MM41 Alligator Alley

Started by Capt. BassinLou, March 19, 2017, 09:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Based on recent reports of the area, Rick and I decided to take the chance and run to MM41. We launched from MM35, West ramp, arriving at 2pm, and ran to the buoy on the North side of 41. On the way we crossed 2 weirs and the water was very, very low. I had to get across them strictly using the trolling motor, raising it to the top of the water at times.

The water out West were stained, due to an algae bloom and shallow in certain places. Water temps were about 75 degrees and the wind was blowing from the WNW at 15-18mph. We both started with frogs and within the first 15 min of arriving we already had 5 fish in the boat. I thought for a moment it was going to be 50+ fish outing.

At around 4:30 the bite suddenly stopped. We kept fishing, but the only fish biting were big oscars and the occasional bass. Rick switched to a few different baits with little luck. I stayed with the frog the whole time. My highlight and heart break came later in the outing when a HUGE bass swiped at my frog. I stopped the frog momentarily, and when I gently moved the frog, this behemoth slurped the frog and dove deep. I couldn't stop this thing. It momentarily broke the surface and my frog popped loose!!  ~rant ~rant ~rant  Needless to say I was heart broken the rest of the outing. Nothing really transpired after I lost that big fish. We did catch a few more smaller bass and decided to call the outing close to 7:30pm.

Reflecting back on the outing, Rick and I as usual had a lot of fun, trading laughs back and forth. The fishing was pretty good the first hour and half and slowed down. After talking about what could have happened. We both noticed that the fishing was better in the stained shallow water vs the cleaner deeper water. Also I noticed the water was 3-5 degrees colder in the deeper water than the shallow. If I had a to do it over again, I would have ran back West and fished the stained waters. Live and learn I guess.  ~b~ We finished the day with 19 bass boated and several big oscar and 1 mudfish. With the water dropping so much out there lately, I will not be able to reach MM41 after todays outing from MM35. This Spring is going to be insane!!

cport

Man, then are some nice fish. Top water is the most exhilarating way to fish.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

bucketmouth 87

When you say Oscars are you literally talking about a Oscar cichlid like in an aquarium ? 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

big g

Nice report Lou. ~c~  Was there any flow at that weir?  You two spent quite a bit of time out there until dark.  We were at least 15 miles east of your fishing spot, at MM25 the cuts.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: bucketmouth 87 on March 19, 2017, 09:29:40 PM
When you say Oscars are you literally talking about a Oscar cichlid like in an aquarium ? 

Yes. The cichlid, they get pretty big out in the Everglades .

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on March 19, 2017, 09:38:15 PM
Nice report Lou. ~c~  Was there any flow at that weir?  You two spent quite a bit of time out there until dark.  We were at least 15 miles east of your fishing spot, at MM25 the cuts.
No George, besides the wind there was no current by the weirs

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: Bassinlou on March 19, 2017, 09:43:47 PM
Yes. The cichlids, they get pretty big out in the Everglades .
Haha thats wild I didn't know they were caught like that. I bet they are a pain!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: bucketmouth 87 on March 19, 2017, 09:45:41 PM
Haha thats wild I didn't know they were caught like that. I bet they are a pain!

Yeah they can be. For kids though, they are blast... they don't stop fighting..lol!!

SFL BassHunter

Thanks for the invite out Lou. Had a good time as usual.

My fishing wasn't quite as good as Lou's. He put more fish in the boat and better quality ones too. Unfortunately for me a large portion of the algae bloom I was using a somewhat defective frog. It just wasn't acting right. The counter weight kept popping into the frog and it would sink on me. Figures that was where most of the bass activity was. I eventually switched to a booyah and managed to catch 3 chunky 13-14" bass. When the bite died I went to the jig and caught 1 bass on that. I side swiped a big oscar with the jig and foul hooked it in the head. Caught several other oscar as well when I switched to a worm.
The vibe tail and senko caught 0 bass.

Bucketmouth the Oscar down here are exactly that, the aquarium fish you are talking about. They are invasive. Some folks dumped their Oscar in the canal system and they started reproducing like rabbits. They thrive in the hot weather and have become quite the nuisance in the glades to us bass fishermen. They attack your bait in packs of 3-6 at a time sometimes. All you have to do is throw a plastic worm and hang it from a tree limb just above the water and you would think there were piranha living there. Turns into a frenzy them coming up trying to get that worm that's just touching the water with its tail.
They are fun to catch with lighter tackle. They aren't picky either. They will attack your 4 inch senko or your 10 inch worm. They go after frogs and apparently jigs. No bait is safe around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Thanks for the report. Glad you guys had fun.

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lipripper

Lou and Rick thanks for the report and glad y'all was able to get out and catch some fish. Dang that Oscar must of thought it was a Bass with that Frog  lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lipripper on March 20, 2017, 07:42:32 AM
Lou and Rick thanks for the report and glad y'all was able to get out and catch some fish. Dang that Oscar must of thought it was a Bass with that Frog  lo
Lol... a few of them did, I only took a pic of that one.. lol!!

cport

I just wish that I could catch enough in one day that I needed a fish counter!
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Canesfan

I know I don't need to tell you this but you  know you can access 41 by driving past it and turning around either in the median crossover hoping you don't get caught or drive out to Miccosukkee stop and legally cross over instead of driving a zillion miles in your boat crossing weirs.

Anyway, my favorite area  which I miss as my friend  I used to fish there with moved.  Our way, way biggest bass were caught from there.  Know it well.   Glad you had success.  As you saw, George and I were blessed with Oscar Fest 2017.  Lots of hits but the wrong fish.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Canesfan on March 20, 2017, 09:12:34 AM
I know I don't need to tell you this but you  know you can access 41 by driving past it and turning around either in the median crossover hoping you don't get caught or drive out to Miccosukkee stop and legally cross over instead of driving a zillion miles in your boat crossing weirs.

Anyway, my favorite area  which I miss as my friend  I used to fish there with moved.  Our way, way biggest bass were caught from there.  Know it well.   Glad you had success.  As you saw, George and I were blessed with Oscar Fest 2017.  Lots of hits but the wrong fish.
Thanks Canesfan, I know I can access 41 via driving. I don't want to chance the illegal u turns and drive an additional 10 miles to make a legal u turn. The benefit of running with the boat is if 41 isn't productive, I can turn around and access other spots or go to the Miami Canal. I like having options if the situation changes.

LgMouthGambler

Its 6 miles in the boat, or 10+ in the car trying to turn around.  ~b~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

Not sure how fast Lou's boat is.

Can't do the math.

6 miles by boat

or 16 miles by car at 60-65mph.

Then you have to include loading and unloading the boat times which I dunno.

Conclusion = I have accomplished nothing with this post, as I still don't know which is faster.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: rickdelprado on March 20, 2017, 10:07:49 AM

Can't do the math.

6 miles by boat

Conclusion = I have accomplished nothing with this post, as I still don't know which is faster.
~roflmao ~roflmao

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: rickdelprado on March 20, 2017, 10:07:49 AM

Can't do the math.

6 miles by boat

Lol!!

LgMouthGambler

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to 41 on my boat. Not only that, but the extra driving time in the car, and then if you want to run East (which is about the only way you are going from there), you have to run all the way back West. You remember the day I met up with you out there? I was out by 41.

Canesfan

Gee, sorry I mentioned it.  I won't reply anymore.  I am fully aware of the distances, was trying to save a boat ride.  Just thought driving there would be easier.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Canesfan on March 20, 2017, 11:04:41 AM
Gee, sorry I mentioned it.  I won't reply anymore.  I am fully aware of the distances, was trying to save a boat ride.  Just thought driving there would be easier.

I thought it was a good suggestion.
I think either method has it's pros and cons. Either way if the water keeps dropping the only way to get out to 41 would be your way. Those weirs are awfully low already. Don't think a fiberglass boat going through there would be a good idea. You'd need an aluminum with a very shallow draft.
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

By the looks of it, we are going to have a dry spring this year. While Rick and I approached the alley just passing by Markham Park, looking over the levy by WCA #2 what was once water in the flats is now drying up quickly. If this pace continues, launching fiber glass boats along some spots in the alley can become challenging. Little tin boats reign supreme during these times...  ~bb... lo

LgMouthGambler

And then thats when I come in for the kill.