What is the most embarrassing moment you have had while fishing?

Started by analfisherman, February 25, 2017, 10:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

YA, GOT WARM FOR 5 DAYS and now back in the 20s.......so I'm back in the CABIN with even a WORSE FEVER!  ;D lo

So help me get through ANOTHER MONTH.......or I'll find a question that takes a couple of PARAGRAPHS to ask.  8) ~shade :)

Sooooooooo.......
What is the most embarrassing moment you have had while fishing?
And you don't even have to give me the 'WHYS'........guessing I'll be able to figure it out on my own.  lo
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

zippyduck

Had a sudden realization that I needed a bathroom now. grabbed  the TP and headed for nearest shore.  Jumped out of the boat got to a tree and almost got drawers down but was 2 seconds too late. Cleaned up as best I could and waddled out of the woods just as a group of kayakers passed by who apparently saw the whole thing.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

tooboocoo

I was casting toward a dock while the home owners were having some kind of large family get together. Just as I made a cast, a duck got up and flew directly under my cast.  My line got wrapped up in its wings and well, let's just say I didn't win us any fans that day.   ~sweat

analfisherman

~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

NINE MINUTES IN THE SURVEY.............AND I THINK WE ALREADY GOT A WINNER!!!!!!!  ~c~

My hat's OFF...Zippy!  ~c~

cojab

Went on a long weekend fly fishing trip with some guys from the firehouse on the Arkansas River. We were camping out on private property that was owned by a family my Chief knew and he had gotten permission for us.

Woke up one morning and walked down river a ways to take care of my morning business. Finished up and turned to walk back to camp and immediately hear a female voice saying hello. I'm thinking WTH. I'm out camping and fishing with the boys and I still can't have a little privacy in the morning!

Turned around and there stood a lady game officer. I went from a little mad to embarrassed as hell cause I realized there was absolutely no way she hadn't seen me stinking the creek bank up.
She told me she had driven down the road and saw our camp and knew we were on private property so she was checking up on us. She was obviously sneaking up on us thinking she was going to catch some trespassers.
I led her back to our camp and after talking to us and checking licenses she left.

I hope she took a different route back to her truck! ;D
TTK has spoken.

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

coldfront

Kris

This is also one of those NOW stories.  A Friend and I were getting a little practice in before an upcoming tournament.  We were tidal fishing in my Gambler when my insides started growling loudly.  There is no place where you can get off on the shore and take care of business.  We stopped fishing, up on plane and mad dash for a local Park where I knew they had facilities.  Down off plane before the 6 mph sign when this jetski goes flying across my bow from behind a high rock jetty.  If I was going any faster I would have hit him or he would hit me.  I put the boat in reverse to make sure I didn't hit the idiot.
Next thing I see is flashing blue lights headed toward me and can't figure out why he's coming after me.  I'm wanting to unload on this Baltimore County Marine Police Officer but there are other pressing matters that need attention right now.  So I slowed down a little and said a prayer that I made it to the facilities before eruption.  Police boat pulls up and Officer says, "are you alright?"  I responded yes and he said he would be right back.  I told him I needed to use the facilities and would be over there.  He went after the jetskier and I am sure he got a stern warning or a ticket.
I made it to the facilities and let's just say it took an extended period of time.  After the Officer got done with the jetskier he came over and talked with my fishing partner.  As I walked up to my boat the Officer says. "Everything alright".   He thanked me for paying attention and not hitting the jetskier.  Partner had told the Officer the whole story.  I was a bit embarrassed but thankful it turned out the way it did.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

FISH520

Was out bank fishing one day and the spot I was at had no action. So time to switch spots. Grab my gear and head for the car. Right at that moment its starts raining. Pull to the next spot and a guy and his son are walking by. The man says "hey be careful its slippery". Hey thanks sir I'll be careful. Head to the new spot and start my way done to the water. Damn it that guy was right. On my ass I go sliding to the water. I jam my rod into the ground and that was the only thing that stopped me (thank god it was an Ugly Stick). So my day was done. Grab my gear and head to the car. Just my luck the man and his son are there still. I look at him as I'm covered in mud and I say "don't say a word to me". He smiles and says  have a nice day.

