Favorite fishing line?

Started by AbuGarcia, March 15, 2017, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbuGarcia

Just curious what everyone is using.

I've been using SpiderWire braid and mono on all of my rigs for the last 20 years. I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about Flurocarbon so I bought some for my Black Max this year.

What are the pros/cons of Flurocarbon compared to Mono or Braid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 ACTIVE  using Tapatalk

rockchalk06

Fluoro, I have been on and off the fence using Sunline FC Sniper. When I have the funds and its on sale, I choose Seaguar Tatsu.

90% of the time I use braid. I like Power Pro Original for heavy jigs, Power Pro Maxcuatro for frogging and pitching and Power Pro Slick 8 for lighter baits and open water. I also have a bunch of Daiwa J-Braid which is just as soft and supple as Slick 8. Kind of a toss up between the 2 because I am a Power Pro junkie.

Down4ttown

You rock a leader rock? No pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

I hate flouro. See no advantage to it. I use Seaguar Senshi mono and its all I need for nylon line. Strong, clear, very low stretch, and great sensitivity.

As for braid...Power Pro for heavy cover, and J Braid for more open water and finesse applications.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Down4ttown on March 15, 2017, 02:05:23 PM
You rock a leader rock? No pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never unless I am around tons of rock

Princeton_Man

Seaguar Tatsu, Power Pro SuperSlick on most of my baitcasters.

Seaguar Red Label on my spinning rigs.

I still use some Spiderwire Stealth on some lighter baitcaster rigs.

I was a big Spiderwire fan for many years. It's a great braid. I found that for my heavier braid rigs Power Pro casts a bit better and resists wear a little better.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: AbuGarcia on March 15, 2017, 01:51:42 PM
What are the pros/cons of Flurocarbon compared to Mono or Braid?

The pros to flouro are:

1) It sinks, whereas mono and most braids float. This can be helpful in getting crankbaits deeper. Just as an FYI, Spiderwire Flouro-Braid sinks like flouro but has all of the other advantages of using braid like smaller diameter for a given pound test.

2) It is the most abrasion resistant of the 3 types of lines. If you are fishing areas with lots of rock or shell beds for example, flouro usually reduces the amount of lost lures and retying you have to do.

The cons of flouro are:

1) The biggest problem area for flouro is knots. If they are not tied very carefully, moistened and cinched down correctly they will either slip or the line digs into itself and the knot breaks. Also some knots just don't lend themselves to flouro for these reasons.

2) Most flouro develops a lot of memory causing backlashes and other problems.

3) In colder weather even the best flouro stiffens up and becomes very unmanageable.

These are just some general guidelines for you to think about. Your mileage may vary from other people.

Like all things fishing, it is best to experiment and find out what works best for YOU.  :)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

j102

I use PowerPro original 99% of the time.
Mono line: Berkley Trilene XT.

Silas

YOZURI copolymer.

However, just today I got some J-Braid 15#in chartreuse. Put it on a TDZ and 6'10 Medium Expride for 1/4 spinnerbait.

Very smooth!! Easy casting. Tied a size 0 snap directly to the braid.

FloridaFishinFool

Favorite is sufix braid, and I also like Berkley Fireline original fused line. I do not use any clear lines and no leaders.

Correction, I do us clear line for backing to braid only.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Donald Garner

Most of the time I use Berkley Big Game Clear Mono.  I do have a rod rigged up with Power Pro braid I use for flipping in heavy matted areas.  If I'm going to fish a tournament then I strip all the mono off and spool up with Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon line. 

When I use Fluorocarbon on my Texas Rigged Soft Plastics I use a Tungsten Weight also.  I can feel the structure and the strike more than with mono.

The braid is only used when fishing really nasty looking locations.  I don't have to worry to much about frayed line when flipping or pitching into these locations. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Silas on March 15, 2017, 09:15:33 PM
YOZURI copolymer.

However, just today I got some J-Braid 15#in chartreuse. Put it on a TDZ and 6'10 Medium Expride for 1/4 spinnerbait.

