How many of you have gotten uncomfortable lately?

Started by Capt. BassinLou, March 20, 2017, 07:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Let me clarify a little further on what I mean. How many of you have taken steps to try and adopted utilizing new techniques or baits to increase your skill set as a bank fishing angler?

Since I posed the question, I will use myself as an example. I fish soft plastics often when I bank fish, however you tell me to REALLY slow it down and fish it SLOWLY and I start becoming REALLY uncomfortable. Fishing slow to me is like watching paint dry while someone is running their nails down a chalk board. However... over I time I have learned that slowing down in given situations has its advantages and has yielded me nice fish where I wouldn't have caught them otherwise with other faster techniques I employ.

So with that being said, when was the last time you got uncomfortable?

cport

Throwing a chatterbait in a small pond. It feels like I am spooking all the fish, even though I know better.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

cortman

Throwing an a-rig. Sounds like a fat man belly flopping when it hits the water. Haven't gotten anything on it yet but I'm still trying!

zippyduck

Throwing big swimbaits, the kasploosh in annoying, like throwing a brick in the water. And the slow retrieve takes an eternity, only to get one bite.

I'd rather drag a C-rig.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SFL BassHunter

So I don't think there is a "technique" I feel uncomfortable with when bank fishing.
I can fish as slow as molasses or as fast as LMG. Speed isn't an issue either.

But I do get uncomfortable fishing deep water. Because most of my fishing is done shallow if I go to a lake or pond that has some deeper waters I tend to question the technique I am using. I become impatient and tend to change techniques constantly to figure out a bite. Fishing deep means there are no targets to cast to on a visual level.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

I got drunk and woke up in a Wal-Mart parking lot naked. I was pretty uncomfortable.

But seriously, anything that is waaaay slow, and I'm bored. If I'm bored I'm uncomfortable. I was flipping a worm one day. I was trying to fish it slow back to the boat. Then I was just getting pissed off. So I had to flip, bounce, and reel back quick to make the next flip. Funny thing is, I started catching fish like that. Lol.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 20, 2017, 08:21:20 PM
I got drunk and woke up in a Wal-Mart parking lot naked. I was pretty uncomfortable.
<")))>{
Did anybody notice?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

<")))>{

So in other words just another normal Saturday morning for LMG.  ;) ~shade lo
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Smallie_Stalker

I don't know why it is, but in the small ponds I fish I really don't like fishing swimbaits of any kind. It's not the retrieve speed because I can fish as slow or fast as necessary. It's not fear of getting snagged or losing the bait. But if I don't catch a fish within the first five or ten minutes on one then I switch to something else. Probably more of a lack of confidence thing I guess. I will have to try and force myself to throw them more this year and be a little more patient with them.

Good post Lou.  ~c~

FISH520

But seriously, anything that is waaaay slow, and I'm bored. If I'm bored I'm uncomfortable. I was flipping a worm one day. I was trying to fish it slow back to the boat. Then I was just getting pissed off. So I had to flip, bounce, and reel back quick to make the next flip. Funny thing is, I started catching fish like that. Lol.

<")))>{
Was your bird with you 😎

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on March 27, 2017, 04:35:32 PM
I don't know why it is, but in the small ponds I fish I really don't like fishing swimbaits of any kind. It's not the retrieve speed because I can fish as slow or fast as necessary. It's not fear of getting snagged or losing the bait. But if I don't catch a fish within the first five or ten minutes on one then I switch to something else. Probably more of a lack of confidence thing I guess. I will have to try and force myself to throw them more this year and be a little more patient with them.

Good post Lou.  ~c~
Smallie I was the same way with the spinnerbait. I have always had them in my box, and never threw them, the skirt collars will break apart in my box because they were that old and just sit there. Then one day, on an outing, nothing was working, and said to myself what the heck. To my surprise, I started catching fish. After that I continued throwing it with a bit of success until over time they became part of my technique and bait rotation.

Another technique that I recently picked up and dabble with from time to time are jigs. I first started using them with more consistency when I became a member of UB. Talking with Mike Cork for a bit helped me understand the capabilities of this bait and it has helped me catch pretty nice fish over the last few years.

