Early season, cold water. Where do I start?

Started by cojab, March 18, 2017, 08:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cojab

My two favorite lakes have opened for boats now but where do I start?
We have had very unseasonal warm weather lately. In the mid 70's for a couple of weeks now and could hit 80 this weekend. The water temps are still in the 40's though. One lake was 41 degrees yesterday and the other was 47. Both lakes have both Smallies and LM in them.

So where would you guys start in these conditions? I am thinking the bass will still be pretty deep and obviously close to the baitfish, but where are the baitfish in these temps? My electronics aren't very good right now so narrowing down some general areas would help.
TTK has spoken.

Lipripper

Good luck cojab and I know it's been a long cold winter and hope you can figure out where the bait is at so you can find the fish. You going to be throwing a jig at them?

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Follow the transitions from the spawning areas out toward deeper water til you find them. If it's sunny they should be shallower, maybe in a cove with a dark bottom, along riprap or something else that the sun beats on the north side. They may suspend higher in the water also, good time to know your electronics.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cojab

It has been a long winter Lip but I can't complain. It's been milder than usual and I will be getting out earlier than normal as well. I am so ready to get out on the water though.

Definitely will be throwing some jigs and thinking about some deep cranks also. Jerkbaits will be in the arsenal for when the smallies start moving up as well.
TTK has spoken.

cojab

Thanks for the info OF.
Electronics is the next area I will be improving on. Right now I have a single Lowrance Elite 4 on the bow. Upgrades are in the future plans as funds allow.
TTK has spoken.

Lipripper

Quote from: cojab on March 18, 2017, 11:38:58 AM
It has been a long winter Lip but I can't complain. It's been milder than usual and I will be getting out earlier than normal as well. I am so ready to get out on the water though.

Definitely will be throwing some jigs and thinking about some deep cranks also. Jerkbaits will be in the arsenal for when the smallies start moving up as well.
I just did a little research and discovered that I don't have to wait till April 1st to get my 2017 fishing license  ~c~ ~c~ So I'm going to go on line and get it now and even if I have to hobble I'm going to find a bank somewhere that has some open water and wet a line.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cojab

Quote from: Lipripper on March 18, 2017, 11:58:50 AM
I just did a little research and discovered that I don't have to wait till April 1st to get my 2017 fishing license  ~c~ ~c~ So I'm going to go on line and get it now and even if I have to hobble I'm going to find a bank somewhere that has some open water and wet a line.  ;D

Good for you sir. I'm glad to hear it! ~c~ ~c~
TTK has spoken.

cojab

Thanks very much for the replies OF and Lip. Much appreciated!
TTK has spoken.

caddyjoe77

As has been mentioned, jigs.  Also, as has been mentioned find the spawning areas out from there.  You should be able to see the shad schools.  They look like giant clouds.  The bigger the better. 

Spoon or grub. 

Watch any of bo's videos on TR.  Definitely an art.

BeerMe

Oldfart9999

Quote from: cojab on March 18, 2017, 11:38:58 AM

You might be surprised at how early smallies will move up when the sun is out. It's to feed not prespawn.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cojab

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on March 21, 2017, 02:09:25 AM
As has been mentioned, jigs.  Also, as has been mentioned find the spawning areas out from there.  You should be able to see the shad schools.  They look like giant clouds.  The bigger the better. 

Spoon or grub. 

Watch any of bo's videos on TR.  Definitely an art.

Thanks Joe.
BTW, it's beer thirty!  ~beer~
TTK has spoken.

caddyjoe77

BeerMe