Problems with trailer hitch working

Started by Oldfart9999, February 20, 2017, 08:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

I'm not talking about a hitch being hard to use because of rust. Yep, rust, we can't see up where the ball attaches to the hitch and rust can build up in there making it hard to close or open the hitch, there is an easy cure. Each time you check your lights or tires, you should be doing this regularly,  take a spray grease, not WD-40, a grease and spray it up in there, it keeps it lubed and eliminates the  ~xyz ^-^ ~rant that sometimes appears out of nowhere when the stupid thing delays our trip to the water.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

My father puts regular ole grease on everything but it causes jeans with grease marks all over the shins from transfer.

I have some lithium spray grease, wonder if it would be effective?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

analfisherman

Mike, give a can of Silicone Spray a shot.
It's cheap, not messy, lubes and protects from rust and easy to apply, can pick up at any hardware store...I give the trailer ball a shot too.....and if you forgot to treat your line on the fishing reel.........give it a spray with the Silicone.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Mike Cork

I've got that too, I'll give it a shot.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 20, 2017, 08:36:24 AM
My father puts regular ole grease on everything but it causes jeans with grease marks all over the shins from transfer.

Will work well, I use what I can find now because I haven't been able to find Lithium, I do wipe it up with paper towels, hate greasy jeans and shins. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Donald Garner

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Thornback

Thanks for the tip. I never thought about spraying lubrication into the cup of the hitch but it makes sense. I do from time to time clean off my hitch ball with paper towels and WD-40 and then put a thin layer of grease on it.

Polaris425

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 20, 2017, 08:36:24 AM

That's what I use. White lithium spray. But some brands (like wrench or whatever it is) make a big mess. I can't remember what brand I had that I liked but I think it was Autozone's brand. It went on more like a liquid spray but then dried to a thick white grease, instead of like the wrench brand it just comes out 100 miles an hour thick white goop.

I spray it on everything. Hitch, Hinges on the  trailer tongue, garage door hinges and wheels, etc...
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

ohio archer

Don't neglect to look at the main frame.  My hitch had been on my truck since it was built ('03 GMC Sierra).  Went in to have the hitch changed due to buying a new boat.  Mechanic put his foot on the upper side to get some leverage and a whole 10" section broke off.  The tabs were rusted thru as well.  Just couldn't tell by looking at it.  Not sure how the thing was towing a boat.  Glad it didn't break on the road.    ~sweat ~sweat ~sweat

Nutt

I clean and lube my ball and hitch pretty often with silicone spray that I get from work.  I was just wondering the other day about how many years everyone gets out of their ball.  Thinking about changing mine out to a new one.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

big g

Quote from: analfisherman on February 20, 2017, 08:48:09 AM
Mike, give a can of Silicone Spray a shot.
It's cheap, not messy, lubes and protects from rust and easy to apply, can pick up at any hardware store...I give the trailer ball a shot too.....and if you forgot to treat your line on the fishing reel.........give it a spray with the Silicone.

I too spray my line with Silicone spray.  Works great, and a lot cheaper then commercial line spray.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.