Swimbaits. Never really threw them until I fished a tournament with LMG a couple  years ago. Watching how he fished them allowed me to study the bait and witness how effective they can be.

Point I'm trying to make here is by keeping an open mind on techniques that we would not normally throw  can quickly become a "confidence bait" by utilizing them a bit more.

coldfront

Quote from: zippyduck on March 20, 2017, 07:51:26 PM
Throwing big swimbaits, the kasploosh in annoying, like throwing a brick in the water. And the slow retrieve takes an eternity, only to get one bite.

I'd rather drag a C-rig.

think about getting/tossing the big spro rat... spawn, post spawn..   :-*  go brown.

Kris

I have set myself up to be uncomfortable this Season.  I have always been a mostly soft plastics guy.  Used to be a joke with me that if you saw me fishing you could bet I was using a worm or crawdad.  Two Seasons ago I started using a new for me presentation, wacky worms.  I have been very successful with them but they are still soft plastics.
Back in the day I owned one spinning rod and that was used for tubes and a tiny jig for smallmouths.   I am scheduled for a Club Tournament on Saturday and I have set up my two spinning rods.  I have my Custom Tie with a dropshot and my 703SF with a wacky worm.  This will be a Skinny Dipper and a tiny jig to start.  I also set up with a crankbait (Ikari) on my 705CB, a 5/0 hook on my 734 for Doc Irv's BT Bomber and a TR setup on my Skeet Reese.  I am not one to throw crankbaits much but have decided to try them more often this Season.  Notice I am also feeding my soft plastics dependency really well.
Looking forward to having a very productive Season this year.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

HoffDaddy

Good afternoon.  I am new to this forum and love it.  I am forcing myself this year to start using jigs more.  Its killing me but I am making an effort to use them.  I am more of a spinnerbait, fluke type presentation.   Any advice would be great.  I look forward to reading more post from everyone. 
Bass man by day and catfishman by night.....

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: HoffDaddy on April 05, 2017, 10:01:22 AM
Good afternoon.  I am new to this forum and love it.  I am forcing myself this year to start using jigs more.  Its killing me but I am making an effort to use them.  I am more of a spinnerbait, fluke type presentation.   Any advice would be great.  I look forward to reading more post from everyone.

Welcome to UB HoffDaddy! Make sure you swing by the "Let Us Get to Know You" http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?board=254.0 section and tell us a little about yourself, maybe the environments you fish in and stuff like that!

As for advice, there are many on here more proficient with a jig than I am. But I have some success with them. I personally fish them slow like I fish my worms. But a jig can be fished many different ways.
It sounds to me like you are more of a fast presentation type of fisherman. So keep in mind a swimjig can be a great option for you. Basically a spinnerbait without the blades. Throw a swimbait on the back of the jig and swim it!

You can cast out to vegetation or cover and many times get a strike as the jig is dropping in the water column. If you don't get a hit you can drag it along the bottom, or hop it from time to time. Make sure if your jig hits the bottom you let it sit for a moment. Let the strands of skirt flare out to entice the bass. If nothing happens move it, jiggle it, hop it or drag it, then let it sit again.

If you feel a strike on the jig many of the time it will feel like a "thud".
Stick to natural colors to start. Browns, Greens, Black and Blue, Black.

Also you need to make sure you know the difference between your jig hitting rock, or brush or grass, compared to a bite. That just takes a little time and practice.
Good luck and stick with it. Jigs can get you some big bites!
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: HoffDaddy on April 05, 2017, 10:01:22 AM
ALso here is a link to a jig advice discussion.

