Topwater Rod?

Started by Bretts_daddy, March 02, 2017, 09:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

If you're looking to fish mostly treble-hook topwater baits like the Whopper Plopper 130, MS Mini Slammer, BBZ 1 Rat etc. is it better to have a shorter rod like say a 6'6" or would a longer rod like a 7' - 7'6" be a better choice?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

Va_Hawghunter

I fish my WP 130 on a 7'6" MH, 20# mono, works good for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing like time on the water.

Mike Cork

There is a lot of personal preference in rod length, however generally you'll cast further and more accurately with a long rod. A longer rod will also give you better control over a hooked fish. The extra length is also helpful when battling a very large bass as the rod will help keep the hooks pinned better during jumps and surges.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bretts_daddy

So a shorter rod would come into play more for when you're fishing lures that require the "walk the dog" action?

SFL BassHunter

My Tatula 7'4" H Fast Frog Rod casts the 130 whopper plopper about a mile. It unspools my Lews Team Lite.

The 130 is a heavy lure. So make sure whatever rod you put it on can handle it.

Mind you, I use my 7'4" to walk a frog. No issues there.

The other question is are you going to be walking a bait on a boat or on the bank if you are going to walk a bait?
On the bank a 7'0"-7'2" I think is best.
I walk my baits but not the traditional way, because I twitch my rod to the side since I fish so much on the bank. To protect my rod from getting hit by rocks or stumps or whatever is on the bank. If I walked it the normal way which is twitching down I'd have a lot of broken rods. lol. So a 7'4" doesn't bother me.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: rickdelprado on March 02, 2017, 01:14:01 PM
The other question is are you going to be walking a bait on a boat or on the bank if you are going to walk a bait?

The answer is both! I would say honestly I'm about a 50/50 fisherman between boat and bank.

loomisguy

I would never buy a dedicated rod for the whopper plopper. Any Mh or H jig rod will work fine. I like something over 7ft.
Walking baits like a spook Jr.  or a Sammy are a different animal I like a shorter rod with mono.
My favorite is a old all star TWS , they are hard to come by, but the St. Croix jerkbait and top water rods both make good walking bait and popper rods.

Bretts_daddy

Could you use something like a 7ft. crankbait rod for the smaller topwaters like spooks, sammy's, poppers etc>?

loomisguy

Depending on the rod...yes

Bretts_daddy

How about an Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 Winch or a Powell Diesel cranking rod?

loomisguy

I don't own any Abu products and have never tried a veritas so I couldn't say.
The Powell works well with a spook ,repo man ect.  I've fished a buzzbait on it as well.
Also the Inferno 704cb makes a nice topwater/stickbait rod at a decent price.
It throws a wiggle wart pretty nicely but that's as small as I would go on it.

Bretts_daddy

so maybe a shorter rod for the smaller topwaters like the 6'6" Lightning Rod Shock at Wal-Mart on clearance for like $10 would work better?

loomisguy

Who knows? At some point you make a choice and go fishin. I wouldn't over think a topwater rod.
Like I said, my favorite spook rod is 30 years old. So whatever works for you is what you should fish.

analfisherman

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on March 03, 2017, 06:34:54 AM
so maybe a shorter rod for the smaller topwaters like the 6'6" Lightning Rod Shock at Wal-Mart on clearance for like $10 would work better?

YES!!!!

If you can get a $10 rod to see how you like the different lengths and a Lightning Rod...I'd jump ALL OVER IT!
You can always upgrade later once you know from 'usage' which one works best for you.
Heck, there are MANY Bassers who pay $20 for line.

Fact, I'd get TWO....a 6'6" and a 7' or longer.......heck, you may like BOTH lengths for fishing's different situations..........and I'll GUARANTEE you can sell it later even after use for $10....WIN,WIN in my eyes.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on March 03, 2017, 06:34:54 AM

I have never used the shock, but I do have a few regular Berkley lightning. They are good rods. Never had any issues with the blank, guides or components. The MH lightning I have works well with a large variety of lures. I used it for just about everything for about a year. From cranks, to trigs, to HB frog, to topwaters and even an A rig (though that probably wasn't smart, but it held up).

Like Anal says for 10 bucks what you got to lose? If you don't care for it too much you can replace it later on with something you prefer. If you do like it then bam you've got a rod for 10 bucks.
One thing with the Berkley rods is they aren't light. They are on the heavy side but if that doesn't bother you then no biggy.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing