Champion 734 full grip vs split grip

Started by steve76, March 17, 2017, 05:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve76

Has anyone that has both or used both in the previous generation noticed a difference in sensitivity? Wanting to get one for throwing 10" worms in deep water. Dobyns has some of the full grip listed on their remanufactured page for cheap. Might even consider going with the DX 744.

Edit: bought the DX 744

Mike Bush

I would go with a full grip if not using it for a moving bait. I own both. The full grip will have a slightly better balance for that technique.

If you are considering the HP 744...I would go that route....just my opinion though. Im a fan of the DX or HP rods for bottom contact. I do like the HP over the DX as well. Different rod totally.

steve76

Mike Cork

I've got both gens in both grips and I like the full grips much better. It's a personal preference thing though. No noticeable sensitivity deference.

I'm with Bush on the Extremes for bottom contact baits, lighter and overall more sensitive.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

steve76

I am surprised at how much lighter the DX feels than the Champions. My DX 745 feels lighter than my Champion 704. I have been using the 704 for Texas rigs for several years now but I keep reading about the benefits of a longer rod when fishing deep. I am more than happy with the sensitivity of my Champions. Looking forward to using the DX 744.

Gary Dobyns

We build many of our popular models in both Split handle and Full handle versions. It simply comes down to what the angler wants. They are the same exact blank. I personally prefer Full handles myself. The trend is changing by our sales. Ten years ago Split was always the best seller by about 65% to Full 35%. About 3 years ago we noticed the gap in sales closing between the two. Now today Fulls are out selling Splits, not by a lot but it looks like Full handles are making a come back. 

Elwood

I am with the growing crowd of full cork users.  The rods just seem to balance out better and that to me makes it more sensitive vs a forward weighted rod.  I would love to see the 68X and 70X rods offered in full cork.  Those are my moving bait rods but a full cork is also more comfortable to cast as my hand can grip all cork instead of my last two fingers gripping the blank on the split grip.
Elwood
Bass Cat Boats Moderator / Dobyns Rods Pro Staff
2020 Bass Cat Eyra 2020 Mercury 300R 4S

cojab

I'm not the most experienced guy out there but for sensitivity they seem very similar to me.

As far as comfort, when I got back into bass fishing I had all split handle rods. After getting my first full cork I'm finding I really like them. I am slowly changing out all of my rods now. Very comfortable for me to hold and they seem to balance well.
TTK has spoken.

steve76

Thanks for the input everyone. I don't have any full cork rods and had read a review that said the split grip was more sensitive so I thought I better ask here first.