Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bank Fishing: Cheap vs Expensive Tackle  (Read 5328 times)

big g

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
Re: Bank Fishing: Cheap vs Expensive Tackle
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »

As a frequent bank fisherman, the lakes I fish are full of vast weed and pad fields, and man made rock drop-offs.  Treble hooks are out of the question unless you don't mind spending a lot of money replacing baits.  Over the years I have gone exclusively to Texas rigged plastics.  I still lose a few rigs to either limestone walls, or baits that have been attacked by bait fish and the hook exposed.  If I lose a weight and hook its no big deal.  If I lose a lure with trebles becomes very frustrating.
(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

FISH520

• Charter Member
  • HERE FISHY FISHY
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 05:34:40 AM »

bank or boat  its all the same to me   fishing is fishing and i like the higher end stuff   its just part of the deal   if my wife can have 99 purses  then i can have 40 black n blue jigs !!!!!!!!

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »

bank or boat  its all the same to me   fishing is fishing and i like the higher end stuff   its just part of the deal   if my wife can have 99 purses  then i can have 40 black n blue jigs !!!!!!!!

Sounds like a pretty good arrangement you got going on there lol.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6.04lbs / Length 24.25 inches.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 04:38:56 AM »

I don't understand having 2 sets of equipment, cheap for bank fishing and good for boat, there aren't cheap fish for bank and good for boat, I understand different tackle but cheap?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FlatsNBay

• Lunker
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 05:52:33 AM »

I saw a fluorocarbon line test on the internet where they compared all of the popular FC lines. I was shocked to see that InvisX had MORE stretch than the comparison mono Trilene XL. That probably explains  why it's so manageable.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 09:57:33 AM »

I don't understand having 2 sets of equipment, cheap for bank fishing and good for boat, there aren't cheap fish for bank and good for boat, I understand different tackle but cheap?
Rodney

There are cheap lures out there compared to more expensive stuff.

For example you could have BPS brand lures for bank fishing and name brand stuff like Livingston, Rapala, and all the other expensive brands out there.

Some of us are still honing in our casting skills. On the boat you catch a tree on the other side of the canal and you have a higher % of recovering your lure. From the bank, that lure is gone.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6.04lbs / Length 24.25 inches.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »

I saw a fluorocarbon line test on the internet where they compared all of the popular FC lines. I was shocked to see that InvisX had MORE stretch than the comparison mono Trilene XL. That probably explains  why it's so manageable.

That's interesting. I have found it to have less stretch than most mono lines I have used. It is supple and thin which helps with manageability but not bad on stretch.
It does have a little more stretch than Senshi but still well within my acceptable "stretch" levels.

West6550

• Charter Member
  • 9 LB PB
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »

There are cheap lures out there compared to more expensive stuff.

For example you could have BPS brand lures for bank fishing and name brand stuff like Livingston, Rapala, and all the other expensive brands out there.

Some of us are still honing in our casting skills. On the boat you catch a tree on the other side of the canal and you have a higher % of recovering your lure. From the bank, that lure is gone.
I think Rock answered it. I don't buy separate but I put older never used things or cheaper baits in the bank bag. Cause when I loose it, it won't hurt as bad lol

big g

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2016, 05:57:02 PM »

Could we throw the drop shot in our canals? Absolutely, it's just not an ideal technique for me. I have had success in the past, with decent fish, but the limestone does a number to the line and or the weight. The weight falls between the cracks of the stone.

I agree with both Lou and Rick, the limestone walls of our canals and man made lakes will catch the crap out of the drop shot weights.  I have tried it years ago and it was quickly apparent, bank fishing and drop shot not the best choice! :help:
(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

j102

• Largemouth
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »

I use the same stuff. I am just more careful. Or I throw a worm without fear of losing it.

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »

Ok, first I do a lot of shorebusting.
I also use the same tackle whether , boat, kayak, or shore.

Now as a rule I will shy away from cranks if there's a tremendous amount of shallow rock with the exception of squares and lipless cranks.

Now for the drop shot question.
I hear a lot of anglers mention jigs but shy away from drop shotting.

