Lowrance Hook 8

Started by 195TXW, March 23, 2017, 08:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

195TXW

For those that has experience with a Lowrance Hook 8 system I would appreciate any feedback about the use and anything you may be able to contribute about. I'm 70 years old and don't catch on to all of the latest electron technology as well as I used to.

3deez

unless it's a new model there is a Hook 5,7,and 9. no 8 that I'm aware of. or do you mean a HDS 8? I had a Hook 9 and loved it. you will get broadband and down scan, but no side scan. cannot be linked to another unit. for the bow I think they are great units. I just sold mine to upgrade to another HDS 9 touch to link with the console unit. these units are very easy to learn. actually, you can mount it and set everything on auto and get great results. time on the water will be your best bet. I'm nearly your age and I went for the 9" model. so much easier to see with these old eyes, especially if you split the screen.
2017 Crestliner PT18 Mercury 150 hp Pro XS
Minn Kota 80lb Fortrex
10' Talon

Oldfart9999

If you can afford it go for a higher series, the better the electronics the more you'll like them. Touch screens tend to be intuitive, easier to learn. A very good source of knowledge is "DR. SONAR", he has videos and a newsletter and may be the most knowledgeable man on Lowrance on the planet. I'm 71, will be 72 in a bit less than 2 months, I understand your issues. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishandkamp

I own a Elite 7 which was renamed to the Hook series. I really like it, however if you are looking to get one now I would go to a Elite 7 or 9 TI.  The TI is a much better system. The TI series is basically a baby HDS unit. It offers the touch screen which is nice.  Fishing and GPS wise it does most everything the HDS does. It can also be linked but only share things like waypoints. it can not be linked into things like the outboard so it can not digitally display engine info. Since I do not run a modern high tech outboard I could care less.  It is also only around $1000 not $2000.