WTodd

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 28, 2018, 09:04:22 AM
Yeah, I might ruin him too.  ~roflmao

~beer~
TBD Gambler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cport

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 29, 2018, 02:16:53 PM

I wonder if it is true about Shimano possibly going to produce a Curado DC reel!
Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 29, 2018, 02:50:17 PM
Yep, its coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy6fYpK1zhY

Here is Tactical Bassin's review; they got ahold of a couple:
https://youtu.be/7Q9_5SuLP-8

And here is a place you can pre-order via our sponsor
https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Shimano-Curado-DC-150-p/shimano-curadodc.htm
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

FloridaFishinFool

Thanks! Looks like a curado DC is in my near future!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Lipripper

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 29, 2018, 04:58:53 PM
Thanks! Looks like a curado DC is in my near future!

You back from fishing already  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Lipripper on June 29, 2018, 05:00:44 PM
You back from fishing already  ;D

The door hit me on the way out... In the form of rain and lightning. Decided not to roll the dice trying to catch fish while holding graphite lightning rod. Now I'm just wishin' I was fishin'.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

redux

FFF, we should be able to get a good look at the DC at icast. Actually, I'm a little afraid that they have a herd of monkeys roaming the halls.
You can't win of you're not in.

Lipripper

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 29, 2018, 05:43:10 PM
The door hit me on the way out... In the form of rain and lightning. Decided not to roll the dice trying to catch fish while holding graphite lightning rod. Now I'm just wishin' I was fishin'.
Don't blame ya there I will fish in the  ~rain but not when it's out.

Quote from: redux on June 30, 2018, 06:17:14 AM
FFF, we should be able to get a good look at the DC at icast. Actually, I'm a little afraid that they have a herd of monkeys roaming the halls.

Them dang are the fist in line to get in one of them places. Heck I think they have a VIP pass and get in before the doors open.  lo lo

WTodd

Ok initial review of the Curado K (7:4:1 gears).  Just got it, spooled it and took it to the retention ponds near the house. This is one smooth reel. The retrieve just glides. Adjustments are simple enough; it has 2 brake adjustments, 1 inside & 1 out. Adjusting the interior brakes is simple but I wish it had 6 brakes (older models) instead of 4 but the exterior adjustment should help me fine tune the brakes; I'm close right now. Still need to finalize the drag (only caught 1 fish so small sample size) but am closer than I was. With all the talk about the larger handle I was actually worried until I got it in my hands; its bigger than previous models but I like the larger size. I may have to put larger ones on my other Curados now

Out of the box I'd give it an 8.5 (right now I have no issues with it) but only because I need to catch some larger fish to see how it handles. After I get to use it for real I'll report back.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: WTodd on June 30, 2018, 03:15:59 PM
Ok initial review of the Curado K (7:4:1 gears).  Just got it, spooled it and took it to the retention ponds near the house. This is one smooth reel. The retrieve just glides. Adjustments are simple enough; it has 2 brake adjustments, 1 inside & 1 out. Adjusting the interior brakes is simple but I wish it had 6 brakes (older models) instead of 4 but the exterior adjustment should help me fine tune the brakes; I'm close right now. Still need to finalize the drag (only caught 1 fish so small sample size) but am closer than I was. With all the talk about the larger handle I was actually worried until I got it in my hands; its bigger than previous models but I like the larger size. I may have to put larger ones on my other Curados now

Out of the box I'd give it an 8.5 (right now I have no issues with it) but only because I need to catch some larger fish to see how it handles. After I get to use it for real I'll report back.

Happy to hear you are enjoying your new reel Walt.

WTodd

I forgot to add that this reel is replacing my fluke reel so casting a weightless fluke is everything; it passed the test, I can cast it as far as I want.

Lipripper

Thanks for the review Walt and sounds like once you get that little adjustment figured out and tuned in you will be all set.  ~c~

SteelHorseCowboy

I wish it had six blocks too. There are times when 2 on just ain't enough, and 4 is a bit much, but I just can't hardly force myself to use three and just leave that one lonely little fella disengaged.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

WTodd

If you're referring to the K model, have you tried adjusting the exterior brake dial? It's hard to adjust (probably so you can't accidentally move the dial). I think I still need to tweak mine a tad but like I said I'm close right now.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: WTodd on July 01, 2018, 08:13:33 AM
If you're referring to the K model, have you tried adjusting the exterior brake dial? It's hard to adjust (probably so you can't accidentally move the dial). I think I still need to tweak mine a tad but like I said I'm close right now.