Bud Kennedy

A number of years ago I liked to spend time pier fishing at Myrtle Beach State Park.  It seems that during this time, I had lost quite a bit of weight and my clothes were a bit too big for my now smaller body.  One day while at the pier, a pop up storm appeared on the horizon over the ocean.  I packed up my stuff and headed back to the building at the shore end of the pier. The storm was really getting close by this time and and the wind started to blow so I decided to make a run for it.  Unfortunately my very loose fitting shorts were not up to the task and started to fall down.  I tried to hold them up but with all the stuff I was carrying that was not possible.  The wind blew my hat off and as I grabbed for the hat my shorts fell down around my ankles exposing my tidy whities to the world.  By the way they become a bit transparent when the get wet.  As I stopped to pull up my shorts I noticed quite a crowd looking out of the windows of the building and getting a good laugh out of my predicament.  Being totally embarrassed I just walked through the building and directly to my truck while listening to all of the cat calls from the gathered crowd.

Wizard

We were summer night fishing in the back of a small cove. As morning approached we smelled coffee coming from a house on the water. As we looked up, a pretty 20ish redhead walked onto her deck with a cup of coffee and no clothes. She looked down and saw us looking up. She smiled, gave a small wave and walked gracefully back into the house. WE weren't embarrassed until she later walked from the house (clothes on) and brought us each a cup of coffee.

Thornback

Maybe not the most embarrassing but still embarrassing. Me and a fishing buddy launched my Bass Tracker and when I tried to start the motor it just cranked but would not fire up. So I'm thinking I will have to put the thing in the shop. I move up front to use the trolling motor when I see my buddy studying the kill switch. He flips the kill switch and says, "Now try it." I did and the motor fired right up. He laughed as I turned red.

analfisherman

Zippy, tooboocoo, cojab, Kris, FISH520, Bud, Wizard, Mr. Thornback............

YOU ANGLERS HAVE FLAT OUT MADE MY MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!   lo ~c~

big g

I have told this story before.  Embarrasing moments always have something to do with bathroom breaks!  A backseater in my boat had to take an emergency dump, so I got a big plastic bag and the roll oftoilet paper.  I put the bag in the empty live well, and he sat down to do his business.  He was in full view of the cars on Alligator Alley, with no place to hide.  About every other car beeped as it went bye, and he waved to every one of them.  When your over 60, a sudden call from mother nature is one you sometimes must answer immediately. We laughed for months over that one.lo lo lo
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Lipripper

Some funny stories for sure  ~roflmao ~roflmao Anal come on now you started this and I'm sure you have a few of yours you could share  lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

analfisherman

Smallie_Stalker

I have more than a few embarrassing fishing stories, including some of the need to go NOW type, but I still take some heat from my son over a story I shared here before but will tell it again.

One day my son and I are fishing at our favorite pond. He was about 9 or 10 at the time. There were lots of other people at the pond that day and the fishing was slow. We moved down the bank from where we had been fishing, which was a little further from the area the majority of folks were fishing.

Anyways, I had tied on a jig and was dragging it through a small field of lily pads. as it cleared the outer edge which was about to go into a drop-off I paused for a second and when I started dragging again I felt some extra weight on the line and then the line went straight down the edge of the drop. I set the hook and started cranking. There was definite weight, and I start yelling to my son "I got one, I got one and it feels like a good one." At this point other people from down the bank come over to watch. Every time I lifted up on that fish it would pull back and my line would go straight down. Finally, I tightened my drag down and fought that monster in, all while these other people are waiting to see this "big one" I hooked.

I pulled her in and there she was in all her glory, an orange belt like the EMT's use to strap a person to a stretcher with the name of the ambulance company on it.  :embarassed: The worst part of it all is, I swear to this day that belt was fighting back.  :o

Got a lot of laughs from some folks, and a couple of wise-asses made their remarks. My son just shook his head. I don't know who was more embarrassed me or him.

