Lake Fork

leadfreebassjigs.com

I make my owe that are Leadfree with a Gamakatsu hook.