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=135014.0
Florida Bass Fishing

LEGION

I get uncomfortable any time throwing spinners, chatters[which I have yet to catch a fish on], crankbaits whether dd's, squares, lipless, and I despise topwaters though I am now getting into frog fishing just ordered some. I am 45 and since I was 13 and the year Stevenson caught ethyl on Lake Fork and reading Doug Hannon articles I just became engrossed in jig and worm, lizard and craw fishing and night fishing in particular or cold winter days. It's what I've always done. Yes I remember Hannon using spinnerbaits but for me I just got bored and never seemed to get anything but dinks. Topwaters I have no patience for at all...period. I've tried but I just blank out and end up considering napping or tying cement to my feet and diving in the water out of sheer depression. But funny thing is I will work a jig, big worm craw or lizard as slow as you possibly could and love it. I suppose it came from fishing only a few places as a kid that were deeper water with no structure and loving to feel the jigs worms and lizards contact with the bottom. I did use buzzbaits at times but the hook up ratio and probably lack of patience I ended up never using them after my teens. I hate just reeling a spinner or crankbait or the worst is a popper or spook. I just can't do it. And I mostly fish at nightwhere a lot of these would work. I'm a summer all night type guy and I still nail my biggest fish on jigs and big worms/lizards though I know guys like Hannon and Pat Cullen used buzzbaits at night or other topwaters and we all know there track records for huge bass. Only time I would topwater with patience was throwing 12 inch worms at night on floating vegetation. But I don't like anything with treble hooks it seems or just a chunk and wind type approach. I'm just now getting into some of the swimbaits and it's killing me doing a slow reel and dragging bottom or even a faster retrieve but I'm getting used to it but as far as the aforementioned lures it's more than uncomfortable it's almost to the point of needing antidepressants to even attempt to use certain types of lures. In fact I just gave away three high dollar topwater poppers 2 lipless a whopper plopper; and have 5 chatterbaits I doubt I will ever throw again. I know cranks and jerkbaits chatters spinners poppers etc all catch fish, and big fish, but for me if I don't have a jig lizard and large curly tail or more recently for few years custom 9 and 13 inch hand poured straight tail worms; as well as straight craw plastics, I'd just as soon not fish. Yes I know I'm limiting myself but something about working the bottom feels right. And all my biggest fish were caught in hot summer nights using jigs and lizards. And don't ask about finesse fishing I refuse to use light line or spinning equipment. I will say some of the funnest times whether late at night or during morning were topwater weightless worms or lizards swam slowly over tops of grass or even open water.....scares the hell out of you.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LEGION on April 08, 2017, 11:47:46 PM
I get uncomfortable any time throwing spinners, chatters[which I have yet to catch a fish on], crankbaits whether dd's, squares, lipless, and I despise topwaters though I am now getting into frog fishing just ordered some. I am 45 and since I was 13 and the year Stevenson caught ethyl on Lake Fork and reading Doug Hannon articles I just became engrossed in jig and worm, lizard and craw fishing and night fishing in particular or cold winter days. It's what I've always done. Yes I remember Hannon using spinnerbaits but for me I just got bored and never seemed to get anything but dinks. Topwaters I have no patience for at all...period. I've tried but I just blank out and end up considering napping or tying cement to my feet and diving in the water out of sheer depression. But funny thing is I will work a jig, big worm craw or lizard as slow as you possibly could and love it. I suppose it came from fishing only a few places as a kid that were deeper water with no structure and loving to feel the jigs worms and lizards contact with the bottom. I did use buzzbaits at times but the hook up ratio and probably lack of patience I ended up never using them after my teens. I hate just reeling a spinner or crankbait or the worst is a popper or spook. I just can't do it. And I mostly fish at nightwhere a lot of these would work. I'm a summer all night type guy and I still nail my biggest fish on jigs and big worms/lizards though I know guys like Hannon and Pat Cullen used buzzbaits at night or other topwaters and we all know there track records for huge bass. Only time I would topwater with patience was throwing 12 inch worms at night on floating vegetation. But I don't like anything with treble hooks it seems or just a chunk and wind type approach. I'm just now getting into some of the swimbaits and it's killing me doing a slow reel and dragging bottom or even a faster retrieve but I'm getting used to it but as far as the aforementioned lures it's more than uncomfortable it's almost to the point of needing antidepressants to even attempt to use certain types of lures. In fact I just gave away three high dollar topwater poppers 2 lipless a whopper plopper; and have 5 chatterbaits I doubt I will ever throw again. I know cranks and jerkbaits chatters spinners poppers etc all catch fish, and big fish, but for me if I don't have a jig lizard and large curly tail or more recently for few years custom 9 and 13 inch hand poured straight tail worms; as well as straight craw plastics, I'd just as soon not fish. Yes I know I'm limiting myself but something about working the bottom feels right. And all my biggest fish were caught in hot summer nights using jigs and lizards. And don't ask about finesse fishing I refuse to use light line or spinning equipment. I will say some of the funnest times whether late at night or during morning were topwater weightless worms or lizards swam slowly over tops of grass or even open water.....scares the hell out of you.

