Hey Linux Guys

Started by Pferox, February 22, 2017, 06:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pferox

I'm looking at having an old build that I wanted to use for dabbling in Linux, and using for data recovery for a bunch of old hard drives I have acquired.

Now, I'm a hardware guy more than a software guy so need it to be pretty brainless to install off of a thumb drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

FloridaFishinFool

The easiest linux operating system I have used is Fedora 25 the newest version. It loaded right up and searched out all the laptop hardware and had everything working right from the install.

I tried the free download version but I could not get it to load up. So I just bought a DVD copy of it from off ebay for about $5.00 and it worked like a charm.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

cortman

Any of the Ubuntu variants; 90% of my posting here is done from a Lubuntu 16.04 virtual machine. It's super easy to install. Xubuntu will be a bit more polished and have more capable programs but will still be fairly light.
LiLi (Linux Live USB creator) is a Windows program that makes burning Linux ISO images to flash drives super easy, highly recommend it.

caddyjoe77

ubuntu, but IMO XFCE is about the best graphical intercase...besides fluxbox, which is based off xfce

if you want xfce, plus some stuff that makes for a nice environment:
at the prompt $

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

BeerMe