That was 9 or 10 years ago but to this day when I razz my son for something he will still occasionally say "Whatever, at least I didn't have a 10 minute fight with an orange safety belt".   lo
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

All I'll say is that I have forgotten the plug more than once over the years and same with the kill switch.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

ccr425

I was in a hurry to launch one morning and was by myself. Wasn't thinking clearly and undid the winch hook and proceeded to back the boat into the water after I answered my phone. Had to throw the phone down and swim to the back of the trailer to grab the trolling motor in order to pull the boat back up. Luckily the ramp was empty so no one witnessed that ordeal! ~b~

flowerjohn

Bank fishing with a buddy of mine some twenty five years ago in and around a bridge in the middle of a little town I stepped off the bank into what was a horrible muck. My left leg went on and with a bit of manoeuvring I was able to get squarely standing in what would best be referred to as some type of quicksand. I began to holler to my fishing buddy since I was completely powerless to free myself from this quag. Seeing how serious the situation was he hollered for some help and four of them managed to yank me out over the course of fifteen minutes or so. By then a concerned crowd had gathered and finally everyone was both relieved and amused as I was finally hauled out... minus my shoes, socks, pants and underwear. Naked as a jay bird from the waist down with kids and parents looking on. Yeah, never went back there!! I still get ribbed for that one. 

This message sent via the FC network.

twocold

So am I the only one? In a tournament with back seater good friend of mine, tripped going up to the front deck and over I went. Wet! when my buddy helped me get up we had a good laugh, always have a change of clothes on board, changed and we cashed a check

cortman

Was down in a swamp off of Lake Fork back when I was young, dumb and didn't bass fish. Me and three buddies had two canoes and we'd been camping and catfishing and bow fishing. Paddling back to the trucks across the swamp my buddy and I had the great idea to soak the other guys with our paddles. So we get up alongside, dig both paddles in the water and heave up at them. Of course all we wound up doing was turning over our own canoe. Luckily the water was only 6' deep or so there but we still lost a bow. Never felt so stupid in my life lol. Of course the other guys would never let up about it.

fishandkamp

twocold    No you are not the only one to go in the water. I was in a club tournament on the Potomac years ago.  My partner and I had a pretty good day, but with 30 minutes to go he asked to go hit a community hole- a well known military dock that was on our way. It was just minutes from the  weigh in site.  We pull up and no one is there. The conditions are good, we have a pretty good tide running out, so moving current. We pull up to the down current sideand start casting up to the pilings. He snags up, we get it off . Minutes later he snags up again and we get it loose. My turn, I snag up and I use the trolling motor to get a bit closer. I then lean out, and with one hand I am holding on the pier and the other I have the rod working the bait loose. Yep!!!  The boat get hit by a wave and the boat slips back away from the pier. Yep! My partner said I looked like the Lipton Ice Tea commercial as I did a slow motion face first belly flop off the front deck.  :o  He was laughing so hard he could not help me back in. I owned a big high sided ProCraft 20 foot fish and ski. I had to swim back to the engine and use the boarding ladder as he laughed his butt off!!!   To make matters worse, if you remember, we stopped there just 30 minutes before weigh in. Of course, now the rest of my club was rolling in, just in time to get their laughs too.  The final insult came several months, later as his wife added a pair of swimmies to the annual fishing club awards. Yep!! I got those too.  I could not wait till the finish of the next season when I got to pass them on to another deserving "award winner". And guess who was on the back of that boat? Yup the same "helpful" sole I had on my boat when I went in!  He got to witness it happen 3 times in 4 years.  The worst part of the "swimmies award" was they came with instructions to have them visible on your boat at all times during a tournament, in case someone went in! That meant you got ribbed every tournament as someone just had to remind you to get you swimmies ready! ~roflmao

Kris

Well, my in the water story is not during a tournament.  A Friend asked me to go with he and his boys to fish the upper Potomac.  We rented two canoes from the Little Orleans Grocery, commonly known in the area as Bill's Beer, Bait and Boats.  Bill ran us up a back road to Holt's Landing I believe it was called.  We floated back down the river with no problems back to Bill's place.  I did catch two smallmouths on the way back and I was feeling really good about the trip.  We pulled into the launch ramp to shallow water and evidently my Buddy and I must have moved the same way at the same time and both ended up in the water.  Everyone around got a laugh, including us.  Definitely more embarrassed than hurt.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat