It's on its way.

Started by lhcbassman, February 24, 2017, 09:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lhcbassman

So I had order my kayak since it was not in stock at my local shop. It can take up til March 3rd to get here so I've got time to accessorize. Is a fish finder a must have on a kayak or should I be able to do without? I've never owned a kayak or boat before so im not sure how it works on a kayak.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

give a man a fish he eats for a day. But you teach a man to fish and his wife wont see him again.

analfisherman

I have a finder......it has side imaging and multiple options including GPS.
Is it handy....yes.
Is it necessary....no.

Really depends on what type of waters you intend to fish.
Deep reservoirs, maybe finding/locating the bait fish maybe an asset??

What Kayak did you decide to get?

I TRULY recommend budgeting (saving money for future accessories)  and WAIT to you've been out a couple of times to see what YOU think would make your outings more enjoyable.

Some basics you don't need/want to wait for are things like Rod Leashes, if or not you intend to use a net....research to find one you can handle with one hand and COMPACT so not to take up a ton of space yet easy to get too.

Water proof tackle boxes, they have a water proof clamping so they are water tight....store car keys, phone as well as actual tackle, they also float.......many brands/options including Plano and Pelican.

The rest are options that are 'personal'.

Example, I have anchor trolleys on both sides of mine........I HAVE NEVER USED THEM IN 8 YEARS........AND I have a 'special' light weight anchor too.......that's never felt water on it.

Anchor Poles are great.......but again, you now need to but side clamps on the Kayak and you need to get a 8' or 10' for the waters you fish.

A one handed  paddle like the Assault Hand Paddle, are cheap and VERY handy...so you can avoid being hauled into trees and shore when your fighting a Bass.

If you have room behind the seat, a storage crate or box that has rod clamps to keep rods out of the way plus throw tackle bags and stuff into. 

Again it's better to get some time on the water to help you make better decisions plus you will meet people that will tell you what they have done.....and/or regretted doing.

Oh an inflatable PDF is GOD send.........can't tell you have them on and make casting and stuff real easy with no bulk.

Fish finder.............I'd probably wait for, remember, you need to mount it too and mounted in the wrong place IS A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!

Good luck and have fun.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

lhcbassman

Thanks for the advice I'll take it o
ut and see what I actually think is needed. A buddy of mine said he uses a portable fish finder and says it works well for just seeing if fish are in the area. any experience with any of those?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

give a man a fish he eats for a day. But you teach a man to fish and his wife wont see him again.

analfisherman

Some, but again there is a wide variety.
Any chance you know which one your friend uses?

Is the Transducer 'portable', meaning is it one of those that you can either cast it out or drop it into the water or is it a permanent attached transducer?

There actually some pretty good ones for like the $120 range...some even have GPS in that bracket......but again it's the transducer that is really the question.
Some have 'thru hull' transducers too....where the actual transducer doesn't actually even go in the water.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

lhcbassman

The transducer is one that you cast out or drop off. He said he paid like $50 on Amazon and it shows depth temp and fish ping

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mossive

Quote from: analfisherman on February 24, 2017, 10:07:44 AM
I have a finder......it has side imaging and multiple options including GPS.
Is it handy....yes.
Is it necessary....no.

Really depends on what type of waters you intend to fish.
Deep reservoirs, maybe finding/locating the bait fish maybe an asset??

What Kayak did you decide to get?

I TRULY recommend budgeting (saving money for future accessories)  and WAIT to you've been out a couple of times to see what YOU think would make your outings more enjoyable.

Some basics you don't need/want to wait for are things like Rod Leashes, if or not you intend to use a net....research to find one you can handle with one hand and COMPACT so not to take up a ton of space yet easy to get too.

Water proof tackle boxes, they have a water proof clamping so they are water tight....store car keys, phone as well as actual tackle, they also float.......many brands/options including Plano and Pelican.

The rest are options that are 'personal'.

Example, I have anchor trolleys on both sides of mine........I HAVE NEVER USED THEM IN 8 YEARS........AND I have a 'special' light weight anchor too.......that's never felt water on it.

Anchor Poles are great.......but again, you now need to but side clamps on the Kayak and you need to get a 8' or 10' for the waters you fish.

A one handed  paddle like the Assault Hand Paddle, are cheap and VERY handy...so you can avoid being hauled into trees and shore when your fighting a Bass.

If you have room behind the seat, a storage crate or box that has rod clamps to keep rods out of the way plus throw tackle bags and stuff into. 

Again it's better to get some time on the water to help you make better decisions plus you will meet people that will tell you what they have done.....and/or regretted doing.

Oh an inflatable PDF is GOD send.........can't tell you have them on and make casting and stuff real easy with no bulk.

Fish finder.............I'd probably wait for, remember, you need to mount it too and mounted in the wrong place IS A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!

Good luck and have fun.

Great advice! thank you for taking the time