Do you have your console and front FF's linked?

Started by lacofdfireman, March 24, 2017, 11:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacofdfireman

Just bought a 2012 Bass Tracker 175TXW and want to put a console and a front mount Fish Finder with GPS on it.  Just wondering if I should buy something that I can link up later or just have 2 separate  units?
I'm new to all of this and have only owned a garmin Striker 4cv before on a kayak. I'm still not proficient at using a FF but am learning.  I figured I could buy 1 unit now and one maybe around summer time.  Budget would be less than $800.  What's the best unit I could buy with the most features in that price range?  And do I want something with the ability to talk to the other?  Why or why not.   Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

I would buy 2 of the same, the new Lowrance Elites look good to me though not everything can be shared I believe waypoints can be. A good alternative can be purchasing factory refurbished that carry a 1 year warranty. I bought an HDS 7 Gen 2 for about 40% off the cost of new, a nice savings. Just google  a manufacturer then factory refurbished.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Deadeye

Don't Trust that just by buying a Name Only you will be able to share information. Some Models do and Some models Do Not.

For example the new Hook Models I do not believe can share info and the low end Garmins do not either.

I have the Garmin Echomaps and they do via a Data Share Cable that shares Waypoints some other stuff. The more expensive models will have Ethernet Cable Connections that will share EVERYTHING. Garmin, Lowrance, Humminbird all offer these.

What is nice about the Waypoint Sharing:

You can be cruising and see something you want to check out later, create a waypoint and come back to it while you are on the Trolling Motor and you'll know where it is.

Same if on the TM and you see something you want to save. When you are driving the boat you will be able to see the Waypoint and come back to fish that spot again.

Now the REAL TRUTH: Most units do more than the average Angler will ever know how to do. Unless you take the time to really get to know your electronics you won't. I will admit I do not know how to do everything my units can do.