Reel Chronicles...

Started by FloridaFishinFool, March 16, 2017, 07:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

I have a reel with a mismatched side plate, when I palm it the side plate can't be seen and when not in use it's covered, nobody sees the little freak and it works so I don't really mind! lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

I dont see the problem....

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SteelHorseCowboy

Paint is always an option too.
The stuff I used on my Caenan is just now started to look a bit rough, but I didn't let it fully cure and I've put that reel through hell. It's been loaned, dropped, thrown in the lake, has had things dropped on it, and spends a lot of time rattling around in my trunk.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 14, 2018, 09:08:00 AM
Paint is always an option too.
The stuff I used on my Caenan is just now started to look a bit rough, but I didn't let it fully cure and I've put that reel through hell. It's been loaned, dropped, thrown in the lake, has had things dropped on it, and spends a lot of time rattling around in my trunk.

You may want to think about armour plating for it.
Rodney

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on June 14, 2018, 02:16:16 PM

You may want to think about armour plating for it.
Rodney
Nah, that'd cost more than the reel. It's one of the pawn shop reels. Still great, although one of the arms is now broken off of the star drag.

aclawrence

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 06, 2018, 09:05:38 AM
My pawn shop Caenan was missing the spring for the drag clicker when I bought it, so I just tossed the tiny pawl.
LMG's right, it makes no difference in operation, just removes the audible and tactile feedback when you adjust the drag.

Also, Lawrence, what kind of line are you trying to spool it with, and have you tightened the drag down? We've had anglers here on this forum with years of experience who have thought they'd broken their reels after mistakenly trying to spool braided line and forgetting to use a backing, AND after trying to spool their reels with the drag backed off almost completely.
These are understandable mistakes and can happen to anyone.

It was just mono. I've sent the reel off to Mike and he mentioned something about some parts being put together wrong.  It's already on the way back to me. Hopefully I'll be reeling in bass with it in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaFishinFool

I'm sure that reel will be as good as new when you get it back!

I just finished this curado BSF frankenreel. The customer said go with the side plate we have so the reel was complete disassembled and rebuilt and is now like new. It has worked well for more than 25 years and he can probably get another 25 out of it!

And guys, be careful putting your spools into your reels if you have old style centrifugal brakes! I had to tell a customer the bad news his reel is now junk because he ruined the centrifugal brake pins by shoving the spool into the reel housing without retracting the brake shoes so he bent every pin down towards the spool binding up the brake shoes and he wondered why it does not free spin any longer...

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

WTodd

Ok without going thru all 233 posts can anyone give me a review on the new Curado K reels. The reviews I've read say it's a a good reel but if any of you guys have one I'd like see what you think. I have 2 G models and love them.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: WTodd on June 25, 2018, 03:36:41 PM
Ok without going thru all 233 posts can anyone give me a review on the new Curado K reels. The reviews I've read say it's a a good reel but if any of you guys have one I'd like see what you think. I have 2 G models and love them.

I don't believe there is a review in this thread, it's mostly like a "Strangest things seen in the ER" type of thread. Only in this case, "things seen in the repair shop". And a little smack talk.

I have the Curado K XG. I love it, but I don't have much to compare it too. It holds a lot of line, it's easy to use. Not super friendly towards lightweight lures but it's manageable. Comes from the factory with the spool bearings packed so full of grease it kinda kills the casting distance. Clean those out and you're GTG.
The XG with the 8.5:1 gear ratio has the longer handle, which has absolutely spoiled me.
Nice and smooth. Pair it with a good rod and line, I'm using a 7'3" Curado M rod and Sufix 832, and it practically paints a picture of everything in the water.

Best investment I've made in fishing gear, so far.

WTodd

I need to replace my Citica that has been a work horse that I use fishing flukes; I literally use it a TON. I MAY take my 7:1:1 G7 model (that I currently use for flipping/frogs) and use it to replace my Citica and then get either a 7:4:1 or 8:3:1 to use for flipping/frogs. If I do this I'm considering getting my first left handed reel; should make flipping easier.

Thoughts?

Oldfart9999

Why not have the Citica gone through? There are several folks here that can make it better bthan new.
Rodney

redux

Get a professional to go over the reel. Whatever you love about the reel will come back with proper servicing.

All my reels are lefty. I can't fish with right-hand reels. My left arm isn't wired to handle a rod during the retrieve. I can cast left-handed when I need to but when I switch my hands back to the reel it feels like a clunky process to position my rod. Lefty allows me to complete my cast with the rod in the "set" position and with my hand on the reel.

