Straight Or Crooked???

Started by FloridaFishinFool, March 19, 2017, 04:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye

As to your original line of questioning, I believe you are confusing or mixing Running Straight VS Crooked with Running with a Tight Action or a More Erratic Action.

The picture of the Swimbait you provided is a simple example of this. By removing the Palomar Knot and adding a Loop Knot you added a move Free Swing and this more Erratic Action.

In Reality it is the Bass on any given day that will tell you what they want. One day it might be a tight wiggle, the very next a wide wobble. Even withing the same day things can and do change.

In the end a Tuned to run Straight Lure will provide a better Erratic Action when matched to a Loop Knot than and Un-Tuned one will. That at least is my findings. 

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Deadeye on March 20, 2017, 09:19:06 PM
As to your original line of questioning, I believe you are confusing or mixing Running Straight VS Crooked with Running with a Tight Action or a More Erratic Action.

The picture of the Swimbait you provided is a simple example of this. By removing the Palomar Knot and adding a Loop Knot you added a move Free Swing and this more Erratic Action.

In Reality it is the Bass on any given day that will tell you what they want. One day it might be a tight wiggle, the very next a wide wobble. Even withing the same day things can and do change.

In the end a Tuned to run Straight Lure will provide a better Erratic Action when matched to a Loop Knot than and Un-Tuned one will. That at least is my findings.
Agreed 100%, if you reread what I wrote you'll see that it's the angler that gives a bait, hard, soft or a combo, it's the angler that gives a bait an erratic action and that takes a bait that runs straight. By going from a tight to a loose knot the angler is making a change of action. By using wrist snaps an angler is causing a bait to move erratically. By twitching a rod tip the angler is imparting an action to a bait. That's what I was saying. I think we have trying to say the same thing but in different ways.
Rodney   
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

analfisherman

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 20, 2017, 08:17:31 PM
We are worried about action, while some are out there fishing with senkos. Lol

<")))>{

You just may be amazed how much ACTION a true 'stickbait' angler uses on their retrieve........remember the Tip I gave last year's Tip Contest?. (Give the Bass the Finger)
Granted if your simply fishing them 'wacky' there is less action needed....but even then, the rip/tug and drop can make a HUGE difference between doing it hard or soft.
I also work them just like I do a Fluke at times.   8) ::)

But you have to REMEMBER..........I'M ANAL!  :surrender: ;D
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Deadeye on March 20, 2017, 09:19:06 PM

Hmmmm... I am not as sure as you about this claim! I am more of the opinion that straight or crooked produces just about the same results when trying to make the lure behave erratic.

I have not found straight to give more erratic control than a crooked running lure.

And with that... the voting has apparently come to a halt. There are 5 votes for straight and 7 votes for it does not matter.

By a vote count straight has lost. At one point it does not matter had a 2 to 1 lead but that closed towards the end. The "it does not matter" has won by 2 votes!

I have read some good reasons for why lures should be tuned to run straight, but in the end are those ideas a guarantee of catching more fish??? That is why I started this thread though I was not clear about that in the beginning.

So according to the votes alone, straight has lost!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

big g

This all depends on the bait and what your trying to do.  Are You only talking about crankbaits?   Crankbaits usually need to run true, but some crankers will bend a eye to favor one side or the other, if structure is off to that side.  This might be advanced cranking, but some do it! 

With plastics, even a simple senko can be brought back straight or walked back to the boat  Just like a spook.  A fluke can be walked with the right technique.  Sometimes they want a slow straight pull, sometimes they want some action.  Its up to fisherman to provide the action, when needed.  Watch you bait in a pool, to practice the difference actions for the same bait..  A variation of technique can make all the difference.  Figure it out!!!!

(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

big g

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on March 22, 2017, 10:25:26 AM
Hmmmm... I am not as sure as you about this claim! I am more of the opinion that straight or crooked produces just about the same results when trying to make the lure behave erratic.

I have not found straight to give more erratic control than a crooked running lure.

And with that... the voting has apparently come to a halt. There are 5 votes for straight and 7 votes for it does not matter.

By a vote count straight has lost. At one point it does not matter had a 2 to 1 lead but that closed towards the end. The "it does not matter" has won by 2 votes!

I have read some good reasons for why lures should be tuned to run straight, but in the end are those ideas a guarantee of catching more fish??? That is why I started this thread though I was not clear about that in the beginning.

So according to the votes alone, straight has lost!

On the vote question, the third choice is not just it doesn't matter.  It is both!!!!!! Sometimes straight is not the only choice, for many reasons. 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

LgMouthGambler

Nobody voted for "crooked". Votes were for "straight" or "it doesnt matter (both are fine)"
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FloridaFishinFool

It clearly says both! So yes, votes in the It does not matter category are indeed votes for crooked! And they are also votes for straight too!

So if we take it that way, then now we have 13 votes for straight and only 8 votes for crooked too. So maybe straight wins by looking at it that way, but just going by a straight up vote count now at 13 votes, we have 8 people to 5 saying it does not matter, BOTH straight and crooked are equally as usable.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

LgMouthGambler

Yep, now youve gone and made my head hurt.  ~b~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

big g

Lol, now another successful day!!!!!!!!! 

analfisherman

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 22, 2017, 12:20:44 PM
Yep, now youve gone and made my head hurt.  ~b~

Nothing that your Baby Toys can't fix! (From your Pic.)   ;D
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Smallie_Stalker

Or a couple shots of Bourbon.  ~beer~ ~beer~ ~beer~
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

flowerjohn

How is trolling not sport fishing?

This message sent via the FC network.

zippyduck

Quote from: flowerjohn on March 22, 2017, 05:26:38 PM
How is trolling not sport fishing?

This message sent via the FC network.

He has never had a steelie or salmon on that can out run the boat.
Or hooked a steelie on #30 braid 30' behind the boat, talk about hand to hand combat.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: zippyduck on March 22, 2017, 07:09:24 PM
He has never had a steelie or salmon on that can out run the boat.
Or hooked a steelie on #30 braid 30' behind the boat, talk about hand to hand combat.

On that one I confess, never caught a steelie nor a salmon, but do tarpon, permit, and snook count?

Concerning trolling and sport fishing, this would make a good subject of discussion on its own thread... going to start one now flowerjohn!