Interesting thing happened today

Started by Kris, February 20, 2017, 05:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

I finally got a second warm day to go play and had a problem with my Daiwa 3000 SPINNING reeel.  First bite for 2017 in MD and it acted like it was in free spool but the switch was in one way.  Damn I was pissed but controlled my temper being my first for the year  Really strange thing was the fish bit like a fish gumming it to death.  When I set the hook it was free spool city.  Sol I missed my first bite for 2017.
I am ASSUMING that someone had changed the lubricant to a thicker grease.  The reason I think that is that the bail only works correctly on the second cast.  On the first you have to manually close the baile.  I am thinking that I need to clean it and use some thinner reel oil/frease on this bad boy.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Lipripper

I bet you felt like  ^-^ ~xyz ~rant since it was ypor first of the year, Hope you have better luck on your next trip out.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

DocIrv

Get it serviced. I recommend you always close the bail manually if you want to have less tangles. But that is just me...
UB members get a 20% discount. Use the coupon code UB20 during check out. If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
*But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I ret

Lipripper

Quote from: DocIrv on February 20, 2017, 05:20:42 PM
Get it serviced. I recommend you always close the bail manually if you want to have less tangles. But that is just me...
Most of the time I close mine manually also. I think it extends the life of the reel but that's just my opinion. ;D

analfisherman

I'm guessing...from experience......I think it maybe your Bail Pivot Screw.
Had more than one spinning reel do the EXACT same thing and EVERY time I had to replace the Bail Pivot Screw.

Sometimes it would work correctly and sometimes it would free spool...no idea why it's intermittent?

Mike or LMG or one of the many reel pros around here can tell you the 'whys' and 'hows' of what the screw does.......but I think I maybe right on this one.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Kris

I am going to be working a lot this week.  So I will get it apart sometime next week some time.  I figure a good cleaning and lube might help stop this problem.  I guess i will have to see where I can get a ball pivot screw for it.  Guess I know why I got it used for $15 with two spools of fresh braid and mono on them
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Lipripper

Kris for $15 that's not bad with just a little TLC you should be able to get it back in shape.

cortman

Best wishes with the teardown. I haven't had a good experience yet tearing down and putting a spinning reel back together. Baitcasters are fine for me but spinning gear is just a good bit more complex.
Hope you can get it working again!

LgMouthGambler

You may want to consult with Mike Cork, I know nothing about spinning reels.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

Daiwa had a lot of reels in the 3000 model. Do you have anymore info on which model?

Old or thick grease can be an issue especially if it has instant anti revers and it was greased. It really should be clean and have a light film of oil (not grease).

You should know right away if it's been over greased. As soon as you take the side plate off if there is a ton of grease on the gears, then it's probably over greased at the anti revers as well.

There are several reason that a bail won't trip back. Everything from a bad spring to a worn tripper.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service