Solution.....if you state laws allow it......use a jig as the weight.
I use NuJigs due to their uncanny ability to get through rock and timber but weedless football heads or even a tube can be used too.

Center bait for 'dark' water....try a thin paddle tail swim bait.
I don't care how 'dark' your waters are.......the fish are finding bait fish to eat.....somehow.
I little more action allows them to find 'your' bait easier using their 'lateral lines'......which is their go to 'sense' when feeding in dark water.

I throw drop shots FREQUENTLY from shore.

Here's a link that goes into 'a little' more detail.

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=132943.msg1452788#new
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:09:01 PM by analfisherman »
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

bigjim5589

• Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »

I'm cheap,  lo  but I have bought a lot of lures over the years, "cheap" stuff & higher end stuff. I never gave the question much thought before, mainly because where I fished most in the past, "bank" fishing was more from bridges than the shore unless it was saltwater. Limited access to the water is a problem in many places I've fished over the years, so some type of watercraft was necessary, particularly for bass fishing. Otherwise, I fished for whatever I could catch, any type of fish.

I learned at a very early age that losing lures was part of fishing, and if you don't choose the best lure type for the water being fished, you spend more time snagged than you do fishing. That meant I didn't throw many treble hook lures from shore, unless I was some place that I didn't have to worry about hanging them up. I used jigs, spinnerbaits & weedless spoons a lot from the bank, and they don't have to be expensive to work. The location dictated what I would be willing to throw.

Also, because I've been making a lot of my own lures now for many years, if I lose one, it's not a big deal, as I just make more. I don't like losing lures, but it happens.

I guess now I use the same tackle for the most part from a boat as I do from shore, just choose differently what I tie to end of the line, but don't make that choice because of the price I paid for the lure.  ~gf
No one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being UNDER it!
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!
http://tidewaterflyblog.blogspot.com/

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »

I use the same tackle bank or boat fishing.  For example, 1 rapala, 1 spinner, several hooks worms, etc ....

The only difference is I limit the number of them.  If and when they get lost, I call it a day.
1990 16' Pro Deep-V
Minkota 55 lbs. thrust up front
Helix 7" DI on the bow/Helix 7" SI at the transom

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »

That's a good one, can I steal that?

FloridaFishinFool

• Largemouth
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 07:50:23 AM »

This! But I don't carry a ton of stuff for bank fishing.

I went yesterday to a small lake here in central Florida and all I carried was two rods with two lures on them. Not one extra lure did I carry. Just a pair of stainless needle nose pliers was my only extra. I caught around 15+ bass in 2 hours and never had a need for a 3rd lure.

Those bass were hitting hard yesterday. On at least 2 or 3 occasions they hit the lure right at my feet just as I was about to lift it out of the water. I did not even have to reel in a bass, just lift the rod tip and raise the fish out of the water. To me that is not as much fun as reeling in a jumping bass from the end of a cast.

I confess I did go back to the SUV for more treble stinger hooks for the swimbait. It definitely increases the hookup percentage big time. Yesterday every bass caught on the swimbait was hooked by the added stinger treble hook.

But no, I would not use cheaper lures for bank fishing. If I do lose anything it is going to be the good stuff.

FISH520

• Charter Member
  • HERE FISHY FISHY
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2017, 11:57:12 PM »

That's a good one, can I steal that?
Yes sir 😎   it's the truth damn it

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2017, 05:28:41 AM »

I don't fish from the bank much.   But when I do it's like Robin Williams, a place for my stuff routine.  I take some of my stuff and put it in another box to take with me.  Same stuff that is in my boat because that is where my confidence is.
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »

I don't fish from the bank much.   But when I do it's like Robin Williams, a place for my stuff routine.  I take some of my stuff and put it in another box to take with me.  Same stuff that is in my boat because that is where my confidence is.
I thought the stuff routine was George Carlin?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »

Yeah I know George Carlin had a "Stuff" routine.

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »

Ya'll are right, brain fart on my part.  I even have a cassette around here somewhere.
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »

Of course Carlin is on cassette LOL some of the younger bassers would say what's a cassette?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

dylan7mm

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »

I use cheap baits from the bank except my top water frogs but mainly because if you get a top water frog hung up you have bigger problems! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.