Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: getting back into it in SC  (Read 464 times)

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
getting back into it in SC
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »

Hello everyone.  I'm excited to learn a ton from the folks here.  I was always the kid that gravitated to water.  Even catching frogs in puddles.  My grandparents had a very rustic cabin on a lake in PA.  Lake Arrowhead.  I was always told it was the highest elevation lake in PA.  Cool clear waters full of bass, pumpkinseed, yellow perch, bullhead and pickerel.  When we'd stay at the cabin I was always the first one outside with a line in the water every morning. 

Fast forward a bunch of years and I was fortunate enough to marry a pretty lady that developed a passion for fishing and was always happy to go along.  On our honeymoon we stayed at a cabin in Algonquin Park in Ontario and spent the week fishing.  Those were the first smallmouth she'd ever caught and soon understood why they were always a favorite of mine.  Unfortunately when the kids came along(3 now, whew) fishing took a backseat.  Our oldest will be 7 soon.  Recently an opportunity arose where I was presented a good deal on a boat and I jumped at it.  It's a '97 Nitro 700LX.  I've never even been in a bass boat but after a few trips on Lake Wateree I'm all in again and can't believe I ignored this passion of mine for so long.  I didn't realize how much I missed it and forgot how therapeutic it is to spend time chasing fish.  I pulled my gear out of the garage and dusted it off and hit the water last week.  I was delighted to catch three, one was a really nice fish maybe pushing 4 lbs. 

We live near Lake Wateree in Camden.  I'd really like to get involved in some local clubs, perhaps an informal tournament or two.  I don't think I can win anything but would like to learn the ropes from some other experienced folks.  I'd appreciate recommendations on local clubs that are active but not super hardcore.  Also if there is someone that goes to Wateree frequently and wouldn't mind company I'd be happy to chip in for gas. 

God bless and if you see someone on Lake Wateree with a red and black Nitro steer clear, he's got no clue what he's doing. 

Princeton_Man

• CM Forum Staff
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
Re: getting back into it in SC
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:59:16 AM »

Welcome aboard!  ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Va_Hawghunter

• Charter Member
  • Call'n all hawgs
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »

Welcome to the site, you'll find some of the most knowledgeable folks here about fishing, and some of the best bs'ers in the world, you'll love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing like time on the water.

FISH520

• Charter Member
  • HERE FISHY FISHY
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »

Welcome bud

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »

and to Ultimate Bass and I can tell from your post your going to fit right in around here so make yourself right at  :)hsh: and welcome back to the world of fishing  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  This forum is a lot to take in.  I'm going to have to limit my time here or my bank account won't stand a chance.  Who knew you could modify fishing reels?  I think a lot of my equipment is older than a lot of the members here. 

WarriorRiverTackle

• Ultimate Basser
  • Fishin' Alabama
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »

Welcome!
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Lee Smith

• LM Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 12:51:38 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  This forum is a lot to take in.  I'm going to have to limit my time here or my bank account won't stand a chance.  Who knew you could modify fishing reels?  I think a lot of my equipment is older than a lot of the members here.

Welcome to UB!  And don't pay no tention to them reel gurus, they just want your money  ~roflmao  ~roflmao

But then, I'll never fish another one that isn't zipped up from Mike or LMG  :surrender:  lo
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

fishandkamp

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »

Welcome and I too am blessed with a spouse that chases smallies. We actually went to Canada and fish for huge trout on the Bow River. We were there the summer after the winter olympics was held in Calgary.  Fast forward we chase all types of fish all over.  Her personal bests include a 7 pound smallie and a 34 1/2 pound flat head cat.

Since you have been away so long I would concentrate on changing to some of the new lines. Boy there are a bunch that you will find out about. Next I would look into replacing some of your old plastics. They have probably gone south after too long.  Stick with basics and then add some of the "new stuff"  So 5 inch grubs, tubes, and there is a mirade of new finesse worms.  There are newer versions of slider heads available as well as stand up jig heads we call shakey head jigs. Most have a screw on them to make it easy to impale the bait and then tex pose the hook. These are often deadly with worms but also crawfish imitations.

Again welcome  and you can always pm me, I love talking smallies. They are addictive. One last bait I must mention.   Look at two companies, one is Keitech and the other is Reaction Innovation. They both make some paddle tail swimbaits (3,5 to 5 inch plastic minnow imitations)  These baits are deadly and deserve to be included in your arsenal. There are several good ways to rig them depending on the depth you wish to fish them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:03:34 AM by fishandkamp »

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »

Don't do that just get some blinders or I do offer a class on how to say NO   lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »

You're not kidding about new stuff since I've been away. What's this fluorocarbon line?  And I've been hearing a lot about drop shotting.  My go to presentations in the past were either weightless plastics or a floating rapala.  I ordered a new suspending jerk bait from bass pro after watching some YouTube videos by mike iaconelli on prespawn bass and this thing looks amazing; the eyes look so real. I can't wait to try it out. 

By the way the three fish I caught last week on wateree were on a carolina rig near docks in about 6 feet of water.  I was using a brush hog.

cojab

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »

Welcome!
TTK has spoken.

Smallie_Stalker

• Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »

Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Memberís Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 06:24:41 AM »

Welcome!
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 02:56:39 AM »

Welcome to UB. And you will still catch lots of fish on the good old reliable tackle. But the new stuff is awesome to play with.
If you need me I'm outdoors.

bigjim5589

• Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 05:21:30 AM »

Welcome to UltimateBass scfisher, we're glad to have you join us!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

I also live in SC, Manning, near Lake Marion. Perhaps we can get together sometime & both learn a few things about these waters. I've been in your area a few times, and Wateree looks like a place I would like to learn about. Would also enjoy some company while fishing on Lake Marion too!  ~cf

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being UNDER it!
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!
http://tidewaterflyblog.blogspot.com/

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 07:16:32 AM »

Hey bigjim, that sounds like a plan.  I'd think wateree and marion would have a lot in common seeing as how they're connected.  I've been warned it's very stumpy. 

That's neat you're into fly fishing.  My wife and I have dabbled in that.  Not for trout but mainly in ponds for panfish and bass.  In fact after getting my wife a fly rod I can't get her to put it down.  She'd rather catch little sunnies all day on a fly rod than a couple bass with traditional tackle. 

Went out on Wateree yesterday with my 5 year old son in the afternoon.  He's terrified of the gas engine so we just putted around with the trolling motor.  As a result we were pretty much stuck in one finger of the lake the whole time(wind was gusting enough I didn't want to fight with it).  I finally hooked into one small bass and let him real it in.  Made the whole trip worthwhile.  It appeared the cold weather had dropped the water temp from the week before about 2 degrees.  I had no clue where the fish were but they weren't where we were. 

bigjim5589

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »

Scfisher, I really enjoy fishing with fly tackle, been doing it for 50 years. However, I also enjoy fishing with all types of tackle. Most of the fly fishing I've done has been for panfish, bass, & tidal fish such as Striped bass and I would go chase some trout too when I got the opportunity. Like your wife, I also enjoy catching the Bluegills & other panfish on flies, and have fly rods that I bought primarily for that purpose. It's all fun to me!  ;D

I have 2 grandsons, my oldest son's kids, they're about 7 & 9, and so far have only had the older one out fishing when I still lived in MD. They've been down here to SC, but timing didn't allow me to get them fishing. I really hope I get the chance to get both of them addicted to fishing!  lo
No one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being UNDER it!
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!
http://tidewaterflyblog.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 35 queries.