Trailer license plates

Started by Oldfart9999, February 20, 2017, 08:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

How many of you have lost a license plate because the stupid thing broke from being bent back and forth, PITA!!
2 answers;
1. buy one of those guide ons that move the plate high enough to not hit the water.
2. this is what I do, take 2 pieces of 1 inch aluminum strap and clamp them on each side at the top of the plate, drill 2 holes and bolt the "sandwich" together, drill 2 more holes use those big slip rings like keys are hung on to go through the holes and the mount on the trailer. Doing this allows the plate to swing freely instead of bend, the plate lasts.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FloridaFishinFool

My county government offered me a choice of tags, a regular sized car tag or a motorcycle sized tag. I chose the smaller motorcycle tag because of the problem you noted above.

I was able to bolt the smaller tag directly to the trailer frame and have no problems and no way of losing it!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Oldfart9999

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on February 20, 2017, 08:22:58 AM
My county government offered me a choice of tags, a regular sized car tag or a motorcycle sized tag. I chose the smaller motorcycle tag because of the problem you noted above.

I was able to bolt the smaller tag directly to the trailer frame and have no problems and no way of losing it!
Good idea if you are able. ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Great tip! I currently need a new plate because of this  ~b~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

Dang, thanks for the reminder.  My trailer plate got all bent up a number of years ago so I took it off and put it in a safe place since plates are not required in South Carolina.  The problem is I don't remember where the safe place is.. All I know is that it is some place really good in the garage.

Now my next rant would be....what were they thinking when the trailer plate location was selected.  Or what the heck that it was a good idea to put a full size plate on a bass boat trailer.  Just does not make sense.  Oh well gotta take my registration to DMV and get another plate one of these days unless some miracle happens that I can find the old one.  Trailer plates in SC are Permanent and never get updated so I bet it is a common problem to get replacements.

Polaris425

Luckily in Alabama they do not require them.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 20, 2017, 09:56:39 AM
Dang, thanks for the reminder.  My trailer plate got all bent up a number of years ago so I took it off and put it in a safe place since plates are not required in South Carolina.  The problem is I don't remember where the safe place is.. All I know is that it is some place really good in the garage.

Bud, if you remember where that place is will you check and see if there is a belt in there with a B.A.S.S. Life Member buckle on it? I put it someplace safe back in 2003 and never found it.   ::) ~shade
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 20, 2017, 03:47:27 PM
Bud, if you remember where that place is will you check and see if there is a belt in there with a B.A.S.S. Life Member buckle on it? I put it someplace safe back in 2003 and never found it.   ::) ~shade
Smallie he found the plate but sorry there wasn't any belt with a B.A.S.S. Life Member buckle on it lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

boydn1

I just put mine on with zip ties, leave it a little loose and replace every couple of months

Va_Hawghunter

Quote from: boydn1 on March 01, 2017, 12:07:33 PM
I just put mine on with zip ties, leave it a little loose and replace every couple of months
X2 on that, that way it will swing a little when coming out of the water and not bend up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing like time on the water.

West6550

Quote from: boydn1 on March 01, 2017, 12:07:33 PM
Same. I do two just in case. Then check them.

tooboocoo

I stole one of my wife's nylon cutting boards, cut it to match, and siliconed the plate to it. Ran the bolts thru both and bolted it back on the trailer.  I wouldn't dare break, rot, or warp now.

Bud Kennedy

I actually repositioned my plate and drilled a couple of new holes in the plate so it would not hang below the trailer frame.  Although the upper part of the plate is a bit high it is clear of the boat by about 12" so no problem.  This is the same thing I did with my last boat.  The only problem would be if I would miss the trailer bunks when loading the boat.  If that happens then it will be bent a bit but was not a problem on my last trailer. 

loaded44

I bolted my plate to a thick piece of rubber and then bolted the rubber to the trailer. It can flap back and forth. It's worked for two years.

SteveTX

Great thread I had to replace a bolt and straighten mine out the other day. Its one of those that hang way below everything.  :(

I will sure look at using some of these great tips.  ;D

Bud Kennedy

In SC we don't require plates but I have one on my trailer.  I have always wondered that given the locations provided for plates on a boat trailer. I think States should give some thought to reduce the size of the trailer plate to something the size that is used on motorcycles.  It would fit a bit better and not be subject to bending or damage as they are now.  This way they could also be in the correct location for the license plate light.  Just Wondering.

Kris

My aluminum boat trailer has an old set of bow guides with the taillights mounted high.  I just took one of those cheap plastic license plate mounts and stuck it under the new LED taillights I put on it.  I did bend the corner of the plate closest to the bow guide so it wouldn't scratch it up as bad.  Seems to work ok and a great way for me to know when the boat is ready to slide off.  Water up to the bottom of the taillight is perfect.
Maryland requires license plates on all trailers and both ends of the car.  They don't mind if you lose your plate because they will gladly sell you a new one at MVA.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Nutt

I used two over sized key rings to mount mine.  It swings free and I don't have to worry about the key rings breaking with age.  Works great.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

loaded44

Quote from: Nutt on August 15, 2017, 07:49:56 AM
I used two over sized key rings to mount mine.  It swings free and I don't have to worry about the key rings breaking with age.  Works great.
Great idea!