Do you want to catch bass?

Started by Wizard, February 17, 2017, 01:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

If you do, you need to read what bo and the very experienced anglers on UB  write in responding to posts. Not just read, but read AND understand.  Time on the water is the older angler's advantage and his library of knowledge resides in his brain. Lots of angler's have fished the elite tours but only a few names stand out and are remembered. KVD, Rick Clunn and  Roland Martin come easily to mind. Others like Denny Brauer, Guido Hibdon and Jimmy Houston are a little more distant in our minds. The rank and file professional angler is seldom, if ever, remembered. Some of the best anglers don't fish the elite tours but the second or third level tournaments. There are angler's who have won over a million dollars on the lower level tours and you have never heard of them. What do all these anglers have that sets them apart from everyone else n the sport? They have the best knowledge and CONCENTRATION. bo said this in his own words and style in the thread on hook sets. Bo detects ANY change in his line and sets the hook. He didn't see his line jump or move nor did he feel a typical bass bite. He detected a change in feeling of the line. He does this with the total CONCENTRATION with which he fishes. He knows how his line reacts on the rod because he concentrates on what is taking place on and in the water, how the bait feels moving through the water, it's vibration, how it feels on the bottom, over different structure and through cover. Mentally, he is always in tune with his rod, line and lure. 100% of the time the bait is in the water--he concentrates on what is happening. What do KVD, Clunn and Martin have in common with bo James, an angler on Table Rock Lake? They all have the utmost concentration on what they are doing. Gentlemen, fishing is a mental sport. Technique, knowledge, ability to find bass, all good angler's can do this but they don't have the ability to take the mental aspect of fishing to the next level. Think, concentrate, take your game to another level, what ever you want to call it--just do it. You will catch bass.

merc1997

very well stated about concentration and knowing what should be happening with the particular lure you are fishing at all times.  i love when you get that nice tick to let you know you got a bite, but that not the norm.  most often there is just that subtle difference that happened and when you do not act instantly the opportunity is quickly gone.

i think this is why so many prefer to use moving baits or soft plastics.  you often get more of a feed back of a bite, and with soft plastics, bass tend to hold them for a length of time before expelling them.  a lot of bassers will tell you that they feel every tick they get, which they probably do, but what about all the times there is no tick, line movement, or anything that stands out.  that one aspect is where most fisherman can improve their catching, being able to detect the no-bite.

bed fishing should be a great teacher in a bass' ability to take in a lure and you are watching it happen  but never feel a thing or see your line move or twitch.  anytime ANYTHING happens differently than it should or has been set the hook.  hook sets are free and most bites are a very fleeting occurrence of time.

bo

On Heaven's Lake

caddyjoe77

This can be hard to do, but not impossible.  I am definitely working on this. 

Great reminder, from two of the masters.  Thanks Wiz and Bo!
BeerMe

Smallie_Stalker

Thank you Wizard and Bo.   ~c~  I truly appreciate all the knowledge you share with us and I know I have personally learned a lot from reading your posts so keep 'em coming.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

flowerjohn

Bo knows fishin!

This message sent via the FC network.

zippyduck

Just more knowledge from some of the many veteran fishermen on this site. I have learned so much from this family that would take a lifetime to learn on my own.

Thank you GENTLEMEN
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Trap2016

Years ago I had the good fortune to fish with a pro for one season as his amateur partner that he had to have to fish it. When we went and practiced, the thing that notices made him good was that he could tell when he had a fish on when most of us would not know the fish picked the bait up. He couldn't cast all that well but he knew he had a fish on, unreal!!!   So I know what you are talking about.   
Marshall

analfisherman

Well, I fish a lot.
I spend a TON of Time 'learning' how to improve my skills.
My concentration when doing so is EXTREME!

I switch baits even when they are working......just to find out 'why' they are working....color, action, depth, fall rate, etc., etc.

But, I'm the first to admit..........concentration just maybe be a double edge sword for me?

I spend a lot of time 'concentrating' on what gifts my maker has given me to enjoy when I'm fishing.
Meaning, I often find myself paying as much attention (concentrating on) to the eagle across the river catching a fish, flying up in a tree and eating it, or the Doe bringing her fawns down to the edge of the pond to drink or the Beaver dragging a branch to it's hut to improve it or the Raccoon gnawing on a dead Carp next to the shore or a Gull trying to pick up a dead fish TWICE it's size and trying to fly away with it...........OR THE BOAT LOAD of BIKINI Clad GIRLS that just went by..........ya, my concentration CERTAINLY CAN STAND SOME IMPROVING!    :shocking: ;) ;D

But I continue to keep tossing/casting baits while doing so.........I guess I'm concentrating at all times when fishing.......so 'concentration' may not be my challenge........LACK of FOCUS is probably more accurate.   ~roflmao ~roflmao 
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Wizard

Anal, your one of the anglers whose posts I enjoy reading. A lot of truth, an occasional  sarcasm and a lot of laughter. On this topic, people think they are concentrating but in actuality, are not. I have two levels of fishing. One is pure enjoyment in which, like yourself, I'm enjoying nature, a bird's song, the breeze and fishing is really second on my bucket list for the day. On practice days I'm ramping up my concentration  for the tournament. Tournament days, I am locked in on my rod, line and lure. It is hard to ask me a question or me answer because I simply didn't hear it. I can be that locked in to my fishing. Tournament fishing is about making money. A trophy, plaque or handshake are nice but just give me my check.

analfisherman

Wiz I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!!!!!

I no longer competitively fish......well there's always a 'side bet' going on if I'm not fishing alone.......but ya, it was a WHOLE DIFFERENT GAME when I fished Tournies.

I thank you for the compliment, it means a LOT to me!
But I'm sure you've seen the signs at the Zoo, "Don't feed the animals!"
Well next time read the fine print,  don't encourage the DUMBA$$ either......he's an ANIMAL TOO!!!......Just because he/it jumped over the fence.......doesn't make it/him any less of an ANIMAL!!!!!         ;)

Thanks again,
Joe
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Donald Garner

Wiz, tks for putting this together.  I read just about every article here that talks catching etc.  I've learned a lot from reading the articles here on UB.  Like some here I too have had the opportunity to share the boat with fellow UB'ers on occasion.  I've even called them and text'd them about stuff.  They always took the time to share their knowledge with me. 

I don't fish tournaments anymore either.   I'm going to borrow a sentence or two from analfishermen to finish up.

'My concentration CERTAINLY CAN STAND SOME IMPROVING!   I continue to keep tossing/casting baits while doing so.........I guess I'm concentrating at all times when fishing.......so 'concentration' may not be my challenge........LACK of FOCUS is probably more accurate'.

What Joe said is me also  ~shade   I have fun every I hit the water applying things I've learned from reading UltimateBass. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

caddyjoe77

I have some questions: 

So, when you are focusing/Concentrating, what are you focusing/concentrating on?  Are you trying to "be the bait"? 

I know I can sometimes get into that mode, but a lot of times I feel like I cant stay there, if that makes sense?  I catch myself just "chucking and Winding".  How do you all keep in that mindset where you are that focused?   

Also, sometimes, when I do put something together I think to myself after I catch a fish or two....."What specifically was I doing to make that bite happen"?  And, I cant remember....
BeerMe

Wizard

Your answer will appear in the near future, Joe.