DIY Spool for Tatula CT

Started by SFL BassHunter, February 16, 2017, 08:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFL BassHunter

A few weeks ago I ordered my Ray's Studio Tatula CT Microcast Spool.
Of course it was Chinese New Year and they don't work so it took about an extra week to get shipped.

I got home today and found the box waiting for me.
The spool is much more shallow than the stock CT Spool. Both have line and there is quite the difference in weight. Right off the bat you you can tell the quality of the build isn't amazing. Some plastic parts where the inductor is. There have been reports of some models having issues with the inductor coming loose. Hope I don't run into any issues.

They sent me a tiny crank with it too. I guess they feel pretty confident in the spools ability to cast a baby crank.
So I spooled up with 40 lb max cuatro which is 8lb mono diameter and ill test it tomorrow if possible. No idea how far my cast will go or how much line I'll let out. If I hit the small amount of backing I put on it I may need to go with thinner line.
We shall see.

I'm excited to give this a try tomorrow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Looking good. You are slowly coming into the Daiwa tuning fun. Even if you are doing it the cheap way. Lol

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on February 16, 2017, 08:46:43 PM
Looking good. You are slowly coming into the Daiwa tuning fun. Even if you are doing it the cheap way. Lol

<")))>{

lol yeah I know you're against the cheap way but hey if it works out then that is all that matters. I wouldn't mind a stock CT or even a CT Type R spool but they aren't readily available.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

fishing addiction

I am thinking about getting this spool for my tatula ct. can't wait to hear how it work out for you.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: fishing addiction on February 17, 2017, 09:02:52 AM
I am thinking about getting this spool for my tatula ct. can't wait to hear how it work out for you.

I'll make sure to post tonight after I test it out.
Florida Bass Fishing

West6550

SFL BassHunter

Tested out the spool, it casts light stuff pretty darn far.
I didn't go ultra light but I was casting a 1/16oz bullet weight with a uvibe a long way. I will need to test it some more as it took me a while to get my brakes set up right. It is easier to backlash than the stock spool. At least for me it is. lol

Either way, I think I am going to enjoy using it. I never did cast far enough to unspool it. Though I did get close to my backing a couple times.
Florida Bass Fishing

West6550

Uvibes are decent to toss. Glad you are liking it.

LgMouthGambler

Good stuff Rick. Sounds like that thing is gonna work out just they way you were hoping.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

Always good when a plan comes together! ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

DinksAllDay

Quote from: rickdelprado on February 16, 2017, 09:40:22 PM
lol yeah I know you're against the cheap way but hey if it works out then that is all that matters. I wouldn't mind a stock CT or even a CT Type R spool but they aren't readily available.

Hi thanks for posting. New to the tatula CT myself.

Does this shallow spool work like an sv spool?

Also FYI I've had good results with daiwa themselves on getting parts.

I got the rep in CA contact from daiwa.com called them up for some spare parts. I also asked about how much the stock spool would cost (looking to bring several spools with me instead of several setups lol)

They said $21 and change plus S&H

I want a diy spool too but also would like a stock backup

Lipripper

Quote from: DinksAllDay on June 16, 2017, 06:02:24 PM

I got the rep in CA contact from daiwa.com called them up for some spare parts. I also asked about how much the stock spool would cost (looking to bring several spools with me instead of several setups lol)

I see this is your first post here so if you would when you have time please stop by here and introduce yourself to everyone.
Let Us Get To Know You

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: DinksAllDay on June 16, 2017, 06:02:24 PM

Hi DinksAllDay,
The CT DIY is actually a bit shallower than the SV spool for the Tatula SV. The SV certainly holds more line.
The DIY is probably a little lighter as well. It has "AIR" brakes but it is easier to backlash or overrun with this spool than the stock CT spool. Where as the Tatula SV is harder to backlash.

If a Daiwa spool costs 21 dollars plus S and H I would prefer the stock spool over the DIY unless you are trying to throw some really light stuff on really light line. I don't do enough of that so a stock spool would actually benefit me more. That tiny crank bait I took a picture of, cast really well on that DIY spool. Not so well on the stock.

I like the daiwas they are easy to swap spools on. I like having a spool with braid and one with mono when I go bank fishing. Easier to swap around if needed and not have to carry around 2 rods.
Florida Bass Fishing

DinksAllDay

Thanks for the info rickdelprado

I was thinking the same as you..have a braid spool ready to pop in. I was thinking of getting the diy as my backup spool..possibly replace having to carry a spinning reel.

I'm more of an after work backpacker and need to pack as light as possible..in fact I got one of those daiwa travel rods (ardito) which is awesome and looks great with the tatula CT

I prefer casting braid but fluoro/copoly has it's uses. Maybe one spool is a good thing..I tend to want to throw my entire tackle box at the fish until I get a pattern lol.

But yeah if you call your local rep (I called daiwa.com and found the CA rep) and tell them your reel model and part you're looking for they'll take your order over the phone.

I had to pay CA tax and Shipping and H was about 4.25 I believe? It's based on weight.

I bought the red brake dial and Zion drag star to upgrade my reel..and I dig the red dial

I also asked for the spool price and they told me $21 something..I was looking at the diy first but thinking I'll go with a second stock

DinksAllDay

Oh and there's another diy spool..a long cast spool? Would that be a cheaper sv alternative?

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: DinksAllDay on June 27, 2017, 03:37:53 AM
Oh and there's another diy spool..a long cast spool? Would that be a cheaper sv alternative?
Yeah when I got my micro cast spool the long cast didn't exist. That one is new. I actually bought the long cast for my Tatula type r and it's basically like the sv spool. That one is comparable to the sv. I haven't used it yet so I don't know how it will perform.
But I can tell you if you can get the original spool cheaper than the diy then that may be the route to go.
I would have to test the long cast diy before I can tell you what's better. Maybe I'll put it to use this week.
Florida Bass Fishing

DinksAllDay

Cool deal

I was trying to get into skipping and saw that she spools are awesome at it

I'm going to scavenge this site to see other tatula CT info lol. It's my first quality reel..nothing wrong with my black Max and Lew's carbon fire but I can feel the difference in cast and solidness (if that's a word)

Also it's just a cool looking reel..it's like my fidget spinner at work..looking to keep upgrading it with parts

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: DinksAllDay on June 27, 2017, 06:01:16 PM
Cool deal

I was trying to get into skipping and saw that she spools are awesome at it

I'm going to scavenge this site to see other tatula CT info lol. It's my first quality reel..nothing wrong with my black Max and Lew's carbon fire but I can feel the difference in cast and solidness (if that's a word)

Also it's just a cool looking reel..it's like my fidget spinner at work..looking to keep upgrading it with parts

The difference you feel is because the Daiwa has a metal frame.