Very smooth!! Easy casting. Tied a size 0 snap directly to the braid.
What spool you got in that?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rb-nc

I have made the switch to braid with a leader of fluro or mono. I was very skeptical of this to begin with. I made the switch on spinning rods first. I then did only one casting rod at a time. Now all my setups are this. I use Sunline Sniper for my leaders except for topwaters, where I use mono. !2lb for popers and 20lb for spooks

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: rb-nc on March 16, 2017, 08:00:14 AM
I have made the switch to braid with a leader of fluro or mono. I was very skeptical of this to begin with. I made the switch on spinning rods first. I then did only one casting rod at a time. Now all my setups are this. I use Sunline Sniper for my leaders except for topwaters, where I use mono. !2lb for popers and 20lb for spooks

Try deleting the leader and see how it goes. Once I dropped the clear leaders I have been very very happy and never looked back nor even regretted it for one second. Leaders are the weak link! My fishing buddy proves it to me all the time with every fish he loses!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

FISH520

Straight Power Pro for me

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Kris

I have one reel with 50lb Spiderwire Stealth for my Dobyns FR765flip.  Other six baitcasters use Trilene XT green (I think I have used this most of my fishing career), Seaguar Red label mono, P-Line CX Fluorocarbon and a couple of others I can't remember.  I do have a new spool of Yo-Zuri Hybrid 12lb that is looking for a spot in the line up.  I may respool my Curados with it and get rid of the Vicious Fluorocarbon after my last experience.  It's gone.
Both my spinning reels have P-Line Fluoroclear 6lb on them.  I do have a spare spool for the Daiwa 3000 and it will get some light braid after I decide what to put on it.
So, in short, I am all over the board on line and subject to change without notice.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Bass 24 7

Seagaur Senshi on bait casters except for frog/toad/and pitching heavy vegetation then it is Suffix 832 braid.

On spinning reels I run Fireline and if it is super clear I will use a leader of  Seagaur Red Label

cadman

10 lb Yozuri-Hybrid on my baitcasters, and Yozuri- Ultra soft on my spinning reel.
"Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

ccr425

Power Pro original. In all sizes.

Have never really liked mono, but I have some Defier Armilo from Sunline on the way to try.

Dink Dawg

Power Pro
Sunline Super Natural Mono
Sunline Super Sniper or Invizex

Smallie_Stalker

I realized that in answering your question about flouro that I never got to your main question. ~b~

I use braid almost exclusively, and stopped using leaders some years back. My setups break down about like this:

Baitcasters:

Braid approx. 97% of the time. Either Spiderwire Stealth or Spiderwire Ultra-Cast Flouro-Braid depending on the application.

Mono approx. 2% of the time. Berkley Trilene. Mostly XL but occasionally XT.

Flouro. approx 1% of the time. Berkley Trilene Professional Grade 100% flourocarbon. On the rare occasion that I use it for cranking instead of braid I use the the 10 pound test Berkley Trilene Professional Grade 100% flourocarbon XL that is designed for spinning reels. It is a bit more limp and manageable than the regular version. Since I am using 10 pound test anyway it saves me a little hassle and casts a bit better.

Spinning:

98% of the time it is either Bekley Nanp-Fil or Berkley Fireline. I find the Nano-Fil gets better casting distance and has a few more pound tests like 17 that Fireline doesn't offer. Also in some of the lighter pound tests it has a smaller diameter than the equivalent Fireline which can give the bait a bit more action. Especially helpful on drop shot.

Fireline cuts grass better IMO, so if I am working mainly around green stuff with a spinning application then Fireline gets the nod.

Mono 1%. Again either Berkley Trilene XL or sometimes XT.

Flouro 1%. I only have one spool with flouro on it now. It is Berkley Trilene 100% Professional Grade Flourocarbon XL (designed specificlly for spinning reels) in 6lb test. I haven't used it in a long while though.

Confused enough?  ::)

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

Braid: Tufline XP, Tufline Super Cast

Fluorocarbon: Seaguar Red Label

Mono: varies ( Trilene XL, Trilene Big Game, Ande)