Yep. What I haven't tried, is cranking the dial way up with just two blocks. Furthest I've gone with it is "5". Reason why is because like you mentioned, the dial is very stiff. But so you know, it does lighten up with use.
When I first got mine, it took some effort to turn it from "1" to "2", and I had to dig my thumbnail into the ridges to move it to "3". Now I can roll it from "1" to "4" with very little effort, and it's actually located in a spot where I've yet to move it unintentionally.
I can engage all 4 blocks, turn the dial down to "1" or "2" and back the spool tension off to toss light weights, just seems reluctant to let it fly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cport

Still need to finalize the drag (only caught 1 fish so small sample size) but am closer than I was.
I can attest to the quality of the drag. My drag was set fairly light on my K from catching smaller cookie-cutter size fish earlier in the morning, when I saw what would become my PB on a bed. When she took it, 11 lbs of PO'd bass just started peeling drag. Smooth and easy. But here's the best part. When I recovered my senses, I slammed down the star, and that drag stopped her in her tracks, and I brought her in relatively easy after that. I was very, very impressed.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

FloridaFishinFool

Glad you like the curado Chris!

Right now our shop is cranking out some older Shimano stradic reels customers brought into our shop. And you gotta love the customers insistence on "I never opened the reel!!!" We hear it all the time...

And here is how we know...

Deep in the older stradics we find this:

And on a customer's reel we find this on the pawl:

Parts are reversed! Busted!

The shim is not even listed as a part on the schematic. This is one of those fine adjustments made for each reel.

Some stradics will have 2 or 3 shims.

FloridaFishinFool

This is really a critical mistake on the owner's part because the hole in these two parts are NOT the same size!

It is critical because this pawl spins inside the grey plastic bushing which aligns the pawl for proper worm gear tracking. Putting a part with a larger hole at the critical pivot point allows the pawl to slop around- move around outside of design parameters and could bind up the reel if too loose!

It should be very clear the grey bushing is first on the pawl which is designed to fit each other perfectly...

This is how it is suppose to be inside the reel:

FloridaFishinFool

Don't forget the bearing spacer underneath the pinion bearing...

Also, don't put this screw in any other place on the reel. This is a special made shimano only locking screw that rachets into place to keep the line guide tight so it wont loosen up on its own while fishing.

FloridaFishinFool

I hope these boxes are still on my bench when Shimano engineers show up from ICAST. I gotta search all of these drive gears and more trying to find a match to get an older stradic working again.

Ugh! I'm going to lunch. This can wait until my belly is full.

FloridaFishinFool

Success! This reel was promised out today so it looks like we made this deadline... Oh, and you see those numbers stamped into the drive gear? Not part numbers... it is a separate in house shimano numbering system we use to cross link parts with other reels... when the part numbers on the schematics become useless...

FloridaFishinFool

Another 20 plus year old Shimano Stradic 4000FG is back in business and almost as smooth as new with the used gears installed. Gears have not been available for this reel for more than a decade.

And now right behind the 4000FG I am moving on to a Stradic 4000FH one of my favorite series of stradics...

Nice to have some high schools kids trained on cleaning reels to make our job faster big time!

Just found out the Shimano engineers just left ICAST and are on their way here. Looking forward to asking them about possibility for older parts being made again. I know they do it sometimes when demand is high enough like it has been on the older curado reels.

FloridaFishinFool

The Shimano executives were here while I was assembling this old Stradic reel. The Shimano executives picked it up and passed it around talking about how much they like the color and finish of this older stradic and that they would like to bring this color back in the line up.

Another 20 plus year old stradic is back in the fishing game smooth as new!

FloridaFishinFool

This thread is done... no time to continue... kids are priority

Lipripper

That old old stradic is a sharp looking reel. have fun at ICAST.

FloridaFishinFool

Here's a strange one I found in a thrift store. And left in the thrift store... don't even know what this gimmick reel is. But it has a range finder? Yeah right!