Nice post Legion. Welcome to UB. Reading through the forums, I find it fascinating how one anglers strength is another anglers weakness. But... I have also found the more well rounded and diverse an angler is in any given situation, the greater the chances of that angler putting more fish in the boat. This is one of the reasons I love this sport so much. I consider myself a work in progress...  lo

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 09, 2017, 08:05:03 AM
I consider myself a work in progress...  lo

Well said Lou.  ~c~ I think if we are honest with ourselves we will say the same thing.

And i agree, great post John.  ~c~

LEGION

Yes agreed; I am a work in progress. I remember using my fathers spinning rods and starting to fish at a young age at a little pond near our house. Hot dogs and dough sitting there watching the line waiting for a catfish. I'd get so bored I'd go chase snakes to catch as I love snakes{kept venomous snake collection for years...cobras and the like}and I'd be chasing snakes and notice my pole moving around and catch some little catfish. But I remember getting up Saturday mornings and watching Jimmy Houston, Hank Parker and Bill Dance fishing shows; and wanting to do what they did and catch those beautiful bass. Fondly remember watching Jimmy Houston going to Gibbons Creek Lake here in Texas and throwing double willow spinners and bumping the blades off the stumps and....wham....big bass. I got hooked. But I remember mostly getting my first baitcasting rod and reel and seeing the bassmaster magazine from 86' with Doug Hannon on the cover and that same year reading Honey Hole magazine and Stevenson holding up Ethyl and from then on it was bass bass bass. And like my post before...just working the jigs or worms feeling the rocks and branches and waiting for that...tick or thump and wondering...ok how big is it. Don't get me wrong it was fun having fish smash spinners or buzzbaits but even at 13 I always thought....these don't look like fish.....nothing in the water looks like a buzzer or spinner. Anyways I'm rambling sorry...it's just fun remembering being young and totally engrossed in hopping jigs and worms and knowing that even the lightest tick could be a giant. In 30 years I've caught one fish on a crankbait and it was a shad rap and I still have it somewhere out in shed lol. Anyways before turning this into the Gettysburg Address; for me I still get that thrill every time I cast a jig, worm, lizard or craw and waiting for that tick tick or that special way they trainwreck a jig. Or throwing a huge weightless worm over weedbeds and waiting for that explosion which imo is far more vicious than frog bites I've seen or other topwaters. I personally think bass hate snakes and don't eat them cause they like them but out of sheer hatred and lizards as well. Anyways, sometimes we get stuck in our ways maybe you guys here can help broaden my approach....but don't bank on it lol. It's almost that thing where I'd rather be a master of one thing instead of mediocre at a bunch of stuff....though with fishing I've seen so many guys who seem to master almost everything and would outfish me any day. But it's all good I'm only competing against the fish not anyone here  ;D

Capt. BassinLou

Legion, I know you're a seasoned bass fisherman, just like a bunch of us here, stick around here long enough, and you will be trying new techniques. Happened to me. Thankfully now I have more techniques in my "fishing tool box"  than I had before, and I work on keeping an open mind to learn more.  ;)

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 09, 2017, 05:23:51 PM
Legion, I know you're a seasoned bass fisherman, just like a bunch of us here, stick around here long enough, and you will be trying new techniques. Happened to me. Thankfully now I have more techniques in my "fishing tool box"  than I had before, and I work on keeping an open mind to learn more.  ;)
Disclaimer: As long as the frog ain't getting bit.

You forgot your disclaimer. I fixed it for you.
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: rickdelprado on April 10, 2017, 08:26:47 AM
You forgot your disclaimer. I fixed it for you.
Well... yeah... you think I'm going to put down the frog down if the frog bite is hot?!?!