There's been plenty of times when fish take my bait as soon as it hits the water. Including spinner baits, worms, jigs, top water, etc. and if I was switching hands I'd have missed the hook set because my rod wasn't in the set position. Sure, it doesn't happen every time, but when it does I'm glad I don't have to switch hands and possibly lose fish.

Righty for me is cast, switch hands, put my hand on the reel, and then position the rod, . Too many steps IMHO. But if it works for you, don't change.

The same thought process for using left-handed reels for flipping/pitching works for me in every other application.
You can't win of you're not in.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 25, 2018, 04:00:05 PM
I don't believe there is a review in this thread, it's mostly like a "Strangest things seen in the ER" type of thread. Only in this case, "things seen in the repair shop". And a little smack talk.

Yep! Just an FYI thread and nothing more or less.

And I agree with Z and Rodney about overhauling the citica. It can work like new again... Oh and too cool we just got in the mail a box of reels to repair from the Sultan of Qatar! The ruling family of Qatar chose our shop to repair their reels.

And Z, taking your boat in today for service made me a little late to work and when I walked into the shop I was told gee Kent you are too late for the new Italian made fishing line. Huh?

Apparently some new Italian line company sent our shop a large box of sample lines and everyone plundered the box before I got to the store so I missed out on all the new line samples. I am going to pressure someone for some of this 30 pound blue braid...

Apparently this company is looking to break into the U.S. market and are targeting various industry people to try their line samples hoping I would bet to get some good reviews.

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SteelHorseCowboy

Redux, I had to train myself to pitch left handed. Had the same issue you're having with coordination between strong hand/off hand, except throw in some other issues as well.
On a long cast I cast right handed and can switch hands and grip before the lure hits the water, but now I can't pitch right handed when I try.
I am strongly considering, over time, eventually switching to left handed bait casters. That takes money I don't have right now, and I tend to hold on to things that work. Having several spinning reels now, including one of which is apparently lefty only, I've learned to retrieve lefty. Caused some minor damage to one of my favorites by swapping the handle to the right, so now I just rock 'em on the left.
But then I'd have to retrain myself to pitch righty. Can't win for losin.

redux

Well, FFF, no good deed goes unpunished. You don't want some junky experimental line anyway.  ~roflmao

SHCB, we all have our limitations. Adjusting to right v left baitcasters is a pretty nice problem to have in the grand scheme of things. I tried a righty reel for a couple hours and nearly tossed it in the water before exchanging it for a lefty. Some things aren't worth changing.

WTodd

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on June 26, 2018, 06:12:01 AM
Why not have the Citica gone through? There are several folks here that can make it better bthan new.
Rodney
This is part of the plan. Because I do so much fluke fishing, I really needed to upgrade reels; I need more horsepower so to speak. The Citica still has a lot of life left but for other than single hook baits and will be even better when I get someone in the board to beef it up.

redux

I missed the bit where you said you need a faster reel. Can't you get higher ratio gears for the Citca instead of replacing the entire reel?

WTodd

I would think you can replace the gears but I'm not 100% sure. Besides adding a 6th rod & reel on the boat just gives me more options.

cport

Quote from: redux on June 26, 2018, 02:50:32 PM
I missed the bit where you said you need a faster reel. Can't you get higher ratio gears for the Citca instead of replacing the entire reel?
Quote from: WTodd on June 26, 2018, 03:03:01 PM
I would think you can replace the gears but I'm not 100% sure. Besides adding a 6th rod & reel on the boat just gives me more options.

Its no use, redux, just leave it alone. It's obvious that the bait monkey has WTodd in his clutches lo lo lo
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on June 26, 2018, 02:37:45 PM
This is part of the plan. Because I do so much fluke fishing, I really needed to upgrade reels; I need more horsepower so to speak. The Citica still has a lot of life left but for other than single hook baits and will be even better when I get someone in the board to beef it up.

If its an E series, you have 5,6, and 7 speed gears from a Curado E that will fit.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

WTodd

The reel I'm looking to have some work done on is a Citica not a Curado. As soon as I get the new Curado I'd like to send the Citica to you for evil so you can tell me what can be done to it

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on June 27, 2018, 03:07:54 PM
The reel I'm looking to have some work done on is a Citica not a Curado. As soon as I get the new Curado I'd like to send the Citica to you for evil so you can tell me what can be done to it

If its an E series, the Citica and Curado are basically the same reel. I have a Citica with Curado sideplates and Curado E7 gears. Those 2 reels have always been damn near identical.

WTodd

They feel the same physically in my hand but not when I get a fish on. Curado feels much smoother